View Poll Results: Should prostitution be legal?

Voters
135. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    116 85.93%
  • No

    19 14.07%
Page 15 of 41 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 401

Thread: Should prostitution be legal?

  1. #141
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,038

    Re: Should prostitution be legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I don't know. What do they do in Nevada where there are legal brothels? I would hope they would use protection and for the most part that wouldn't be an issue. I'm quite sure if prostitution was a legal and regulated industry that condoms would probably be mandatory for them.
    I'm willing to bet that most of the girls, if not all, voluntarily go on birth control if they don't have some clause in their employment contract that says they need to be on birth control to work there. A pregnant prostitute is not likely to get nearly as much business as one that isn't pregnant. At the very least, a pregnancy would require a good amount of time out of the bedroom when the baby comes, which would not be good for business. I don't know exactly how that would work but I highly doubt it is a major problem.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #142
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,038

    Re: Should prostitution be legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
    I can't believe this crap..do you think women enjoy being a prostitute??

    They may enjoy the financial wealth it may bring them..(all overseen by men)

    But ENJOY..nah!!
    I bet some do, such as "escorts". They probably have no issue doing what they do because the businesses are normally run like a legitimate business and they pull in major amounts of money.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #143
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should prostitution be legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I'm willing to bet that most of the girls, if not all, voluntarily go on birth control if they don't have some clause in their employment contract that says they need to be on birth control to work there. A pregnant prostitute is not likely to get nearly as much business as one that isn't pregnant. At the very least, a pregnancy would require a good amount of time out of the bedroom when the baby comes, which would not be good for business. I don't know exactly how that would work but I highly doubt it is a major problem.
    I would think that in order for it to become legalized that condoms would be mandatory simply because of STDs. Of course, that's just a theory. But gosh, I think any guy would visit a prostitute and not wear one voluntarily himself is just foolish.

    Also, I can't see pregnancy being any more of an issue than it probably is now.

  4. #144
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should prostitution be legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    I completely agree that regulated prostitution can improve the lives of existing sex workers.

    However, as Europe's current situation highlights, legalized prostitution can have a tendency to be something of a double-edged sword. Legalizing the sex industry results in increased demand for sex workers, which makes the overall industry larger than it would've been before legalization. In Europe at least, this increased demand has often been met by human trafficking put in place by organized crime families, who take their workers from more poverty stricken regions of the world like Eastern Europe and Africa.

    It can also be extremely difficult for authorities to shut these operations down once they are in place, as it is nearly impossible to prove beyond a doubt which sex workers have been trafficked and which have not after the fact.

    The same could conceivably happen over here. The last thing we want is to legalize prostitution in order to improve the lives of street walkers just to open the door for drug cartels to set up shop and open their own line of brothels stocked with latin american workers that may, or may not, happen to be trafficked sex slaves.
    I wanted to say that I can understand what you mean by the demand perhaps increasing the supply, but I think that regulation would be helpful in tracking these people, and getting the girls (or boys) some help. There would be paper work and paper trails. The way it is now, there is none of that, so it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

  5. #145
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,038

    Re: Should prostitution be legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    Again, according to the article.



    When most of these women wouldn't even be in Europe in the first place if it were not legalized prostitution, I would imagine that it makes it quite a bit easier to get an idea of the overall number that might have been trafficked in illegally.

    As I said before, it's not like this is some kind of widely debunked fringe claim. It is pretty widely acknowledged by the European community. There's actually a lot of literature on the subject.

    European Union Report Details Growth Of Human Trafficking



    I'm fairly sure that I never claimed to be anything of the kind.

    Hell, my leaning isn't even "libertarian."
    And we have foreign women who are trafficked to the US for prostitution as well. Many are. And it is illegal here. So saying that most of them are foreigners in no way proves anything because you don't know how many would have been there if prostitution was still illegal.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #146
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,038

    Re: Should prostitution be legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I would think that in order for it to become legalized that condoms would be mandatory simply because of STDs. Of course, that's just a theory. But gosh, I think any guy would visit a prostitute and not wear one voluntarily himself is just foolish.

    Also, I can't see pregnancy being any more of an issue than it probably is now.
    I absolutely agree about the condoms, I'm just saying that it seems to me that many of the girls would not want to get pregnant and use multiple methods of protection if they can.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #147
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:55 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Should prostitution be legal?

    In countries that have legalized prostitution that is regulated for safety still have illegal prostitution as well. Primarily women who either cannot or do not want to meet the minimum safety and/or health requirements. Fewer in numbers, proportionately, but still there.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #148
    Professor Hypersonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    11-04-13 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    1,379

    Re: Should prostitution be legal?

    Prostitution should be legal and regulated. However, I believe if prostitution becomes legal divorce rates would increase greatly in the U.S because of accessability and the lack of fear from legal retribution.
    Last edited by Hypersonic; 06-09-13 at 01:08 AM.

  9. #149
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,038

    Re: Should prostitution be legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hypersonic View Post
    Prostitution should be legal and regulated. However, I believe if prostitution becomes legal divorce rates would increase greatly in the U.S because of accessability and the lack of fear from legal retribution.
    I don't agree. I think first that if a married man or woman would be willing to pay for sex that they would also have no issue with going to a bar to pick up a stranger to have sex with. Second, I think there are couples out there that have no issue with their spouse going to a prostitute.

    Every time this argument comes up, all I can think about is "The Best Little Whorehouse In Texas". Especially the part where they are interviewing the townpeople on the news, and the old lady says that she considered it a blessing for her husband, when he was alive, to go there. It gave her a break. I know its just a movie, but I can definitely see some people feeling this way.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #150
    Educator HumanBeing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    745

    Re: Should prostitution be legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    It is not a simple question. Trying to simply things which are not creates wrong impressions. Some things you did not specify in your question, but need to be known to answer accurately.

    • Are you referring to all prostitution? Street walking, brothels, escorts all included? The arguments are different for each
    • Completely legal or with regulations?
    • On a federal, state or local level?


    To illustrate just with the first question: Escorts are largely unprosecuted for a variety of reasons(the biggest being it is virtually impossibly to catch them in the act so to speak) and have little to no effect on any one outside of their customers. Brothels on the other hand create an issue of where exactly do you want to let them set up(the NIMBY effect). Street walkers have that same NIMBY effect, but even moreso. Most people do not want prostitutes out walking by their house and businesses, and for legitimate reasons.
    I think it is a simple question. Anything that is legal is regulated in one way or another, and I worded it as I did because I'm not interested in debating different types of prostitution, I simply wanted to know whether sex is something you think people should be allowed to buy or sell.

    It's like asking if weed should be legal. You can over complicate the question by asking about all the different scenarios in which it could be legal, but the basic question is still valid.
    If you hate capitalism so much, then just write everything in lower case. Problem solved.

Page 15 of 41 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •