View Poll Results: Should the school have banned the reading of the prayer by the student?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    30 27.27%
  • No

    75 68.18%
  • Undecided

    5 4.55%
Page 39 of 127 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 390 of 1269

Thread: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

  1. #381
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    The school does have a right to protect itself from anything that might be considered a liability, whether that stems from frivolous lawsuits or whatever.
    Schools should not be in that position to begin with...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  2. #382
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    I can't keep up with all the quotes!!!

  3. #383
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Since when does where you say something grant the right for any entity to restrict speech?

    its simple, when you are on the property of a school ,business, state property, you no longer have exercisable rights.

    can you exercise the 2nd amendment in a school?........no

    can you exercise free speech and say anything you want to say.........no

    can you bring people into the school and assemble with them, , if the school says no..........no you cant.

    when your on school property ,you as a citizen are extended privileges..(not rights) being on that property, and those privileges can be revoked, if you violate them.
    Last edited by Master PO; 06-06-13 at 10:27 PM.

  4. #384
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    The school does have a right to protect itself from anything that might be considered a liability, whether that stems from frivolous lawsuits or whatever.
    Perchance, but in general terms I see nothing wrong with what was done. The school may have to take various actions because People in general cannot let anything go and if they feel they are offended they have to make a federal case out of it. As I said before, it is our lack of "live and let live" mentality that has driven the system into the sewer.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #385
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    That is exactly why they should remain neutral in these matters. Students getting up on the pulpit during a school sponsored event and reciting Christian prayer is NOT neutral.
    I posted nothing about being neutral...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  6. #386
    Sage
    JC Callender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,632

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Have you ever been to a party where the host would rather you didn't talk politics or religion. The reason is because a nice occasion can turn into something awkward and contentious. I know, I've talked politics at parties without realizing I could offend someone and have had people steer the conversation away from that, and I really didn't resent them for it.



    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician View Post
    And, unless you're a weak-minded pussy, it won't kill your momentum, now will it?

  7. #387
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Schools should not be in that position to begin with...
    LOL! If students would follow the rules there wouldn't be any problems. Schools DO have the right to set limits on speech. Kids aren't allowed to curse in school either. Some people are fine with cursing. It doesn't bother them at all. OTH, other people DO find it offensive.

  8. #388
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    its simple, when you are on the property of a school ,business, state property, you not longer have exercisable rights.

    can you exercise the 2nd amendment in a school?........no

    can you exercise free speech and say anything you want to say.........no

    can you bring people into the school and assemble with them, , if the school says no..........no you cant.

    when your on school property ,you as a citizen are extended privileges..(not rights) being on that property, and those privileges can be revoked, if you violate them.
    Ernst, you're becoming a conformist. I never thought I'd see the day that would happen...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  9. #389
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    1.) well i dont agree with this blanket statement at all nor is it true
    2.) this is true
    3.) this is false
    4.) this is false its limited
    5.) this is true
    6.) this is false as his person cant totally be searched at any time for any reason
    1) you have a right to life and liberty on other property, but you dont have exercisable rights.

    exercisable rights, are speech, worship, assembly, bare a firearm, secure in your person property.

  10. #390
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Perchance, but in general terms I see nothing wrong with what was done. The school may have to take various actions because People in general cannot let anything go and if they feel they are offended they have to make a federal case out of it. As I said before, it is our lack of "live and let live" mentality that has driven the system into the sewer.
    Personally, I don't care if the kid started reading the Bible. I'm just saying that schools do have the right to set rules and boundaries on what is acceptable and what is not at one of their events, at least to an extent, and I believe that reciting prayer from a particular religion would fall under that realm.

    Now, if he had just said, I want to thank my God, or whatever, that's another story. He recited a prayer though. That would be considered proselytizing to a captive audience IMO.

Page 39 of 127 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •