View Poll Results: Should we rethink the "non-profit" tax status?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it no longer serves a purpose other than a tax dodge.

    8 38.10%
  • Some, as some work is still good and other work shouldn't qualify.

    5 23.81%
  • No, there's too much worthy work being done and it should be encouraged.

    5 23.81%
  • Other (please elaborate)

    3 14.29%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 35

Thread: Should we rethink the "non-profit" tax status?

  1. #21
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,775

    Re: Should we rethink the "non-profit" tax status?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Yes, but... the flip side is that paying taxes buys full unfettered access. Many people who advocate ending NP status for churches don't understand the full depth of what that really means.
    They already have unfettered access! Do you think there aren't religious lobbyist groups in Washington DC right this minute?
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  2. #22
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Should we rethink the "non-profit" tax status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    They already have unfettered access! Do you think there aren't religious lobbyist groups in Washington DC right this minute?
    You don't understand the definition of "unfettered".
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #23
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Should we rethink the "non-profit" tax status?

    I don't want to see donations lose their deductibility status to the person giving the money. But I do want to see the requirement that the receiving institution uses all their income for the actual "good deeds" instead of paying the owners generous salaries.

    The majority of non-profits are very profitable - for their owners. That's wrong.

  4. #24
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Should we rethink the "non-profit" tax status?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    I'm wondering why no one is discussing how the 16th amendment contributes to many of the disagreements the country finds itself fighting over today. The question would be moot without it...
    Well, the short answer is that the Constitution does not define what income is. Congress via the IRS does. Now, I am interested to see if Article I, Section 9, Clause 4 "No Capitation, or other direct, Tax shall be laid, unless in proportion to the Census or Enumeration herein before directed to be taken" gets litigated in relation to Obamacare in 2014-2015.

  5. #25
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Should we rethink the "non-profit" tax status?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Yes, but... the flip side is that paying taxes buys full unfettered access. Many people who advocate ending NP status for churches don't understand the full depth of what that really means.
    I understand that. The Catholic Church will take down the democrats and the Baptist churches will move the GOP to the right of Satan if that happens, but that is not the reason we should keep it the way it is--we should do it because of the Constitution, not the political ramifications.

  6. #26
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Should we rethink the "non-profit" tax status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Well, the short answer is that the Constitution does not define what income is. Congress via the IRS does. Now, I am interested to see if Article I, Section 9, Clause 4 "No Capitation, or other direct, Tax shall be laid, unless in proportion to the Census or Enumeration herein before directed to be taken" gets litigated in relation to Obamacare in 2014-2015.
    It would not be interpreted as a direct tax but one of choice. One can choose to purchase insurance, if required, or pay a tax in lieu of doing so...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  7. #27
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,775

    Re: Should we rethink the "non-profit" tax status?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    You don't understand the definition of "unfettered".
    You don't think religious leaders meet with Senators and Congresspeople all the time? You don't think these people are influenced from the pulpit every Sunday? Seriously?
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  8. #28
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Should we rethink the "non-profit" tax status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    It was a desire to keep the churches and the state wholly separate that was the initial reason not to pay taxes, plus the fact that churches often did a lot of charitable work so they were killing two birds with one stone. That's just not the case today. Nobody is stopping churches from speaking freely, but look at all of the preachers who are on TV, speaking openly about political causes, yet I bet their churches are paying no taxes, even though it's a clear violation of the tax code to do what they do.
    At the time of the revolution/Constitution, there were three ways in which power was gathered in the world, all of which threatened democracy: Power by status so all men are equal and there is no nobility in the US; domination by the wealthy elite which why the government was giving out free land and expanding like crazy--people on their own land supporting themselves would not be subjugated by wealthy interests; and the power of religion, which is why the church and state were separated. Removing that well placed barrier will undermine democracy in a way I am not sure you can fathom since we have not had religious wars in the US nor has the world seen a real one in quite some time.

  9. #29
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Should we rethink the "non-profit" tax status?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    It would not be interpreted as a direct tax but one of choice. One can choose to purchase insurance, if required, or pay a tax in lieu of doing so...
    Time will tell.......

  10. #30
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Should we rethink the "non-profit" tax status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Time will tell.......
    IMHO, the courts would rule on it as any other "sin" tax...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •