View Poll Results: Should the school have banned the reading of the prayer by the student?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    30 27.27%
  • No

    75 68.18%
  • Undecided

    5 4.55%
Page 26 of 127 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676126 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 1269

Thread: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

  1. #251
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    They had graduated! It was a ceremony, not some in school function. These "children" are our future leaders, gawd help us we have more like him...
    Again, what if they said the "F" word on stage? Is that okay too? This was a prayer and not a curse word, but the idea is the same. They have to follow the rules of the school or face consequences.

  2. #252
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Yeah, well that's not your decision to make. I wouldn't want radical Islam being preached in schools either. It is a smart idea to keep religion out of public school.

    If you want your children exposed to religion in school, then send them to the private religious school of your choice.
    There is nothing smart about shielding students from the first amendment to the Constitution...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  3. #253
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    I don't have a problem with the speech. It seems that he breached school board policy but that no action is being planned against him. Nothing really to get outraged about on all sides.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  4. #254
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Again, what if they said the "F" word on stage? Is that okay too? This was a prayer and not a curse word, but the idea is the same. They have to follow the rules of the school or face consequences.
    What if he had? Would that be something reflecting on anyone else other than the speaker?
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  5. #255
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    There is nothing smart about shielding students from the first amendment to the Constitution...
    It isn't shielding them. It's keeping religion out of school and school sponsored events. Nobody is keeping them away from religion.

  6. #256
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    What if he had? Would that be something reflecting on anyone else other than the speaker?
    What's your point?

  7. #257
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    It isn't shielding them. It's keeping religion out of school and school sponsored events. Nobody is keeping them away from religion.
    Who the hell decided religion should be kept out of schools?
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  8. #258
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    I don't have a problem with the speech. It seems that he breached school board policy but that no action is being planned against him. Nothing really to get outraged about on all sides.
    It's more about the idea that people are thinking this is a good idea and should be allowed to happen.

  9. #259
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    What's your point?
    Again, I'm only responding to your concerns...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  10. #260
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Again, what if they said the "F" word on stage? Is that okay too? This was a prayer and not a curse word, but the idea is the same. They have to follow the rules of the school or face consequences.
    There are local and state obscene speech laws. However, if it's okay in that state or locality to say in public, it's okay here. Now, the admins and some audience members (including the kid's own parents) may throw a fit, but there's zilch they can do about it. Other than the kid's parents of course, they can exact their own consequences upon the kid.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •