View Poll Results: Gay baby

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    51 45.95%
  • No

    60 54.05%
Page 17 of 65 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 647

Thread: Is it OK to abort a gay baby?

  1. #161
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tiamat's better half
    Last Seen
    10-28-11 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,998

    Re: Is it OK to abort a gay baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    Of course it's okay.

    Until a child has been born, named, and adopted into a family, it has no rights and exists solely at the mercy of the woman whose physiology is supporting it.
    That's not true. A born baby left unnamed and abandoned by it's mother in a trash can is still considered a person by today's law.

  2. #162
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Is it OK to abort a gay baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    Just because some of you don't, doesn't mean that all of you don't. There's plenty of violent rhetoric directed against homosexuals, and not all of it from disreputable fringe groups.

    I'll also note that cutting your son or daughter out of your family is a far cry from wishing physical harm upon him or her... but I have seen it happen more than once.
    I think those examples are the exception and not the rule........The problem is if you have a difference of opinion radical gays and feel good liberals automatically brand you a homophobe or a bigot...........

    I have had gay co workers and am presently on a golf team where our best golfer ( a 2 handicap) is gay and when I told him about this forum he and his partner got a huge kick put of it........Its funny they just want to live their lives in peace without a lot of notoriety..........I have been called a bigot and a homophobe many times in this forum and my gay friend tells me that the people that call those names would not know a bigot from a hole in the wall......
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  3. #163
    Sage
    Gibberish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: Is it OK to abort a gay baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    I think those examples are the exception and not the rule........The problem is if you have a difference of opinion radical gays and feel good liberals automatically brand you a homophobe or a bigot...........

    I have had gay co workers and am presently on a golf team where our best golfer ( a 2 handicap) is gay and when I told him about this forum he and his partner got a huge kick put of it........Its funny they just want to live their lives in peace without a lot of notoriety..........I have been called a bigot and a homophobe many times in this forum and my gay friend tells me that the people that call those names would not know a bigot from a hole in the wall......
    It's just name calling to try and belittle the poster and his/her comments. Same as you branding everyone that disagrees with you as "liberal" and "radical left".
    "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
    - Warren Buffett

  4. #164
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Is it OK to abort a gay baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    It's just name calling to try and belittle the poster and his/her comments. Same as you branding everyone that disagrees with you as "liberal" and "radical left".
    I label people in this forum liberals or from the left....I label people in the news radical.........I don't mean it as and insult when I call you a liberal......That is what you are...You should be proud of it........I am a very conservative person and proud of it..........Why are you so ashamed of your liberalism?
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  5. #165
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is it OK to abort a gay baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by talloulou View Post
    That's not true. A born baby left unnamed and abandoned by it's mother in a trash can is still considered a person by today's law.
    I am only concerned with today's law when it might get in my way... and I live my life very carefully in order to avoid situations in which it might. I have already noted that I consider our law's handling of personhood and citizenship to be severely misguided.

  6. #166
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Is it OK to abort a gay baby?

    [QUOTE=Korimyr the Rat;452416]I am only concerned with today's law when it might get in my way... and I live my life very carefully in order to avoid situations in which it might. I have already noted that I consider our law's handling of personhood and citizenship to be severely misguided.[/QUOTE]

    Well at least we can agree on that point.........Hopefully a Conservative SCOTUS will rectify some of those problems......
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  7. #167
    Advisor saggyjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Last Seen
    12-12-07 @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    559

    Re: Is it OK to abort a gay baby?

    I haven't read many posts but I'll add my opinion. I voted yes because if you're going to allow someone to abort a baby for any reason, why not because its gay? Those would have to be some sick parents, but it's their choice.

    By the way I don't think homosexuality is carried in a gene, but I'm going along with the question.
    "Faith consists in believing when it is beyond the power of reason to believe." -Voltaire

  8. #168
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is it OK to abort a gay baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    ... I consider our law's handling of personhood and citizenship to be severely misguided.
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Well at least we can agree on that point... Hopefully a Conservative SCOTUS will rectify some of those problems...
    A "conservative" Supreme Court-- what we call "conservative" these days is anything but-- would make the problem worse by redefining "personhood" to a point where the law can not logically sustain it.

    Not without changing the law in ways that no rational American can support, at least.

  9. #169
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,802

    Re: Is it OK to abort a gay baby?

    Upon rereading this thead, I have found a fatal flaw that perhaps no one else has noticed. The OP has created (as I said earlier) quite an ingenious question, one that tests the consistency of one's values. However, it is in the following post that the flaw is committed:

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman
    But you jsut said that "...it is not my place or anyone else's to dictate to someone else how they should live their lives..."

    A mother aborting a potuntially gay baby is doing just that. How can you argue that she shouldnt have to defend her decision when that decision is based on how someone lives their life, and dictates that they cannot live their life in a certain way?
    It is here that the yet to be born is considered a life or a person. This is a position that pro-choicers do not adhere to. Therefore chosing how this, yet to be born, is to live it's life is fallacious to the pro-choice position, and, therefore, is irrelevant. It is, therefore, completely consistent for one on the pro-choice side to state that it is OK to abort for the reason stated in the OP, as there is no lifestyle to live.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  10. #170
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-06-09 @ 03:03 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    11,946

    Re: Is it OK to abort a gay baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Upon rereading this thead, I have found a fatal flaw that perhaps no one else has noticed. The OP has created (as I said earlier) quite an ingenious question, one that tests the consistency of one's values. However, it is in the following post that the flaw is committed:



    It is here that the yet to be born is considered a life or a person. This is a position that pro-choicers do not adhere to. Therefore chosing how this, yet to be born, is to live it's life is fallacious to the pro-choice position, and, therefore, is irrelevant. It is, therefore, completely consistent for one on the pro-choice side to state that it is OK to abort for the reason stated in the OP, as there is no lifestyle to live.
    Abortion is allowed at any point in pregnancy. Some on this thread are making a distinction at the age of the fetus. That isn't the question--the question is: is it is a "good enough" reason to abort a baby simply because she has hypothetical "gay gene".

    Your "yet to be born" WILL live if not aborted. As jallman stated, the intention of the mother is the determiner of the personhood at the pre-viable stage. If a woman chooses to base her decision to abort on the "lifestyle" (I personally hate that term) the child will live--has she not already decided the personhood of her "yet to be born?" And then--isn't she dictating to another how he/she should live? Yes--she chooses he/she should NOT live due to the "person" he or she is.

Page 17 of 65 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •