View Poll Results: Should the school have banned the reading of the prayer by the student?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    30 27.27%
  • No

    75 68.18%
  • Undecided

    5 4.55%
Page 38 of 127 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 1269

Thread: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

  1. #371
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Congress doesn't make those decisions. The locally elected school boards do I believe.
    School boards are only attempting to cover there own ass...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  2. #372
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    SOME people would consider a Christian prayer to be offensive. That is something you need to realize.
    Lots of things are offensive, there isn't a right to not be offended.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #373
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    are you asking my my opinion or want to know why the laws says so? because you cant agree with me yet i havent posted my opinion.

    here is a link to many cases about it
    School speech (First Amendment) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    if you are asking my opinion well i agree with the cases basically, its like the yelling fire or threatening somebody.
    i believe i am agreeing with you, when a person is on school property ,that person does not have exercisable rights.

    he cannot say anything he wants, he cant worship , assembly with anyone he wants, he cant bare a firearm, and he can be searched.

  4. #374
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    School boards are only attempting to cover there own ass...
    Of course they are! Do you want your school's money going to fight lawsuits or to educate your child? WTH?

  5. #375
    Professor
    Mathematician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,147

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by JC Callender View Post
    Positive to who? If you disagree with Christianity, then the Lords Prayer isn't going to be the part of the speech that kicks your ambition into overdrive to succeed in college.
    And, unless you're a weak-minded pussy, it won't kill your momentum, now will it?
    "With me everything turns into mathematics."
    "It is not enough to have a good mind. The main thing is to use it well."
    "It is truth very certain that, when it is not in one's power to determine what is true, we ought to follow what is more probable." -- Rene Descartes

  6. #376
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    i believe i am agreeing with you, when a person is on school property ,that person does not have exercisable rights.

    he cannot say anything he wants, he cant worship , assembly with anyone he wants, he cant bare a firearm, and he can be searched.
    Since when does where you say something grant the right for any entity to restrict speech?
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  7. #377
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Of course they are! Do you want your school's money going to fight lawsuits or to educate your child? WTH?
    What I would like is that they not have to worry about being politically correct and just competently educate the students. That is something that seems to be lacking in today's schools...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  8. #378
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    1.)i believe i am agreeing with you, when a person is on school property ,that person does not have exercisable rights.

    2.)he cannot say anything he wants,
    3.)he cant worship
    4.) assembly with anyone he wants
    5.), he cant bare a firearm
    6.) and he can be searched.
    1.) well i dont agree with this blanket statement at all nor is it true
    2.) this is true
    3.) this is false
    4.) this is false its limited
    5.) this is true
    6.) this is false as his person cant totally be searched at any time for any reason
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  9. #379
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Lots of things are offensive, there isn't a right to not be offended.
    The school does have a right to protect itself from anything that might be considered a liability, whether that stems from frivolous lawsuits or whatever.

  10. #380
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    What I would like is that they not have to worry about being politically correct and just competently educate the students. That is something that seems to be lacking in today's schools...
    That is exactly why they should remain neutral in these matters. Students getting up on the pulpit during a school sponsored event and reciting Christian prayer is NOT neutral.

Page 38 of 127 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •