View Poll Results: Should the school have banned the reading of the prayer by the student?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    30 27.27%
  • No

    75 68.18%
  • Undecided

    5 4.55%
Page 119 of 127 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,190 of 1269

Thread: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

  1. #1181
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,961
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    If it's a graduation ceremony, you'd better behave yourself!
    Never have. Why should I start now?
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  2. #1182
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,328

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Again, these students had already graduated. They were simply attending a ceremony to recognize that fact. IMV, from the reaction I saw on youtube, the vast majority of the audience was in agreement with the speaker. Are you also fighting to have "In God We Trust" removed from our currency? You see, I'm not a very religious person, but I have no issue with its public expression. I'm not interested one way or the other...
    I would see the speech as completely appropriate if this was a graduation ceremony at a fundie madrassah..............Or is this school a fundie madrassah ? Or just a fundie madrassah wannabee ?.......................

  3. #1183
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Agreed. Good evening, AP.
    Social event this evening, so I'm gone shortly.
    I try to avoid social events at all costs. I have only one per year that I must attend. The others are attended after a cost benefit analysis...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  4. #1184
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Yes, he basically was immune, as he would not be returning, and you should feel free to speak as you wish if you were invited to speak knowing beforehand that you may never be invited back should you choose to violate any given rules...
    That might be how a selfish jerk might view things.

  5. #1185
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,803

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    You of all people should know that the only people who go after typos are those who can't argue the topic.

    You went after a typo, which means you can't counter my point that the Lord's Prayer is a message of peace.

    What matters is not if a message is religious, but if the message is constructive or harmfull. If the religious message were one to inspire war, that would not be appropriate.
    The Christian message, which goes far beyond the Lord's Prayer, has been used to inspire war many, many times throughout history and you know it. Just claiming that it's peaceful means about as much to me as the Muslim claim that Islam is the religion of peace. That's just not how it's used worldwide.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  6. #1186
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,961
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzai View Post
    I would see the speech as completely appropriate if this was a graduation ceremony at a fundie madrassah..............Or is this school a fundie madrassah ? Or just a fundie madrassah wannabee ?.......................
    The point of free speech is that it's "appropriate" anywhere.
    Good evening, Bonz.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  7. #1187
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,803

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Yes, he basically was immune, as he would not be returning, and you should feel free to speak as you wish if you were invited to speak knowing beforehand that you may never be invited back should you choose to violate any given rules...
    So, in other words, you should be a dick that can't keep his word? Whatever you say.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  8. #1188
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    That might be how a selfish jerk might view things.
    That's just how everyone should roll...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  9. #1189
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,803

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    The point of free speech is that it's "appropriate" anywhere.
    Good evening, Bonz.
    Cool, I'm happy to know that if I stand up before a bunch of small children and start swearing at them, it's "appropriate".

    Thanks for your help.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  10. #1190
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    So, in other words, you should be a dick that can't keep his word? Whatever you say.
    No, he should feel free to speak his mind when addressing his classmates. That you think otherwise is a bit concerning...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •