View Poll Results: Who should get the insurance money?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Widow

    1 5.00%
  • Ex-wife named on policy

    18 90.00%
  • Another family member (kids)

    0 0%
  • Someone else entirely

    1 5.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: Who should get the insurance money?

  1. #11
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,941

    Re: Who should get the insurance money?

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    Wow, that is messy. The Virginia law does make sense and typically if you name someone other than your spouse a beneficiary, the spouse has to approve.

    If the employee lived in Virginia, not sure why Federal rules would have to trump except obviously the ex-wife is glad that it does.
    It was a federal employee's life insurance policy.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #12
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,941

    Re: Who should get the insurance money?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I agree with you. The ex gets the money. But as to your opinion that the current wife should have to pay the ex's attorney fees? There we disagree. She brought the suit in light of Virginia law as I quoted above. It wasn't malicious. We can't start penalizing people for bringing rightful lawsuits...we'd stop having them. And that shouldn't happen.
    The only thing is though that if it costs pretty much the same amount to defend the money that you're going to get, or worse, more, then we would have the same thing, only the opposite way, people not able to defend their rights against others who are trying to get more than they deserve or violate their rights under the law because they cannot afford it. It really is a hard choice. It would definitely be better if we didn't have to have court cases cost so much.

    I realize I would be upset if I didn't get the life insurance money should my husband pass, but I would definitely consider that our fault because the rules are right there and we are informed of them often.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #13
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,579

    Re: Who should get the insurance money?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Okay so I saw this story and I love it.

    Court says ex-wife gets man's insurance money

    I want to know what you all think. Who should get the money? The widow? The ex-wife? Some other relative? Someone else entirely?

    And why.

    I think the right decision was made and in fact, I think it should always be whoever is written on the policy, no matter the policy. I do feel bad when someone forgets to change a policy, but that is a very good reason why whenever a life event happens, marriage, divorce, death, you check your legal paperwork and ensure that it reflects your wishes in consideration of that new event. This guy had plenty of time to change that document. He should have ensured it got done.

    I don't think it would be right for us to accidentally overrule someone's stated wishes for someone else failing to keep up with their affairs/paperwork. I know my own father has told his children that he has a life insurance policy that names my mother as his beneficiary, despite being married currently to someone else. If my mother ever agreed to take my father back, he would get divorced from the "new" wife in a heartbeat, but since my mother won't and he can't stand to be alone, he stays married to her.

    As a side note, I believe the ex-wife should sue to get back the lawyer/court costs for having to deal with this.
    I think it's a terrible tragedy, but we have to go with the person on the policy. We have no way of knowing what he actually wanted.

  4. #14
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,386

    Re: Who should get the insurance money?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Virginia's law is a nanny law. "He must've forgotten to change it." Bull****.

    Your statement about your spouse having to agree if you name someone other than your spouse is incorrect. The owner of a life insurance can name whoever they please as beneficiary.
    If Virginia has such a law, that is their business.

    I should have been more clear. Typically for group life insurance policies, the sponsoring organization will often require a spouse to approve the naming of an alternate beneficiary from the spouse. It helps keep them out of the mess.

  5. #15
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Who should get the insurance money?

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    Wow, that is messy. The Virginia law does make sense and typically if you name someone other than your spouse a beneficiary, the spouse has to approve.

    If the employee lived in Virginia, not sure why Federal rules would have to trump except obviously the ex-wife is glad that it does.
    I suspect that it was because it was a federal employee insurance policy. I suspect that if this had been a state employee insurance policy the decision would have gone the other way.

  6. #16
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,652
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Who should get the insurance money?

    The designated beneficiary is the designated beneficiary, period.

    In other news, Virginia lawmakers suck.

  7. #17
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Who should get the insurance money?

    Whoever the insurance policy is taken out on should be the one determining where the money goes. He designated it to go to his ex wife (whether because he forgot to change it or he meant it to happen, who knows) so she should get it.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  8. #18
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,417

    Re: Who should get the insurance money?

    I suspect this was an oversight on the part of the husband, but the decision was correct. Trying to mind-read a person's intent after their death would only open up a whole pandora's box.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #19
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,417

    Re: Who should get the insurance money?

    Maybe insurance policies should have a "Current Spouse" option, whoever that may be at the time.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #20
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Who should get the insurance money?

    Seriously, how in the hell does a man forget something like that? Even if he forgot to change it when he divorced, he sure as hell should have remembered when he got married again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •