View Poll Results: Should The Government Mandate Childhood Immunizations?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    16 47.06%
  • No

    14 41.18%
  • Maybe/Don't know

    4 11.76%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33

Thread: Should The Government Mandate Childhood Immunizations?

  1. #21
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Should The Government Mandate Childhood Immunizations?

    The government shouldn't have to mandate immunizations, but unfortunately we have turned "I have the right to be wrong" into a mantra in this country. There is absolutely no reason not to protect your kids' health and the health of the community by using the best modern technology to combat disease. If government mandate is the only way to make this actually happen, then I guess that's what we'll have to do.

    The only liberty argument at stake here is really the liberty to be a bad parent. And we really shouldn't be going so far out of our way to protect bad parents.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  2. #22
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:20 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Should The Government Mandate Childhood Immunizations?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    No. I don't really mind if people immunize their children or they decide not to and I don't think the government should concern themselves with it either.
    I give you huge kudos for being consistent, but I have no desire to regress back to the middle ages where we're constantly fighting small pox and whooping cough, etc., either.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #23
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:20 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Should The Government Mandate Childhood Immunizations?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    The government shouldn't have to mandate immunizations, but unfortunately we have turned "I have the right to be wrong" into a mantra in this country. There is absolutely no reason not to protect your kids' health and the health of the community by using the best modern technology to combat disease. If government mandate is the only way to make this actually happen, then I guess that's what we'll have to do.

    The only liberty argument at stake here is really the liberty to be a bad parent. And we really shouldn't be going so far out of our way to protect bad parents.
    I would phrase it as, "I have the right to be naive and ignorant."

    I have heard people say, "Why should I immunize my kid against whooping cough? I've never known a person my entire life who has had whooping cough."

    Connect the dots, bozo.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #24
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,589
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should The Government Mandate Childhood Immunizations?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Well, then any parent concerned about those risks could still get their kids the shots, and I'm sure that's what most parents would do. Isn't this one of those things parents should get to decide?
    Mandated vaccinations should continue to be required for public schools... measles, DPT, polio and smallpox. The problem is that parents either homeschool or use private schools, which allows unvaccinated children to mingle in the community as a whole, infecting babies and small children too young to be immunized. I posted this somewhere else, but measles is nothing to fool with. I nearly died with it when I was a kid. Right now, there is a resurgence of Whooping Cough to epic proportions in CAlifornia. In this state alone, 24 babies died of whooping cough, which was almost completely eradicated by the 1980's. This is the result of reckless parents who refuse to immunize their own children, who then infect other children too young for vaccination in the supermarket, at the park, anywhere they are allowed to mingle.

    So in my mind, it goes far beyond public schools. Babies are dying because parents are refusing to vaccinate their children.

    BTW, if I had young daughters now, with an HPV vaccine available that will lower their potential of developing uterine cancer as adults (and potentially transmitted the cancer-causing virus to their significant others), I'd have them vaccinated prior to puberty in a heartbeat.

  5. #25
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,872

    Re: Should The Government Mandate Childhood Immunizations?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Michele Bachman's gotten some press lately (for whatever reason) and it reminded me of how she went after Rick Perry for trying to require that HPV shot in Texas. I think this raises an interesting question. I don't have kids so I don't know if it already a law that you get your kids their shots or not, but should this be something the government should require, you as a parent, to have done? I see cogent arguments both ways. What do you think?

    Preparing the poll now. "Yes", "no" and "maybe/don't know" will be the choices.
    Part of the answer would depend on whether the vaccination was for an infectious disease that threatens public health. This has been a debate since colonial times, so just for fun: http://digitalcommons.iwu.edu/cgi/vi...%20smallpox%22

  6. #26
    Professor
    Baralis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MO
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,394
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should The Government Mandate Childhood Immunizations?

    Over the past year I have heard a lot of talk about the GOP being against a woman's "reproductive rights". They do not want anyone telling them what they can or cannot do with their own bodies. Yet I believe many of those same people are ok with mandating immunizations and I personally fail to see much of a difference here. Is it ok or not to have others dictate what you must do with your own body? Or does it vary on if its your body vs someone elses? or the situation. Im so confused...

  7. #27
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should The Government Mandate Childhood Immunizations?

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    I posted this somewhere else, but measles is nothing to fool with. I nearly died with it when I was a kid.
    "Never count your children before the measles."

  8. #28
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,872

    Re: Should The Government Mandate Childhood Immunizations?

    Quote Originally Posted by Baralis View Post
    Over the past year I have heard a lot of talk about the GOP being against a woman's "reproductive rights". They do not want anyone telling them what they can or cannot do with their own bodies. Yet I believe many of those same people are ok with mandating immunizations and I personally fail to see much of a difference here. Is it ok or not to have others dictate what you must do with your own body? Or does it vary on if its your body vs someone elses? or the situation. Im so confused...
    If the disease is a threat to public health, do you think immunization should be required?

  9. #29
    Professor
    Baralis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MO
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,394
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should The Government Mandate Childhood Immunizations?

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    If the disease is a threat to public health, do you think immunization should be required?
    Simply answered, no. I feel that should be left to the individual to decide. Those that want to be protected can get the immunization.

  10. #30
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,272
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should The Government Mandate Childhood Immunizations?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Michele Bachman's gotten some press lately (for whatever reason) and it reminded me of how she went after Rick Perry for trying to require that HPV shot in Texas. I think this raises an interesting question. I don't have kids so I don't know if it already a law that you get your kids their shots or not, but should this be something the government should require, you as a parent, to have done? I see cogent arguments both ways. What do you think?

    Preparing the poll now. "Yes", "no" and "maybe/don't know" will be the choices.
    I want to vote yes. There is no rational reason not to get your children immunized. However, I also do not think the government should be involved in a families medical decisions any more than absolutely necessary(ie deciding coverage for medicaid and things like that or regulating drugs). I think the government cannot stop people from being stupid, nor should it try. It is one of those things which is a painful thing to do, to watch parents reject things to make their children safer, but I think freedom to choose for your children is paramount. I have said this before, and probably will again: freedom is at its greatest risk when it seems most sensible to take it away.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •