View Poll Results: Should the school have banned the reading of the prayer by the student?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    30 27.27%
  • No

    75 68.18%
  • Undecided

    5 4.55%
Page 49 of 127 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast
Results 481 to 490 of 1269

Thread: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

  1. #481
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,795

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    Separation of Church and State was in a letter from Jefferson, not the Constution. Fact.
    yes that phrase was in a letter but thats not what we are talking about
    separation from church and state is indeed established in the constitution and has been ruled that way, you claimed its not and you are wrong. FACT

    you are young arent you dave

    also the school does have the right to limit, monitor, censor and not allow speech at school and school functions fact
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  2. #482
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    yes that phrase was in a letter but thats not what we are talking about
    separation from church and state is indeed established in the constitution and has been ruled that way, you claimed its not and you are wrong. FACT

    you are young arent you dave

    also the school does have the right to limit, monitor, censor and not allow speech at school and school functions fact
    Once again the courts got it wrong. Do you also believe it is right that they say churches can't endorse candidates?
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

  3. #483
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,971

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    If the valedictorian in South Carolina had prayed a Muslim prayer instead, what do you honestly think the reaction would have been?
    People having an issue with it, but not claiming its "unconstitutional".

    I think there's a big difference between "It's going to offend the crowd, don't do it" and claiming "That's unconstutional! You can't do it".

  4. #484
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    People having an issue with it, but not claiming its "unconstitutional".

    I think there's a big difference between "It's going to offend the crowd, don't do it" and claiming "That's unconstutional! You can't do it".
    Good point.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

  5. #485
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,971

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by iacardsfan View Post
    Freedom of religion my friend. The Valedictorian is imposing their religious views on people of may different religions,
    HEARING another person pray or speak about religion is "imposing their religious views" upon people?

  6. #486
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,795

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    1.)Once again the courts got it wrong.
    2.)Do you also believe it is right that they say churches can't endorse candidates?
    ooooh the courts got it wrong according to who? you? LMAO

    weird that you mention it was in a letter which was expressing an understanding of the intent and function of the establishment clause and free exercise clause of the 1st amendment by a founding father but yet you imply the courts got it wrong. Thats illogical.

    But regardless of your illogical opinion the fact remains that separation of church and state is established by the constitution.

    your opinion wont change this

    2.) what does this have to do with the topic at hand? thats right nothing just a deflection


    facts
    separation from church and state is indeed established in the constitution and has been ruled that way.
    also the school does have the right to limit, monitor, censor and not allow speech at school and school functions.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #487
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,159

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    Separation of Church and State was in a letter from Jefferson, not the Constution. Fact.
    Actually it is. While the words do not appear in the Constitution, have you considered what the opposite of separation is? It would be the establishment of a State Religion, which is prohibited in the First Amendment.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  8. #488
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    ooooh the courts got it wrong according to who? you? LMAO

    weird that you mention it was in a letter which was expressing an understanding of the intent and function of the establishment clause and free exercise clause of the 1st amendment by a founding father but yet you imply the courts got it wrong. Thats illogical.

    But regardless of your illogical opinion the fact remains that separation of church and state is established by the constitution.

    your opinion wont change this

    2.) what does this have to do with the topic at hand? thats right nothing just a deflection


    facts
    separation from church and state is indeed established in the constitution and has been ruled that way.
    also the school does have the right to limit, monitor, censor and not allow speech at school and school functions.
    It's not off-topic, it's is freedom of speech being squelched. By the way, a valedictorian has nothing to do with Separation of Church and State or the Establishment Clause.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

  9. #489
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Actually it is. While the words do not appear in the Constitution, have you considered what the opposite of separation is? It would be the establishment of a State Religion, which is prohibited in the First Amendment.
    Yes, but what people use Separation of Church and state for goes well beyond that. It's abused.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

  10. #490
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,971

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Actually it is. While the words do not appear in the Constitution, have you considered what the opposite of separation is? It would be the establishment of a State Religion, which is prohibited in the First Amendment.
    Well, technically no...

    The opposite of "Seperation of Church and State" in the way so many interprit it...IE that ANYTHING religious can't interact with ANYTHING government....would be "Comingling of Church and State". It would be having muslim and buddhist and Christian and Jewish events and prayers and statements being able to be in various parts of government.

    Allowing the schools to have a "Islamic Club", a "Catholic Club", a "Mormon Club", and a "Buddhist Club" and giving them time during the day where they could have a club activity of prayer or scripture study or meditation time would not be "establishing a state religion" becuase there is no specific Religion the state is singularly endorsing, enforcing upon people, mandating or implimenting through law, etc. But it would violate the notion of "Seperation of Church and State" that so many people have because it'd be letting people use state property/time to engage in their personal religious activities.

Page 49 of 127 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •