View Poll Results: Does institutional racism currently exist in America?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and it is rampant.

    14 22.95%
  • Yes, in quite a few places, but not everywhere.

    30 49.18%
  • For the most part, no. It exists but is rare.

    15 24.59%
  • Absolutely not.

    2 3.28%
Page 24 of 38 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 379

Thread: Institutional Racism [W:344]

  1. #231
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,822

    re: Institutional Racism [W:344]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Go. Away.
    stay on topic and post some facts
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  2. #232
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    re: Institutional Racism [W:344]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    stay on topic and post some facts
    Too late, I already have. If you want to want to giggle and run around citing wikipedia as proof that you're right, go ahead. It makes you look the fool, not me.

    Clearly you've never gone to college. If you cite wikipedia as a source, you deserve to have your research ripped up in front of your face.

    Maybe you should try and live in the real world, instead of attempting to use the internet to prove crackpot beliefs and theories.

  3. #233
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    re: Institutional Racism [W:344]

    well, this has escalated rather quickly

  4. #234
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    re: Institutional Racism [W:344]

    Moderator's Warning:
    Institutional Racism [W:344]The baiting stops NOW. People need to talk about the subject. Who does or doesn't have hteir hand in the sand isn't the topic. Whether or not someone is being civil or staying on topic is not the topic. If you feel like someone is causing an issue either report it, ignore it, or at the worst tie it into a post actually primarily talking about the TOPIC. Any further baiting will result in further action

  5. #235
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,822

    re: Institutional Racism [W:344]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    1.)Too late, I already have.
    2.) If you want to want to giggle and run around citing wikipedia as proof that you're right, go ahead. It makes you look the fool, not me.

    3.)Clearly you've never gone to college.
    4.) If you cite wikipedia as a source, you deserve to have your research ripped up in front of your face.

    5.)Maybe you should try and live in the real world, instead of attempting to use the internet to prove crackpot beliefs and theories.
    1.) this is a lie proven by this thread, links and facts
    2.) what is foolish is not understanding how references (usually you learn this in highschool) works and wiki has them at the bottom and they link to LAW and GOVERNMENT sites

    i also listed separate LAW and GOVERNMENT sites and when i have time i can link court cases that also prove you wrong lol

    3.) says the guy that doesnt understand facts and how links/reference work LOL
    i have two degrees thanks

    4.) wiki is a fine source as long as the there are factual reference to go with it, you lose again lol

    5.) its funny you are so upset about being proven factually wrong with facts

    let me know when you need further educated, ill gladly use facts to prove you wrong again.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  6. #236
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    re: Institutional Racism [W:344]

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    I haven't denied AA takes place. I've pointed out that lowering standards for black applicants is not AA as you've claimed.
    If lower standards aren't AA, then what exactly is? Either affirmative action is taking place or it isn't. And if it is taking place, then that does explain at least some of the gap in the admissions.

    So I'll ask you again, is it taking place or is it not?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    The fact that you are now putting words in my mouth as a last resort demonstrates your lack of integrity and dishonesty. I guess it's easier to argue against points that have never been made than what people actually say, huh?

    As a last resort? I'm not the one who has failed to make a coherent argument on the matter. You are. You have yet to actually state your position on whether or not affirmative action has a place in graduate school acceptance. Your position has been that discrepancies in MCAT and GPA are not due to racial preferance. So naturally my counterargument is that you shouldn't have a problem with eliminating race as a factor in college acceptance if you don't think that minorities are being held a different standard. Thats not putting words in your mouth. That is your argument, that they aren't being held to different standards.

    To which I say fine, then there shouldn't be any problem with banning different standards, now should there?



    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    I didn't suggest that "blacks have significantly more clinical experience." I said that it's possible that they have such experiences among other advantages that you aren't privy to since you didn't see their applications. That's you putting words in my mouth again - more dishonesty, less integrity.
    More or less, you are saying they must have more of something else to make up for their lower of MCAT or GPA. I would like to know what that is.

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Like I said, admissions offices have a cutoff for MCAT and GPA. Everyone who makes the cutoff is evaluated individually. You're assuming that race, not any of the multiple other factors, is what admissions officers are considering at the expense of everything else. You're assuming that blacks aren't outperforming whites (in the eyes of admissions officers) in other areas. That is your assumption. Nothing more.
    Just because they have a cut off, doesn't mean they don't still continue to take MCAT and GPA into consideration. And regardless, you have yet to prove that blacks have more of something that make up for a lower GPA/MCAT. Until you actually prove that, this is a case of affirmative action.

    And I'm saying, what the admissions officers want to see is diversity rather then actual academic performance. Diversity for diversity's sake is affirmative action. I'm not making an assumption. I'm showing you facts. When race is banned from being a factor and standards are forced to be colorblind, minority enrollment falls. THEREFORE it is not an assumption to say that race is a factor in enrollment. It is a fact.

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Fact is, you're treating assumptions as facts and then whining because I'm calling you out for it. Another fact: you're getting pissy with me because I don't play red herring games. Cry harder.
    Fact is, you still don't have a shred of evidence in your favor. I've produced sources, I've produced statistics. What have you produced? Ad hominem attacks and rhetorical arguments. If you're going to rely on wordplay and hedging rhetoric to undermine what I hoped would be a serious debate, then I'm going to call it for what it is.

    Red herring games? Either you are childish or purposely trying to move the goal posts. This entire discussion has been about minorities being held to a different standard. It is an important question to know whether or not you support separate standards for graduate admissions. If you do not support such separate standards, then I want to know why you continue to argue against a race neutral admissions policy for graduate students. Now stop acting like a child and state your position.

  7. #237
    Professor
    Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-29-13 @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,179

    re: Institutional Racism [W:344]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post

    we account all our employes in many ways
    Do you account for them according to race, gender, or ethnicity?
    It's like you're dreaming of Gorgonzola when it's clearly Brie time, baby. Step into my office.

  8. #238
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,822

    re: Institutional Racism [W:344]

    Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    Do you account for them according to race, gender, or ethnicity?
    yep along with how much we pay them, where they live, education, experience, skills/background, single, kids, other jobs etc

    all that have nothing to do with AA/EO or any qoutas
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  9. #239
    Sage
    ksu_aviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,691
    Blog Entries
    10

    re: Institutional Racism [W:344]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    Have any statistics to back up that claim?
    Black America vs. Obama?

    Though 10 percent of the U.S. civilian labor force, African-Americans are 18 percent of U.S. government workers. They are 25 percent of the employees at Treasury and Veterans Affairs, 31 percent of the State Department, 37 percent of Department of Education employees and 38 percent of Housing and Urban Development. They are 42 percent of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp., 55 percent of the employees at the Government Printing Office and 82 percent at the Court Services and Offender Supervision Agency.
    You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

  10. #240
    Professor
    Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-29-13 @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,179

    re: Institutional Racism [W:344]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    yep along with how much we pay them, where they live, education, experience, skills/background, single, kids, other jobs etc

    all that have nothing to do with AA/EO or any qoutas
    Hmmm... So why account for them according to race, gender, etc..?

    Indeed, wouldn't such accounting lend itself to accusations of discrimination in any potential lawsuit?
    It's like you're dreaming of Gorgonzola when it's clearly Brie time, baby. Step into my office.

Page 24 of 38 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •