View Poll Results: Should the school have banned the reading of the prayer by the student?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    30 27.27%
  • No

    75 68.18%
  • Undecided

    5 4.55%
Page 64 of 127 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114 ... LastLast
Results 631 to 640 of 1269

Thread: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

  1. #631
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by chezc3 View Post
    so if someone objects, i should not do what is my right? Rights are only based on public opinion now?

    The speech is a moment for the individual who through his own achievement is recognized for his or her hard work, and is given time to be recognized and express themselves to their class and the community. I personally find a greater offense that we are teaching our kids, as a last lesson that you may only express yourself so long as what you are expressing passes muster and gets approval by some "authority"

    free speech, but watch what you say.

    The kid wasn't using schools anyway he feels, he was given a moment, he used that moment the way he saw fit. Glory be damned.

    I say good for him, and if i met him i'd shake his hand and be proud to call him countryman.

    I'd also leave him with a parting quote that i would hope he took to heart, one that i did long ago and have never regretted.

    "whoever lays his hand on me to govern me is a usurper and tyrant, and i declare him my enemy."
    p.j. Proudhon

    live free
    for some reason, and iam not going to include you, people think they have rights on other peoples property, business, or public property, to execise any rights they chose, and this simply is not true.

  2. #632
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,784

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    63 pages and the basic facts havent changed

    The school has every right to censor, limit or not allow a privileged speech that is given at a school function.

    now with that said people can debate thier opinions all they want about whether the kid did a good thing, bad thing etc etc but if the facts wont change.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  3. #633
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    So if someone objects, I should not do what is my right? Rights are only based on public opinion now?

    The speech is a moment for the individual who through his own achievement is recognized for his or her hard work, and is given time to be recognized and express themselves to their class and the community. I personally find a greater offense that we are teaching our kids, as a last lesson that you may only express yourself so long as what you are expressing passes muster and gets approval by some "authority"

    Free speech, but watch what you say.

    The kid wasn't using schools anyway he feels, he was given a moment, he used that moment the way he saw fit. Glory be damned.

    I say good for him, and if I met him I'd shake his hand and be proud to call him countryman.

    I'd also leave him with a parting quote that I would hope he took to heart, one that I did long ago and have never regretted.

    "Whoever lays his hand on me to govern me is a usurper and tyrant, and I declare him my enemy."
    P.J. Proudhon

    Live Free
    Look, you can argue the point all you want but the fact is you are wrong. Schools CAN and DO monitor and limit what students can and cannot say in speeches at school-sponsored events.

    IF they didn't all hell would break lose.

  4. #634
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    63 pages and the basic facts havent changed

    The school has every right to censor, limit or not allow a privileged speech that is given at a school function.

    now with that said people can debate thier opinions all they want about whether the kid did a good thing, bad thing etc etc but if the facts wont change.
    Exactly AJ. It obviously isn't sinking in some thick skulls.

  5. #635
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Exactly AJ. It obviously isn't sinking in some thick skulls.
    Yours?
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

  6. #636
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    Yours?
    I understand perfectly what's going on. The school preapproved a speech, and then the kid changed the speech without getting prior approval. This has NOTHING to do with free speech since it is at a school-sponsored event, and just about EVERY event preapproves speeches.

  7. #637
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Do I have to post the link and copy and paste the contents AGAIN because apparently people can't read?

  8. #638
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I understand perfectly what's going on. The school preapproved a speech, and then the kid changed the speech without getting prior approval. This has NOTHING to do with free speech since it is at a school-sponsored event, and just about EVERY event preapproves speeches.
    Apparently you can't take humor. Lighten up.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

  9. #639
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,784

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    Yours?
    While me and CHirsL most certainly dont agree on everything, nor do we have to she is 1000 times the poster you will ever be. Please stick to the topic and dont personally attack posters simply because they proved you wrong.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  10. #640
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    While me and CHirsL most certainly dont agree on everything, nor do we have to she is 1000 times the poster you will ever be. Please stick to the topic and dont personally attack posters simply because they proved you wrong.
    Apparently you can't take humor either.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •