View Poll Results: Should the school have banned the reading of the prayer by the student?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    30 27.27%
  • No

    75 68.18%
  • Undecided

    5 4.55%
Page 61 of 127 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111 ... LastLast
Results 601 to 610 of 1269

Thread: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

  1. #601
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,277

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzai View Post
    I'm no saint....................
    Oh get out

  2. #602
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,840
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzai View Post
    I'm no saint....................
    None is.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  3. #603
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,840
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    Scotus proves me right and supports my claim 100% as already proven with links

    my statement was 100% true
    "schools have the right to censor, limit and not allow a speech at a school function"





    facts and the thread history prove you wrong again.

    tell me that cool line about losing again?
    sorry you lost, lol my statement was 100% true

    like i said if you disagree by all means PLEASE PLEASE provide and factual proof to the contrary
    None of your post is relevant to the case under discussion. You lost.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  4. #604
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,328

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    Oh get out
    I'm just trying to slake my unnatural desires............................

  5. #605
    Professor
    iacardsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,981

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    And you can keep on posting it and it will continue to be ignored. There is no "captive audience" here. This is not a mandatory event. It's entirely voluntary. There is no law mandating graduation ceremonies, they are strictly tradition and are not required for actual matriculation.

    I've posted twice where the SCOTUS considers student speech like that of the valedictorian to be expressions of the student's views, NOT the school's views and thus are protected under the First.
    I will continue to post it because they are a captive audience, they had NO CLUE what was going to happen with this speech. A school sponsored speaker went out of his way to promote his religion over others.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals."
    - Mark Twain
    Run your own nation, play Cybernations.

  6. #606
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,840
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by iacardsfan View Post
    I will continue to post it because they are a captive audience, they had NO CLUE what was going to happen with this speech. A school sponsored speaker went out of his way to promote his religion over others.
    He went out of his way to express his religious convictions. That expression is protected by the Constitution.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  7. #607
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,792

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    None of your post is relevant to the case under discussion. You lost.
    awww thats cute you actually thought this lie would work didnt you, nobody is falling for it LMAO

    sorry the discussion is about you saying my statement was not true and that being false, you lose again

    heres my statement:
    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    The school has every right to censor, limit or not allow any speech that is given as a privileged to anybody at a school function.
    now with that said people can debate thier opinions all they want about whether the kid did a good thing, bad thing etc but the facts wont change.
    heres you saying im wrong:

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Sorry, but you have it wrong.
    Here Soctus proving you wrong and me right

    Main article: Bethel School District v. Fraser

    In Fraser, a high school student was disciplined following his speech to a school assembly at which he nominated a fellow student for a student elective office. The speech contained sexual innuendos, but not obscenity. The Supreme Court found that school officials could discipline the student. In doing so, it recognized that "[t]he process of educating our youth for citizenship in public schools is not confined to books, the curriculum, and the civics class; schools must teach by example the shared values of a civilized social order." Recognizing that one of the important purposes of public education is to inculcate the habits and manners of civility as valued conducive both to happiness and to the practice of self-government, the Supreme Court emphasized that: "Consciously or otherwise, teachers--and indeed the older students--demonstrate the appropriate form of civil discourse and political expression by their conduct and deportment in and out of class." [6] Under the Fraser standard, school officials look not merely to the reasonable risk of disruption—the Tinker standard—but would also balance the freedom of a student's speech rights against the school's interest in teaching students the boundaries of socially appropriate behavior. Schools have discretion to curtail not only obscene speech, but speech that is vulgar, lewd, indecent or plainly offensive.
    Main article: Hazelwood School District v. Kuhlmeier

    The Hazelwood School District case applies the principles set forth in Fraser to curricular matters. In Hazelwood, the Supreme Court upheld a school's decision to censor certain articles in the school newspaper which was produced as part of the school's journalism curriculum. Echoing Fraser, the Supreme Court observed that "[a] school need not tolerate student speech that is inconsistent with 'its basic educational mission' ... even though the government could not censor similar speech outside the school." School authorities and educators do not offend the First Amendment by exercising editorial control over the style and content of student speech in school-sponsored expressive activities so long as their actions are reasonably related to legitimate pedagogical concerns.[7]
    my statement was 100% true
    facts and the thread history prove you wrong again.

    tell me that cool line about losing again?
    sorry you lost, your argument was destroyed lol
    my statement was 100% true

    like i said if you disagree by all means PLEASE PLEASE provide and factual proof to the contrary
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  8. #608
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,840
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    awww thats cute you actually thought this lie would work didnt you, nobody is falling for it LMAO

    sorry the discussion is about you saying my statement was not true and that being false, you lose again

    heres my statement:


    heres you saying im wrong:



    Here Soctus proving you wrong and me right

    my statement was 100% true
    facts and the thread history prove you wrong again.

    tell me that cool line about losing again?
    sorry you lost, your argument was destroyed lol
    my statement was 100% true

    like i said if you disagree by all means PLEASE PLEASE provide and factual proof to the contrary
    The opinions you cite are irrelevant to the case at hand. You lost.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  9. #609
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,792

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    The opinions you cite are irrelevant to the case at hand. You lost.
    opinions? you mean facts, oh white and remind me who said scotus disagrees with me?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    , your claim has been definitively quashed by the SCOTUS. You were wrong
    BOOM you were wrong again, with every post you lose more and more

    heres my statement:
    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    The school has every right to censor, limit or not allow any speech that is given as a privileged to anybody at a school function.
    now with that said people can debate thier opinions all they want about whether the kid did a good thing, bad thing etc but the facts wont change.
    heres you saying im wrong:

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Sorry, but you have it wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    , your claim has been definitively quashed by the SCOTUS. You were wrong

    Here Soctus proving you wrong and me right

    Main article: Bethel School District v. Fraser

    In Fraser, a high school student was disciplined following his speech to a school assembly at which he nominated a fellow student for a student elective office. The speech contained sexual innuendos, but not obscenity. The Supreme Court found that school officials could discipline the student. In doing so, it recognized that "[t]he process of educating our youth for citizenship in public schools is not confined to books, the curriculum, and the civics class; schools must teach by example the shared values of a civilized social order." Recognizing that one of the important purposes of public education is to inculcate the habits and manners of civility as valued conducive both to happiness and to the practice of self-government, the Supreme Court emphasized that: "Consciously or otherwise, teachers--and indeed the older students--demonstrate the appropriate form of civil discourse and political expression by their conduct and deportment in and out of class." [6] Under the Fraser standard, school officials look not merely to the reasonable risk of disruption—the Tinker standard—but would also balance the freedom of a student's speech rights against the school's interest in teaching students the boundaries of socially appropriate behavior. Schools have discretion to curtail not only obscene speech, but speech that is vulgar, lewd, indecent or plainly offensive.
    Main article: Hazelwood School District v. Kuhlmeier

    The Hazelwood School District case applies the principles set forth in Fraser to curricular matters. In Hazelwood, the Supreme Court upheld a school's decision to censor certain articles in the school newspaper which was produced as part of the school's journalism curriculum. Echoing Fraser, the Supreme Court observed that "[a] school need not tolerate student speech that is inconsistent with 'its basic educational mission' ... even though the government could not censor similar speech outside the school." School authorities and educators do not offend the First Amendment by exercising editorial control over the style and content of student speech in school-sponsored expressive activities so long as their actions are reasonably related to legitimate pedagogical concerns.[7]
    my statement was 100% true
    facts and the thread history prove you wrong again.

    tell me that cool line about losing again?
    sorry you lost, your argument was destroyed lol
    my statement was 100% true

    like i said if you disagree by all means PLEASE PLEASE provide and factual proof to the contrary
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  10. #610
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,840
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    opinions? you mean facts, oh white and remind me who said scotus disagrees with me?



    BOOM you were wrong again, with every post you lose more and more

    heres my statement:


    heres you saying im wrong:






















    Here Soctus proving you wrong and me right





    my statement was 100% true
    facts and the thread history prove you wrong again.


    tell me that cool line about losing again?
    sorry you lost, your argument was destroyed lol
    my statement was 100% true

    like i said if you disagree by all means PLEASE PLEASE provide and factual proof to the contrary
    The cases you cite are irrelevant to the matter under discussion. You lost.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •