View Poll Results: Should the school have banned the reading of the prayer by the student?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    30 27.27%
  • No

    75 68.18%
  • Undecided

    5 4.55%
Page 76 of 127 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886126 ... LastLast
Results 751 to 760 of 1269

Thread: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

  1. #751
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    As above. This boy demonstrated his desire to exercise power over the crowd with his religion.
    What a load of crap.

    His desire was to protest the school's policy, nothing more.

  2. #752
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    What a load of crap.

    His desire was to protest the school's policy, nothing more.
    Again, I have to say LOL. You have no idea what his intentions were.

  3. #753
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,725
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    The school can mandate that speeches be subject to preapproval, just as ANY speech at any venue.
    I'm not aware that any speech at any venue is subject to pre-approval. Certainly no speech I have given (there have been a few) was ever subject to approval. In any case, the school has given after-the-fact approval.

    “He’s a graduate now, so there’s nothing we can do about it even if we wanted to,” John Eby told WYFF. “But the bottom line is we’re not going to punish students for expressing their religious faiths.”
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  4. #754
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    I'm not aware that any speech at any venue is subject to pre-approval. Certainly no speech I have given (there have been a few) was ever subject to approval. In any case, the school has given after-the-fact approval.

    “He’s a graduate now, so there’s nothing we can do about it even if we wanted to,” John Eby told WYFF. “But the bottom line is we’re not going to punish students for expressing their religious faiths.”
    I thought the point we were arguing was whether or not it is appropriate? Of course, the only punishment they could dole out would be to hold his diploma, and I don't think anyone wants that. Some people just want stubborn misconceived people who don't understand the principal behind separation of church and state to get it through their thick skulls that if you want to pray then go to church and keep it out of school. Schools are for learning, and NOT about religion. There are already private religious schools for those of you who want to include your religious beliefs in your child's education. There is a lot of diversity in our schools now, and not ALL students are Christian or believe in God or Jesus or Allah or whatever. These kinds of things just make things more complicated for the school and everyone else involved. It could all be simply avoided by NOT DOING IT. I don't think that's asking a lot either.

  5. #755
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,725
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    For you Mr. Jack Hays, since you apparently missed it.
    What is that from?
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  6. #756
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    What is that from?
    That is from the link that clownboy posted.

  7. #757
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,725
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I thought the point we were arguing was whether or not it is appropriate? Of course, the only punishment they could dole out would be to hold his diploma, and I don't think anyone wants that. Some people just want stubborn misconceived people who don't understand the principal behind separation of church and state to get it through their thick skulls that if you want to pray then go to church and keep it out of school. Schools are for learning, and NOT about religion. There are already private religious schools for those of you who want to include your religious beliefs in your child's education. There is a lot of diversity in our schools now, and not ALL students are Christian or believe in God or Jesus or Allah or whatever. These kinds of things just make things more complicated for the school and everyone else involved. It could all be simply avoided by NOT DOING IT. I don't think that's asking a lot either.
    "Here I stand. I can do no other." --Martin Luther
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  8. #758
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    "Here I stand. I can do no other." --Martin Luther
    Sounds like a personal problem.

  9. #759
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,148

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    I'm not aware that any speech at any venue is subject to pre-approval. Certainly no speech I have given (there have been a few) was ever subject to approval. In any case, the school has given after-the-fact approval.

    “He’s a graduate now, so there’s nothing we can do about it even if we wanted to,” John Eby told WYFF. “But the bottom line is we’re not going to punish students for expressing their religious faiths.”
    So he committed a duplicitous act while pushing down an open door. What a triumphal representative of the religious mindset he is...
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  10. #760
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,725
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    That is from the link that clownboy posted.
    Ah. Then it looks like the question has not been settled.

    "Under current law in some jurisdictions, . . ."
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •