View Poll Results: Can the Bill of Rights be legally amended with other Amendments?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES - anything in the Constitution is subject to the Amendment process.

    43 84.31%
  • NO - you cannot amend anything which changes any provision in the Bill of Rights

    8 15.69%
Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 233

Thread: Can you legally Amend the Bill of Rights?

  1. #161
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Can you legally Amend the Bill of Rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    But how many were proposed by Congress sent to the States?

    out of the original 12 .....10 were ratified, however 1 more of the original ...was ratified in 1992.

    as to the states which ratified the bill of rights, i have already posted it already.

  2. #162
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:22 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,326
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Can you legally Amend the Bill of Rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Ernst was correct. Without the Federalist papers, along with the BOR, the Constitution would most likely not have been ratified...
    Not surprisingly, that has nothing to do with what I said. Nothing you said makes the Federalist Papers anything more than the opinions of the writers. Important opinions, sure. Historically relevant, yes. Legally of any value, no.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #163
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:22 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,326
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Can you legally Amend the Bill of Rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    i have, but i suggest you read up on the founders, its an eye opening experience.
    I have studied history. That is why I know the federalist Papers do not have the force of law.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #164
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Can you legally Amend the Bill of Rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Not surprisingly, that has nothing to do with what I said. Nothing you said makes the Federalist Papers anything more than the opinions of the writers. Important opinions, sure. Historically relevant, yes. Legally of any value, no.
    Never indicated there was legal relevance only importance to the formation of the country...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  5. #165
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:22 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,326
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Can you legally Amend the Bill of Rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    really? You will find they address the issues of the constitution, and its construction.
    They certainly do talk about the constitution and nowhere did I say otherwise. What I said, and what you have not refuted, is that the Federalist Papers are not law, are not binding, are nothing more than the opinions of the writers.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #166
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:22 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,326
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Can you legally Amend the Bill of Rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Never indicated there was legal relevance only importance to the formation of the country...
    I would never claim otherwise. They are important historical documents and a fascinating look into the minds of those who wrote them.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #167
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Can you legally Amend the Bill of Rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    as to the states which ratified the bill of rights, i have already posted it already.
    Previously you were saying the Bill of Rights was sent as a package to the States and they ratified the entire document - including the Preamble (because "there is no separation in the document" and they didn't "cut off the top part of the document"). Since you've now shown the "Bill of Rights" was NOT a package deal at all, and that your previous reply is full of holes, the question is once more put forth:

    Did the States vote on the Preamble to the Bill of Rights?
    Last edited by MoSurveyor; 06-03-13 at 09:07 PM.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  8. #168
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Can you legally Amend the Bill of Rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I have studied history. That is why I know the federalist Papers do not have the force of law.
    never say they did, i said they explain the problems with the articles of confederation, constitution it structure,meanings of clauses, how power to spread out, that we have a mixed constitution... not representative democracy, but republican government.

  9. #169
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,758

    Re: Can you legally Amend the Bill of Rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I have studied history. That is why I know the federalist Papers do not have the force of law.
    But are regularly consulted by SCOTUS when deciding law and constitutionality.

  10. #170
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,872

    Re: Can you legally Amend the Bill of Rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    when the bill or rights was ratified , the whole document was accepted, they did not cut off the top half of the document, the whole document is in the national archives.
    No one is disputing that the document as issued by Congress is in the National Archives. that bit of trivia is irrelevant to the greater and far more important question: when the states ratified the various amendments that comprise the Bill of Rights, did they also ratify the Preamble you cited?

    You say yes but can provide no evidence of such a thing? Why is that?

    I think we all know the answer and it is why you are avoiding facing reality so your assumption can be exposed as irrelevant to what the Constitution actually says.

    You got nothing. But please, prove me wrong and do it with verifiable evidence and not your own self serving analysis.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •