View Poll Results: Should prostitution be legal?

Voters
135. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    116 85.93%
  • No

    19 14.07%
Page 14 of 41 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 401

Thread: Should prostitution be legal?

  1. #131
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Should prostitution be legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    I don't know about that. I see nothing wrong with having closed circuit cameras in the rooms of the brothels to monitor what happens in the rooms, and tell the customers about it.

    While there may be some customers who wouldn't go to those brothels, I'm sure there will be a number who won't mind it, considering it is a legal form of prostitution and that the evidence from the monitoring will protect them just as much as it would the prostitute.
    Could be a money-maker... for an extra $40 you get a copy of the video.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #132
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Should prostitution be legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by HumanBeing View Post
    Simple question.
    Yes, with the stipulation that the practice be regulated as any other business where issues of sanitation and health are a concern. Prostitution will always be around no matter how you legislate it. Legalizing and regulating prostitution will create a safer environment for the workers and their customers.

    Plus, I've always kind of wanted to run a 19th century style saloon and brothel. Package deal also includes a light meal after services are rendered.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  3. #133
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,803

    Re: Should prostitution be legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by HumanBeing View Post
    Simple question.
    This is obviously an issue for you. If you can't get laid in America with a fist full of fifties legality is a minor problem. I would suggest that you are going about it all wrong.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  4. #134
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Should prostitution be legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    I don't know about that. I see nothing wrong with having closed circuit cameras in the rooms of the brothels to monitor what happens in the rooms, and tell the customers about it.

    While there may be some customers who wouldn't go to those brothels, I'm sure there will be a number who won't mind it, considering it is a legal form of prostitution and that the evidence from the monitoring will protect them just as much as it would the prostitute.
    The VAST majority of escort patrons are married.

    The last thing they would want is to be filmed while they commit adultery.

    And how could they be sure that these brothels would not blackmail those that are married with these videos.


    No, CCT would never fly in a brothel.

  5. #135
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should prostitution be legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    Again, according to the article.



    When most of these women wouldn't even be in Europe in the first place if it were not legalized prostitution, I would imagine that it makes it quite a bit easier to get an idea of the overall number that might have been trafficked in illegally.

    As I said before, it's not like this is some kind of widely debunked fringe claim. It is pretty widely acknowledged by the European community. There's actually a lot of literature on the subject.
    Exactly, because it's been legalized, it is EASIER to track, which in turn makes it easier to investigate and perhaps even get a prosecution. I am of the opinion that legalization along with regulation would help put these traffickers out of business, or at least put a large dent in their business.

  6. #136
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Should prostitution be legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Exactly, because it's been legalized, it is EASIER to track, which in turn makes it easier to investigate and perhaps even get a prosecution. I am of the opinion that legalization along with regulation would help put these traffickers out of business, or at least put a large dent in their business.
    I completely agree that regulated prostitution can improve the lives of existing sex workers.

    However, as Europe's current situation highlights, legalized prostitution can have a tendency to be something of a double-edged sword. Legalizing the sex industry results in increased demand for sex workers, which makes the overall industry larger than it would've been before legalization. In Europe at least, this increased demand has often been met by human trafficking put in place by organized crime families, who take their workers from more poverty stricken regions of the world like Eastern Europe and Africa.

    It can also be extremely difficult for authorities to shut these operations down once they are in place, as it is nearly impossible to prove beyond a doubt which sex workers have been trafficked and which have not after the fact.

    The same could conceivably happen over here. The last thing we want is to legalize prostitution in order to improve the lives of street walkers just to open the door for drug cartels to set up shop and open their own line of brothels stocked with latin american workers that may, or may not, happen to be trafficked sex slaves.
    Last edited by Gathomas88; 06-08-13 at 11:02 PM.

  7. #137
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should prostitution be legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    I completely agree that regulated prostitution can improve the lives of existing sex workers.

    However, as Europe's current situation highlights, legalized prostitution can have a tendency to be something of a double-edged sword. Legalizing the sex industry results in increased demand for sex workers, which makes the overall industry larger than it would've been before legalization. In Europe at least, this increased demand has often been met by human trafficking put in place by organized crime families, who take their workers from the more poverty stricken regions of the world like Eastern Europe and Africa.

    The same could conceivably happen over here. The last thing we want is to legalize prostitution in order to improve the lives of street walkers just to open the door for drug cartels to set up shop and open their own line of brothels stocked with latin american workers that may, or may not, happen to be trafficked sex slaves.
    That is what happens NOW because it is illegal though!

  8. #138
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Should prostitution be legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    That is what happens NOW because it is illegal though!
    But it's really not. That's the whole issue.

    Illegal industries have to remain covert on at least some level. This requires that they keep their operation small. Police also have the ability to more or less shut any brothel they find down on sight because prostitution is illegal.

    Once you make prostitution legal, none of this still applies. You wind up with a state of affairs more similar to how Vegas was run for most of the latter half of the 20th Century (i.e. think about the movie Casino). The mob is free to run their business with impunity, and the cops can't interfere unless they have probable cause to do so.

    Again, it can be incredibly difficult to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that a given sex worker is working against their will.
    Last edited by Gathomas88; 06-08-13 at 11:13 PM.

  9. #139
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should prostitution be legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    That is what happens NOW because it is illegal though!
    No, it happens because there is a market for it.

  10. #140
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should prostitution be legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Viktyr Gehrig View Post
    No, it happens because there is a market for it.
    I'm speaking of mob involvement and the criminal activity surrounding it.

Page 14 of 41 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •