View Poll Results: Should the school have banned the reading of the prayer by the student?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    30 27.27%
  • No

    75 68.18%
  • Undecided

    5 4.55%
Page 118 of 127 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119120 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,180 of 1269

Thread: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

  1. #1171
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,356

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    I'm still confused as to where this kid established a state religion.
    Good afternoon, stonewall50.

    :

    Verbalizing a prayer establishes a state religion? How?

  2. #1172
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Do you truly want that in a public school setting? You want students to disobey rules in school?
    Again, these students had already graduated. They were simply attending a ceremony to recognize that fact. IMV, from the reaction I saw on youtube, the vast majority of the audience was in agreement with the speaker. Are you also fighting to have "In God We Trust" removed from our currency? You see, I'm not a very religious person, but I have no issue with its public expression. I'm not interested one way or the other...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  3. #1173
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,961
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    You want students to disobey rules in school?
    Absolutely!
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  4. #1174
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:28 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,843

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    You of all people should know that the only people who go after typos are those who can't argue the topic.

    You went after a typo, which means you can't counter my point that the Lord's Prayer is a message of peace.

    What matters is not if a message is religious, but if the message is constructive or harmfull. If the religious message were one to inspire war, that would not be appropriate.

    A religious message does not have "to inspire war" to be seen as harmful and disruptive in a society.
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  5. #1175
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Absolutely!
    They would need to pick and choose the circumstances, but I think the more local the control of the schools the better without having to concern themselves with who might be offended. Good evening 2m...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  6. #1176
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Again, these students had already graduated. They were simply attending a ceremony to recognize that fact. IMV, from the reaction I saw on youtube, the vast majority of the audience was in agreement with the speaker. Are you also fighting to have "In God We Trust" removed from our currency? You see, I'm not a very religious person, but I have no issue with its public expression. I'm not interested one way or the other...
    Okay, so the majority people who happened to be in attendance at that particular ceremony happened to agree with reciting of the Lord's Prayer. That really doesn't mean anything in the bigger picture though. Also, the fact that the student was a graduate attending a ceremony does not mean he is immune from the rules.

    I also can't do certain things on school property. If I was to be a guest speaker, yes, there are certain rules I would have to follow with regards to my speech and how I presented myself. That is just LIFE. There are rules, and nothing that I am aware of was outrageous or an egregious affront to this student's rights. We don't even know if they asked for religious content to be left out of the speech. ALL we really know here is that the boy disobeyed a school rule.

  7. #1177
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:28 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,843

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Good afternoon, stonewall50.

    :

    Verbalizing a prayer establishes a state religion? How?

    Aaaargh - NO it doesn't "establish a religion" but it does support a specific religious view - one that is not shared by every American. Majorities are not always correct
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  8. #1178
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,961
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    They would need to pick and choose the circumstances, but I think the more local the control of the schools the better without having to concern themselves with who might be offended. Good evening 2m...
    Agreed. Good evening, AP.
    Social event this evening, so I'm gone shortly.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  9. #1179
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Agreed. Good evening, AP.
    Social event this evening, so I'm gone shortly.
    If it's a graduation ceremony, you'd better behave yourself!

  10. #1180
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Valedictorian Defies School District and Recites Lord's Prayer [W:618]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Okay, so the majority people who happened to be in attendance at that particular ceremony happened to agree with reciting of the Lord's Prayer. That really doesn't mean anything in the bigger picture though. Also, the fact that the student was a graduate attending a ceremony does not mean he is immune from the rules.

    I also can't do certain things on school property. If I was to be a guest speaker, yes, there are certain rules I would have to follow with regards to my speech and how I presented myself. That is just LIFE. There are rules, and nothing that I am aware of was outrageous or an egregious affront to this student's rights. We don't even know if they asked for religious content to be left out of the speech. ALL we really know here is that the boy disobeyed a school rule.
    Yes, he basically was immune, as he would not be returning, and you should feel free to speak as you wish if you were invited to speak knowing beforehand that you may never be invited back should you choose to violate any given rules...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •