View Poll Results: Should we rethink the "non-profit" tax status?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it no longer serves a purpose other than a tax dodge.

    8 38.10%
  • Some, as some work is still good and other work shouldn't qualify.

    5 23.81%
  • No, there's too much worthy work being done and it should be encouraged.

    5 23.81%
  • Other (please elaborate)

    3 14.29%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35

Thread: Should we rethink the "non-profit" tax status?

  1. #11
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,798

    Re: Should we rethink the "non-profit" tax status?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    We shouldn't rethink it as much as the government needs to enforce the "(almost) no political activity" requirement on tax exempt non-profits.

    If people want to use their non-profit to advance political causes, they should not be tax exempt.
    Agreed. I think it would be easier if we just eliminated all tax exemptions except for registered charities and they are only tax exempt on the money that goes directly toward charitable causes. Any overhead, any administration costs, those are not tax exempt, whether you're a church or a national charity. Simplify the rules and eliminate the loopholes.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  2. #12
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:31 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,435

    Re: Should we rethink the "non-profit" tax status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Well, certainly no as to religious organizations (it would be a back door way to oppress their 1st Amendment freedoms) and charities and civic organizations. If you want to remove the tax exempt status for political stuff and the NFL, that is fine with me.
    Not sure how paying taxes oppresses 1st Amendment freedoms.


    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    What first amendment freedoms? The purpose was to separate church and state, to keep the state from interfering with the church and to keep the church from interfering with the state. However, tons of churches openly advocate political positions, thus violating their tax-exempt status. Those people need to lose their status immediately.
    They do indeed, though they tread a fine line, and are restrained somewhat. But, as has been said, if they did begin paying taxes then they gain full and unfettered access... with open lobbysists, etc., and everything that goes with it. You have to ask yourself: Is that really what you want?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #13
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Should we rethink the "non-profit" tax status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    What first amendment freedoms? The purpose was to separate church and state, to keep the state from interfering with the church and to keep the church from interfering with the state. However, tons of churches openly advocate political positions, thus violating their tax-exempt status. Those people need to lose their status immediately.
    Well you answered your own question. That you want to use taxes to shut up churches is exactly why they are protected in the first amendment and why they are tax exempt.

  4. #14
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Should we rethink the "non-profit" tax status?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Not sure how paying taxes oppresses 1st Amendment freedoms.
    Because taxes are the way a government rules over churches. You do realize that our country was founded by tax evaders don't you?

  5. #15
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Should we rethink the "non-profit" tax status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Well you answered your own question. That you want to use taxes to shut up churches is exactly why they are protected in the first amendment and why they are tax exempt.
    I'm wondering why no one is discussing how the 16th amendment contributes to many of the disagreements the country finds itself fighting over today. The question would be moot without it...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  6. #16
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,194

    Re: Should we rethink the "non-profit" tax status?

    I'm no longer a religious person, so perhaps I'm biased here, but I've always felt that it's not truly charity or religious alms if you're getting a tax benefit for giving. Giving should be from the heart, not because you get x percentage back on your tax return. In addition, by making churches and charities slaves to the tax codes, you make them spend money they normally would target to good deeds on tax receipts and tax code approved advertising.

    I admit I'm not a big giver - I'm not in the financial position to be so - but when I do give, I don't claim it on my tax returns. Perhaps if I had millions to give I'd think differently.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  7. #17
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,798

    Re: Should we rethink the "non-profit" tax status?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    They do indeed, though they tread a fine line, and are restrained somewhat. But, as has been said, if they did begin paying taxes then they gain full and unfettered access... with open lobbysists, etc., and everything that goes with it. You have to ask yourself: Is that really what you want?
    They've already got that! There are thousands and thousands of churches out there who openly violate the "no political advocacy" rules and thumb their nose at the IRS and the American people and nothing is ever done about it. The reality is, there was a point in time where there was a single position within the IRS that could examine and revoke religious tax exemption and the IRS eliminated the position. Now, you can't take away their tax exemption no matter what they do.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  8. #18
    Guru
    Carleen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    3,626

    Re: Should we rethink the "non-profit" tax status?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Should we rethink the "non-profit" tax status? Should we consider completely eliminating the "non-profit" tax status? Charities, churches, everybody, no exceptions.

    1. Yes, it no longer serves a purpose other than a tax dodge.
    2. Some, as some work is still good and other work shouldn't qualify.
    3. No, there's too much worthy work being done and it should be encouraged.
    4. Other (please elaborate)
    We need to revamp the entire tax code. It needs to be looked at in depth, but I hate to say I don't think that will happen.
    "Being President doesn't change who you are, it reveals who you are"

  9. #19
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:31 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,435

    Re: Should we rethink the "non-profit" tax status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Because taxes are the way a government rules over churches.
    Yes, but... the flip side is that paying taxes buys full unfettered access. Many people who advocate ending NP status for churches don't understand the full depth of what that really means.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #20
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,798

    Re: Should we rethink the "non-profit" tax status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Well you answered your own question. That you want to use taxes to shut up churches is exactly why they are protected in the first amendment and why they are tax exempt.
    It was a desire to keep the churches and the state wholly separate that was the initial reason not to pay taxes, plus the fact that churches often did a lot of charitable work so they were killing two birds with one stone. That's just not the case today. Nobody is stopping churches from speaking freely, but look at all of the preachers who are on TV, speaking openly about political causes, yet I bet their churches are paying no taxes, even though it's a clear violation of the tax code to do what they do.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •