View Poll Results: Should the school have banned the reading of the prayer by the student?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    30 27.27%
  • No

    75 68.18%
  • Undecided

    5 4.55%
Page 89 of 127 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast
Results 881 to 890 of 1269

Thread: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

  1. #881
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    earned a right?......
    Yes, as bestowed by the school board. I'm not into semantics this evening...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  2. #882
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Yes, as bestowed by the school board. I'm not into semantics this evening...
    well then you have just shot your argument in the foot then!

    you stated the school board bestowed a right....if the board can bestow, then the board, can take away and deny what he wishes to do.

  3. #883
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    well then you have just shot your argument in the foot then!

    you stated the school board bestowed a right....if the board can bestow, then the board, can take away and deny what he wishes to do.
    My argument relates to freedoms while you want to argue semantics. If by graduating at the top of the class a person earns the privilege of addressing his/her classmates, why do you think that address requires prior approval?
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  4. #884
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,328

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    well then you have just shot your argument in the foot then!

    you stated the school board bestowed a right....if the board can bestow, then the board, can take away and deny what he wishes to do.
    Somehow, I don't think this was a captive audience. Anyone with the cajones to recite the Lord's Prayer at a high school gathering must be very assured in the fact their audience has an excitement launch point of -1.236..............................

  5. #885
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    My argument relates to freedoms while you want to argue semantics. If by graduating at the top of the class a person earns the privilege of addressing his/her classmates, why do you think that address requires prior approval?
    tell me, can the student, get up before the audience and preform any free speech he /she desires?

  6. #886
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    tell me, can the student, get up before the audience and preform any free speech he /she desires?
    As far as I'm concerned, yes, and if you don't like what is being spoken, feel free to exit...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  7. #887
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzai View Post
    Somehow, I don't think this was a captive audience. Anyone with the cajones to recite the Lord's Prayer at a high school gathering must be very assured in the fact their audience has an excitement launch point of -1.236..............................
    but the fact is, people have come together for a reason, and it is for graduation, ...not to be used as a soapbox.

    if i was in the audience, and someone started talking about wiggen,/witches, of something i find offensive ..i would not be pleased, as is some of the people in the audience over the lords prayer.

  8. #888
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Some are 18. The majority would still be 17 since graduation occurs in May which is only 5 months into the new year, unless they stayed back. And even so, they are still obliged to follow school rules.
    So they are only like what, a few months off? That doesn't seem that important to take note of.

  9. #889
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    but the fact is, people have come together for a reason, and it is for graduation, ...not to be used as a soapbox.

    if i was in the audience, and someone started talking about wiggen,/witches, of something i find offensive ..i would not be pleased, as is some of the people in the audience over the lords prayer.
    I'm sure the King wasn't pleased with our founders either, but they found the gonads to speak...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  10. #890
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,328

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    but the fact is, people have come together for a reason, and it is for graduation, ...not to be used as a soapbox.

    if i was in the audience, and someone started talking about wiggen,/witches, of something i find offensive ..i would not be pleased, as is some of the people in the audience over the lords prayer.
    Well, then all the speaker is guilty of is making an inappropriate speech and maybe making some people uncomfortable at his awkwardness.............Teenagers are like that.............................

Page 89 of 127 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •