View Poll Results: Is Bradley Manning a Whistleblower or Traitor?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Traitor

    7 35.00%
  • Hero

    9 45.00%
  • Whistleblower

    9 45.00%
  • Manning deserves a medal.

    8 40.00%
  • Military classification is for cover ups.

    4 20.00%
  • Time to try the military.

    3 15.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 83

Thread: Bradley Manning: Patriotic Whistleblower or Traitor? [W:64]

  1. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Bradley Manning: Patriotic Whistleblower or Traitor?

    Quote Originally Posted by HumanBeing View Post
    The main issue was that they lied about it after, specifically they lied to Reuters about how the journalists died. The official report from Lieutenant Colonel Scott Bleichwehl on the incident stated "There is no question that coalition forces were clearly engaged in combat operations against a hostile force". It simply isn't true. They were begging for permission to open fire on people who were standing around chatting, and a car with kids and a doctor.

    Anyway, I'm going to stay out of this. I appreciate that everyone is entitled to their own opinion on it, and simply wanted to express mine.
    Again, people do not simply "stand around and chat" within mere feet of a heavily armed military convoy in the middle of hostile territory. It simply doesn't happen.

    The fact that children had to be involved in the incident was unfortunate, but the apache crew had no way of knowing that there were children in the van before they opened fire. The idiotic driver of the vehicle in question should never have charged into such an obvious kill zone with children on board in the first place.

    I frankly agree with Ray here. The general behavior exhibited by the people in that video makes it very hard to believe that the reporters the US Military killed were completely innocent in their intentions. Rational non-hostile human beings simply do not have a minivan on stand-by waiting to charge into a hail of bullets at breakneck speed to evacuate casualties.
    Last edited by Gathomas88; 06-07-13 at 05:34 PM.

  2. #62
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:29 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Bradley Manning: Patriotic Whistleblower or Traitor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoist View Post
    Certainly is. Where is the outrage over the murders of hundreds/thousands of Afghans/Iraqis who were murdered by the US military?
    I will not presume to speak for cpwill, but I know in my case that soldiers who commit atrocities and murder are worthy of condemnation.

    I am not denying that Manning went about this the wrong way, or that his intentions were totally noble. I think there are actions that should be taken but I do not go as far as to call him a traitor or think he should be executed/imprisoned for life. But that is besides the point. We get more outraged over a man releasing document detailing crimes than the actual crimes (murders) themselves. Do you not see how messed up that is?
    Whether he is a "traitor" or not is debatable, but a case could certainly be made for it. Life imprisonment is the most likely and to my mind proper outcome. He committed a major crime. It is entirely separate from any other crimes however, and trying to connect other crimes to this is faulty logic.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #63
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,652
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Bradley Manning: Patriotic Whistleblower or Traitor?

    If he had taken the film footage that he believed proof of criminal conduct to the chain of command, believed that it had been covered up then released only that footage to the media he could claim to be a Whistleblower.

    Despite what Manning's defense now claims, the evidence shows that he downloaded hundreds of thousands of documents indiscriminately over a period of weeks and/or months, forwarding them to Wiki Leaks without having the slightest idea of what they contained. That's treason, imo, although I realize it does not rise to the strict legal aspects of treason, since the USA was not technically at war with Wiki Leaks at the time.

    I'll always consider him a traitor, and hope that if he is convicted he serves many, many years in prison for what he has done.

  4. #64
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,936

    Re: Bradley Manning: Patriotic Whistleblower or Traitor?

    Moderator's Warning:
    Bradley Manning: Patriotic Whistleblower or Traitor? [W:64] Please keep it civil, on topic and off each other.
    I don't attack my constituents. Bob is my constituent now.
    This is the important stuff. We canít get lost in discrimination. We canít get lost in B.S. We canít get lost tearing each other down. I want to make a point here that no matter what you look like, where you come from, how you worship, who you love, how you identify, and yeah, how you run, that if you have good public policy ideas, if you are well qualified for office, bring those ideas to the table, because this is your America, too. This is our commonwealth of Virginia, too.
    Danica Roem - The nation's first openly transgender person elected to serve in a U.S. state legislature.

  5. #65
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,702

    Re: Bradley Manning: Patriotic Whistleblower or Traitor?

    Traitor. Furthermore, Wikileaks always deserves criticism.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  6. #66
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:05 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,305

    Re: Bradley Manning: Patriotic Whistleblower or Traitor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    Again, people do not simply "stand around and chat" within mere feet of a heavily armed military convoy in the middle of hostile territory. It simply doesn't happen.

    The fact that children had to be involved in the incident was unfortunate, but the apache crew had no way of knowing that there were children in the van before they opened fire. The idiotic driver of the vehicle in question should never have charged into such an obvious kill zone with children on board in the first place.

    I frankly agree with Ray here. The general behavior exhibited by the people in that video makes it very hard to believe that the reporters the US Military killed were completely innocent in their intentions. Rational non-hostile human beings simply do not have a minivan on stand-by waiting to charge into a hail of bullets at breakneck speed to evacuate casualties.

    Your "opinion" requires that you are a believer that the Apache crew made a correct decision. I insist that they were required by simple human rights requirements to have more clearly identified their potential targets. As I said, they were in a helicopter with excellent speed and maneuverability and must have been fully aware that civilians live in the populated area. If they weren't sure the observed civilians were armed, human rights common sense requires that a closer look be taken. It ain't rocket science and that is why the USA wanted to classify the video. They wanted to hide it. They wanted to use the classification system for concealing an embarrassment or a crime. I sympathize with the soldiers in Iraq, but am ashamed of our government's conduct form start to finish in that war. A soldier just does his job, usually. In this case, they screwed up and innocents died. I don't think I would personally care for Manning, but he was an Intelligence Analyst and had access to plenty of real secrets or he wouldn't have had that specialty rating. No weapons info released. No security info released. No military plans released. Just mostly lies and embarrassments. WMD lies and cover ups followed up by continuous lies and cover ups. Just more of the same. If you don't want to have to defend lies, then vote out the liars, you know, start at the source.

  7. #67
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,916

    Re: Bradley Manning: Patriotic Whistleblower or Traitor?

    Quote Originally Posted by APACHERAT View Post
    I can care less how people choose to live their own lives as long as they don't force their life style upon me or force me to openly acknowledge my approval of their life style. That's been the problem that many have.

    You don't see me demanding special protections or special privileges or demanding that society except my life style do you ?
    No one is forcing anything on you.
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

  8. #68
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,916

    Re: Bradley Manning: Patriotic Whistleblower or Traitor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Whether he is a "traitor" or not is debatable, but a case could certainly be made for it. Life imprisonment is the most likely and to my mind proper outcome. He committed a major crime. It is entirely separate from any other crimes however, and trying to connect other crimes to this is faulty logic.
    While I agree he probably committed a crime, I disagree that the crime was treason. He gave the information to Wikileaks, not Al Qaeda.
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

  9. #69
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,916

    Re: Bradley Manning: Patriotic Whistleblower or Traitor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Traitor. Furthermore, Wikileaks always deserves criticism.
    We are not at war with Wikileaks.
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

  10. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Behind the Orange Curtain
    Last Seen
    01-30-15 @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    15,633

    Re: Bradley Manning: Patriotic Whistleblower or Traitor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoist View Post
    No one is forcing anything on you.
    It's obvious you don't live on the Left Coast.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •