View Poll Results: Should the school have banned the reading of the prayer by the student?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    30 27.27%
  • No

    75 68.18%
  • Undecided

    5 4.55%
Page 44 of 127 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494 ... LastLast
Results 431 to 440 of 1269

Thread: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

  1. #431
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I just think it's a good idea to avoid the problems that these things cause. School is about getting an education, not learning how to become a rebel against authority. They have to have strict rules and guidelines or else the kids will walk all over them. Everyone knows that high school students are NO angels, valedictorians or not. The school also has to deal with a wide diversity of people who come from different backgrounds and cultures. It only makes sense to leave something as controversial as religion out of school and school activities IMO. And that doesn't mean that I'm dissing religion or free speech. It's all a matter of maintaining some semblance of order and protecting against potential liability issues.
    Liability issues are a recent creation of the courts, and IMO are a detraction from the education that the children should otherwise receive. We could go round and round all evening, but it doesn't change the fact that our schools' primary purpose is education, not political correctness.

    I'm out, have a good evening...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  2. #432
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,725
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    nope facts links court and law

    my opinions have nothing to do with it, if you disagree by all means PLEASE PLEASE provide and factual proof to the contrary

    your own court cases supported me LMAO
    I have already posted a definitive statement of the law in this matter. That shows, in fact, that you are wrong. The matter is closed, your zombie posts notwithstanding.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  3. #433
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Liability issues are a recent creation of the courts, and IMO are a detraction from the education that the children should otherwise receive. We could go round and round all evening, but it doesn't change the fact that our schools' primary purpose is education, not political correctness.

    I'm out, have a good evening...
    Well, as you noted above, they really don't have a choice if they want to avoid issues and spend their money and time concentrating on providing children with a good education.

    Recently in a neighboring state to me, there was a plaque removed that had the Lord's Prayer on it. It had been there since the 1950s I believe and was donated to the school. An atheist girl sued the school and the school had to remove it because they just didn't have the money to go to court about it.

  4. #434
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    I have already posted a definitive statement of the law in this matter. That shows, in fact, that you are wrong. The matter is closed, your zombie posts notwithstanding.
    no it did not LMAO why are you lying? not only did it not show i warong it supported my statment and so did some of the case your mentioned that i later quoted

    the proof isnt going anywhere

    like i said if you disagree by all means PLEASE PLEASE provide and factual proof to the contrary but my guess is youll dodge it again lol
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  5. #435
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Here's an article about it. I was mistaken. It had been there since 1963.

    Rhode Island Prayer Banner Ruling Will Not Be Appealed, School Panel Decides

    Lawyers representing Ahlquist have asked the court to order the city to pay $173,000 for legal fees. Attorney Joseph Cavanagh Jr., who represented the city, said a legal fight in the U.S. 1st Circuit Court of Appeals in Boston and the U.S. Supreme Court would cost another $500,000 in legal fees.

  6. #436
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,725
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    no it did not LMAO why are you lying? not only did it not show i warong it supported my statment and so did some of the case your mentioned that i later quoted

    the proof isnt going anywhere

    like i said if you disagree by all means PLEASE PLEASE provide and factual proof to the contrary but my guess is youll dodge it again lol
    Already done. You lost.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  7. #437
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,328

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    I have already posted a definitive statement of the law in this matter. That shows, in fact, that you are wrong. The matter is closed, your zombie posts notwithstanding.
    Are you the 22nd century's "It" girl ?...............................

  8. #438
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    40+ pages on some hillbilly in SC doing a prayer. Call me when SC becomes an important state in the union. This is a state that didn't even acknowledge women as voters until the 60s. Give them time. Eventually, they'll join the rest of the world.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  9. #439
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Already done. You lost.
    exactly what i thought, you dodge it AGAIN

    sorry facts disagree with you and proof you wrong
    like i said if you disagree by all means PLEASE PLEASE provide and factual proof to the contrary
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  10. #440
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Please don't make us suffer through pages and pages of "I have facts, you have opinions arguments."

Page 44 of 127 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •