View Poll Results: Should criminal records of adults be erased after their sentence has been served?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes upon release for all offenders

    3 5.26%
  • Yes upon release for non-violent offenders and never for violent offenders

    7 12.28%
  • Yes upon releases for non-violent offenders and a certain amount of time for violent offenses.

    2 3.51%
  • Yes after 1-5 years

    1 1.75%
  • Yes after 6-10 years

    3 5.26%
  • Yes after 11-15 years

    0 0%
  • Yes after 16-20 years

    0 0%
  • Yes after 21-30 years

    0 0%
  • Yes but time of record deletion should depend on offense.

    17 29.82%
  • Criminal records should never be erased.

    24 42.11%
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 102

Thread: Should criminal records of adults be erased after their sentence has been served?

  1. #91
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Should criminal records of adults be erased after their sentence has been served?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I been thinking about this subject for a few days for a while now.If we can trust a former criminal to be in the general public,then shouldn't we erase that person's criminal so that he or she may not be impaired in getting a job or anything else someone may perform a background check for?
    Depends on the nature of the crime, and should be considered on a case by case basis. If they served their time for a non-violent offense, and have not committed any other crimes within a specified time period for their offense, the person should be able to go to a board, or court, and have the record expunged.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  2. #92
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,445

    Re: Should criminal records of adults be erased after their sentence has been served?

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    I need you to rephrase your question please, it did not compute.
    Has the notion ever dawned upon you that part of the reason for your statistic is the lack of law enforcement and prison capacity in the developing world.

  3. #93
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:58 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Should criminal records of adults be erased after their sentence has been served?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Has the notion ever dawned upon you that part of the reason for your statistic is the lack of law enforcement and prison capacity in the developing world.
    ...probably the lack of laws, too.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #94
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Should criminal records of adults be erased after their sentence has been served?

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    The Federal government itself can only estimate how many criminal statutes it has on the books. It can only estimate how many regulations have criminal penalties. If you call a Federal agency looking for a binding interpretation of the regulations they themselves wrote, they'll tell you that it's up to the DoJ to decide who to prosecute when for violating what regulations.

    While I'm sure you know you haven't murdered or assaulted or raped or robbed anyone, I guarantee you that you do not know whether or not you have broken a law that would net you prison time if the authorities bothered to catch up to you.
    Yep, somehow the vast majority of our population goes through life without having a criminal record. And I'd say most folks who do don't have one that includes federal crimes. Fail.

    Again, if you don't want the record, don't do the crime.

  5. #95
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Should criminal records of adults be erased after their sentence has been served?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    There are damn few drivers out there who follow all the rules 100% of the time. Don't kid yourself into believing that you're one of those few just because the police save many of those for "special circumstances".
    Dream on, most of us don't commit vehicular felonies. And let me just say, I've heard that argument before and it was lame every time. Some people do indeed follow the traffic laws 100% of the time. It just makes whomever poses such nonsense feel better about their own inability to follow the law.

  6. #96
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Should criminal records of adults be erased after their sentence has been served?

    I think it should depend on the crime and circumstances, but I think it should be possible, and definitely more so than it is now. There are some who should not ever lose their record, but this should still be on a case-by-case basis (I won't just say "serious offenses" as I was going to because really I think certain repeat offenders should have the same stigma since it would seem they are unable to control themselves even after the punishment if they are still doing it).

    Now, I think that we should do this for a reason I saw early in this thread, it could help to encourage some people to stay away from criminal activity, particularly dumb kids who have the rest of their lives ahead of them.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #97
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,445

    Re: Should criminal records of adults be erased after their sentence has been served?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    ...probably the lack of laws, too.
    One would think that the notion of less crime in Congo or Afghanistan would stir a critical thought.

  8. #98
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,803

    Re: Should criminal records of adults be erased after their sentence has been served?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    One would think that the notion of less crime in Congo or Afghanistan would stir a critical thought.
    Is there less crime or is there less enforcement of crime? That's the question.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  9. #99
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,445

    Re: Should criminal records of adults be erased after their sentence has been served?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Is there less crime or is there less enforcement of crime? That's the question.
    Everywhere I go, people are people and a lack of a legit law enforcement means more crime. But hey, let's not allow logic to ruin an intellectually dishonest stat.

  10. #100
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:58 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Should criminal records of adults be erased after their sentence has been served?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Is there less crime or is there less enforcement of crime? That's the question.
    Do different societies even consider the same things as crimes? Murder, theft, etc., sure.

    Reading your spouse's e-mail? Not recycling properly? Untangling a whale from a net before the state could come do it?

    Almost Everything Is A Crime: 14 Most Ridiculous Things That Americans Are Being Arrested For
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •