View Poll Results: Should the school have banned the reading of the prayer by the student?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    30 27.27%
  • No

    75 68.18%
  • Undecided

    5 4.55%
Page 87 of 127 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997 ... LastLast
Results 861 to 870 of 1269

Thread: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

  1. #861
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    Is that how we're downplaying tyranny nowadays.... I see....
    LOl! It's tyranny now? Good grief!

  2. #862
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    I graduated at 16, but that was an exception, not the rule. Most are 18 or 19...
    No most are 17 nowadays.

  3. #863
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    example of what i mean:

    you and i standing on the side of a road, and i start to smoke in front of you, do you have a right to make me put it out?..........no, becuase you are not bound to stand next to me, you are free to move away from me go somewhere else.

    but if you and i are standing in a public building, and we both have to use the public building, this forces us to come together so our individual business can be transacted, under this situation, you dont have rights to do as you will, becuase other people are involved in that close nit environment.

    this means you cant just say anything you want to, you cant have a firearm, hold a prayer service there, you cannot be immune from searches, if your suspected of a crime...so your rights are limited.
    No one is forced to attend a HS graduation ceremony...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  4. #864
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    example of what i mean:

    you and i standing on the side of a road, and i start to smoke in front of you, do you have a right to make me put it out?..........no, becuase you are not bound to stand next to me, you are free to move away from me go somewhere else.

    but if you and i are standing in a public building, and we both have to use the public building, this forces us to come together so our individual business can be transacted, under this situation, you dont have rights to do as you will, becuase other people are involved in that close nit environment.

    this means you cant just say anything you want to, you cant have a firearm, hold a prayer service there, you cannot be immune from searches, if your suspected of a crime...so your rights are limited.
    Some people have a REAL difficult time with common sense. And seriously, I think these people are upset because they feel as if their religion is being persecuted simply by preventing some obnoxious boy from proselytizing at a school function.

  5. #865
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    No one is forced to attend a HS graduation ceremony...
    That's not true. It is to be taken into account that parents will be attendance to watch their children graduate. That would be considered a captive audience. Just as people standing in line at a supermarket.

  6. #866
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    07-16-13 @ 12:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,568

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Some people have a REAL difficult time with common sense. And seriously, I think these people are upset because they feel as if their religion is being persecuted simply by preventing some obnoxious boy from proselytizing at a school function.
    They dont believe in actual freedom. Just enforcing their views.

  7. #867
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    No most are 17 nowadays.
    Okay, let's assume you're correct. What difference does it make? They are either getting ready to go of to college or enter the workforce. They are adults for all practical purposes, but that is not really the point. The point is the government shall make no law regarding the free exercise of religion or freedom of speech. I don't need government to protect me from being offended...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  8. #868
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,328

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Some people have a REAL difficult time with common sense. And seriously, I think these people are upset because they feel as if their religion is being persecuted simply by preventing some obnoxious boy from proselytizing at a school function.

    Somehow one gets the impression that this valedictorian was practicing what comes easiest to Christians nowadays--------------Preaching to the converted.........................

  9. #869
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    That's not true. It is to be taken into account that parents will be attendance to watch their children graduate. That would be considered a captive audience. Just as people standing in line at a supermarket.
    No, no one is forced to attend any event...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  10. #870
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Okay, let's assume you're correct. What difference does it make? They are either getting ready to go of to college or enter the workforce. They are adults for all practical purposes, but that is not really the point. The point is the government shall make no law regarding the free exercise of religion or freedom of speech. I don't need government to protect me from being offended...
    They are children, and most of high school students behave as such. That is why rules are necessary. Are you really THAT old that you've forgotten what it was to be a teenager, or were you just exceptionally nerdy?

Page 87 of 127 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •