View Poll Results: Does institutional racism currently exist in America?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and it is rampant.

    14 22.95%
  • Yes, in quite a few places, but not everywhere.

    30 49.18%
  • For the most part, no. It exists but is rare.

    15 24.59%
  • Absolutely not.

    2 3.28%
Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 379

Thread: Institutional Racism [W:344]

  1. #191
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,771

    re: Institutional Racism [W:344]

    Quote Originally Posted by Knowledge=power View Post
    1.)Ignoring your childish ad hominem defense mechanisms,
    2.)I'll point out that you fail to even understand this topic in it's entirety.
    3.)Though the topic is institutional racism, a sub argument has spawned about education and how music / media influence one's attitude towards being an intellectual and seeing value in education. If you do not believe people are influenced by such outlets, you are deluding yourself.

    4.)If you agree that negative messages regarding education and civil behavior are prevalent in rap music, and that in turn, that music influences people's behavior... What are you arguing?
    1.) you mean ignoring the fact i pointed out you were wrong and made something up
    2.) wrong again, i am sticking to what I was actually discussing, you tried to make something up and failed
    3.) almost but not uite that was NOT what i was discussing but since you brought it up again you are still lying. I never said there was no influence, you fail again. if you disagree by all means quote me saying there was no "influence"

    its you deluding yourself to believe lies to make your failed straw man argument seem better, its not working
    anything else you want to make up and be wrong at?

    4.) never said this but if you are asking. Yes many things can have negative messages and have an influence. Never denied that one single time at all.

    again feel free to make up anything else you want of next time simply ask to avoid you being confused.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  2. #192
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    re: Institutional Racism [W:344]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    nope, quotas are illegal
    and if that did happened behind the scenes it would have nothing to do with AA/EO it would be in violation of it
    Not only are quotas legal - they're encouraged. Some places receive federal funds based on "diversity".

    Of course, the bigger point is that many corporations require "tokens" to pass inspection by the average Joe and win in the courts of public opinion. Image is everything, and even false claims of racism can damage a company's goodwill. This is why corporate lawyers will always settle, even if the lawsuit is bogus in every possible way, when it comes to red-button issues.

  3. #193
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    re: Institutional Racism [W:344]

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    I don't answer red herrings. Only dishonest, cowardly people who realize how horrible their arguments are change the topic like you have been trying to do for several posts now.

    Let me re-post my repeated answer to your original point to see if you have any integrity: You are the one who has the burden of proof. You are claiming that blacks are being held to lower standards. You have failed to demonstrate that. You have also failed to acknowledge the information I've given you about admissions processes. Like I said, again, med schools have GPA and MCAT cutoffs. Everyone who makes the cutoff is evaluated individually. You're assuming that race, not any of the multiple other factors, are what determines admission. Prove that it is.
    If I have any integrity? First you come out in support of Affirmative Action in college applications, then you completely deny that Affirmative Action is taking place and refuse to take a stand on whether or not it has a place in Med School applications. You my friend are the one who is being dishonest and trying to change the topic. I have consistently made the exact same point the entire thread.

    You're the one who suggested that blacks have significantly more clinical experience. I've only stated facts, you're the one coming up with alternative theories without offering any support for them. The fact of the matter here is that MCAT scores and GPA scores are the two biggest factors in determining acceptance. No such data exists on the "amount of clinical experience or research" gets one into med school by race. Not to mention, the differences in the acceptance rates between different ethnic groups is so staggering, even a minor difference in clinical experience isn't enough to explain it. The only explaination when grinding the statistics is that race is playing some factor into determining acceptance.

    1. For those students applying to medical school with average GPAs (3.40 to 3.59) and average MCAT scores (27-29), black applicants were almost three times more likely to be admitted than Asian applicants (84.0% vs. 28.1%), and 2.5 times more likely than white applicants (84.0% vs. 34.1%). Likewise, Hispanic students with average GPAs and average MCAT scores were about twice as likely to be accepted to medical school as white applicants (68.0% vs. 34.1%), and more than twice as likely as Asian applicants (68.0% vs. 28.1%). Overall, black (84%) and Hispanic (68%) applicants with average GPAs (3.40 to 3.59) and MCAT scores (27-29) were accepted to medical school at rates much higher than the average of 34.8% for all students with those academic credentials.

    2. For students applying to medical school with slightly below average GPAs of 3.20-3.39 and slightly below average MCAT scores of 24-26 (first column in the table), black applicants were more than 7 times more likely to be admitted to medical school as Asians (65.4% vs. 9.1%), and more than 5 times more likely as whites (65.4% vs. 12.2%). Compared to the average acceptance rate of 20.3% for all students applying with that combination of GPA and MCAT score, black and Hispanic applicants were much more likely to be accepted, and white and Asian applicants were much less likely to be accepted to medical school.

    3. We find the same pattern for students with slightly above average academic credentials. For example, for applicants with MCAT scores of 30-32 (slightly above average) and GPAs between 3.40-3.59 (average), the acceptance rates for blacks (93.2%) and Hispanics (80.6%) are much higher than for whites (54.2%) and Asians (48%).

    Acceptance rates at US medical schools between 2010-2012 reveal racial preferences for blacks and Hispanics | AEIdeas

    Also, it is abundantly clear whenever states adopt a ban on race conscious admissions (which you refuse to state if you are for or against), the enrollment of minorities drop.

    In a comparison of black and Chicano students who were admitted at UC medical schools between 1996 and 1997, Karabel (1998) showed that the numbers enrolled dropped by 38 and 29 percent, respectively, immediately after the ban took effect.
    engineering, the percent of graduate students who were students of color before the bans was about 6.2 percent. The estimated 1.6 percentage point drop from the analyses thus represents a decline to about 4.6 percent. Expressed as a fraction of the initial value, this is a decline of over a fourth, or 26 percent. Similarly, the bans led to a 19 percent drop in the natural sciences(from 7.8 percent to 6.3 percent), a 15.7 percent drop in the social sciences(from 12.1 percent to 10.2 percent), and an 11.8 percent decline in the humanities(from 10.2 percent to 9 percent)
    I couldn't find a study that only looked at the Med schools in these states, so this will have to do.

    Fact is, you won't come out and support race-neutral policies on graduate acceptance programs because you know affirmative action is playing a role here.

  4. #194
    Professor Knowledge=power's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-23-14 @ 09:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,398

    re: Institutional Racism [W:344]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    That's really no surprise. "Dumbing down" for minorities is hardly a new point or even a worthy discussion anymore. Remember when the tests that gauge promotions were thrown out for firefighters in a state up in the Northeast because 19 of the highest 20 scores were from white applicants?

    [Edit] I just looked it up. It's Connecticut.

    New Haven firefighters in discrimination case get promotions - CNN.com



    So yeah...nothing new.
    I agree. But apparently, to some, it is.

  5. #195
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,771

    re: Institutional Racism [W:344]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Not only are quotas legal - they're encouraged. Some places receive federal funds based on "diversity".

    Of course, the bigger point is that many corporations require "tokens" to pass inspection by the average Joe and win in the courts of public opinion. Image is everything, and even false claims of racism can damage a company's goodwill. This is why corporate lawyers will always settle, even if the lawsuit is bogus in every possible way, when it comes to red-button issues.
    as usual you are 100% wrong and this is proven with facts.

    QUOTAS are illegal in the US, this fact will not change

    any QOUTAS a company sets up they are doing on thier own and they are breakign the law if caught, they can CALL it AA/EO all they want it is factually not true
    Affirmative action - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Law regarding quotas and affirmative action varies widely from nation to nation. Caste based quotas are used in Reservation in India. However, they are illegal in the United States, where no employer, university, or other entity may create a set number required for each race.[6]
    AA is EO
    http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/aa.htm
    Executive Order numerical goals do not create set-asides for specific groups, nor are they designed to achieve proportional representation or equal results.
    and AA/EO is
    http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/aa.htm
    The contractor will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, or national origin. The contractor will take affirmative action to ensure that applicants are employed, and that employees are treated during employment, without regard to their race, color, religion, sex or national origin.
    The fact remains colleges and employers have broken the law and been found guilty for having quotas.
    Sorry you simply dont understand what AA/EO is.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  6. #196
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,957
    Blog Entries
    71

    re: Institutional Racism [W:344]

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    Yes, affirmative actions is institutionalized racism.
    Quote Originally Posted by vendur View Post
    affirmative action?.

    Racism de jure doesn't get any more institutionalized.


    Interesting.

    The main beneficiaries of AA are not just racial minorities

    Who wins out when it comes to affirmative action?

    Affirmative Action Benefits Whites Too ... More Than You Think - DiversityInc

    Who are the Intended Beneficiaries of Affirmative Action? [NC State University Affirmative Action in Employment Training]

    Recent Gains Highest For White Women As Affirmative Action Debate Opens, Data May Alter Its Course. - Philly.com
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

  7. #197
    Professor Knowledge=power's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-23-14 @ 09:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,398

    re: Institutional Racism [W:344]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    nope, quotas are illegal
    and if that did happened behind the scenes it would have nothing to do with AA/EO it would be in violation of it
    Quotas are encouraged. Ever heard of 'diversity training'? It's a nice way of saying 'hire more minorities.'

  8. #198
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,771

    re: Institutional Racism [W:344]

    Quote Originally Posted by Knowledge=power View Post
    Quotas are encouraged. Ever heard of 'diversity training'? It's a nice way of saying 'hire more minorities.'
    sorry facts disagree with you and prove you wrong, companies/institutions have been fined and have had criminal action taken against them for quotas

    OPPORTUNITY is what is required thats it
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  9. #199
    Professor Knowledge=power's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-23-14 @ 09:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,398

    re: Institutional Racism [W:344]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    1.) you mean ignoring the fact i pointed out you were wrong and made something up
    2.) wrong again, i am sticking to what I was actually discussing, you tried to make something up and failed
    3.) almost but not uite that was NOT what i was discussing but since you brought it up again you are still lying. I never said there was no influence, you fail again. if you disagree by all means quote me saying there was no "influence"

    its you deluding yourself to believe lies to make your failed straw man argument seem better, its not working
    anything else you want to make up and be wrong at?

    4.) never said this but if you are asking. Yes many things can have negative messages and have an influence. Never denied that one single time at all.

    again feel free to make up anything else you want of next time simply ask to avoid you being confused.
    1.) It is comical that your best defenses are "no, you fail," and "I never said that."

  10. #200
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,771

    re: Institutional Racism [W:344]

    Quote Originally Posted by Knowledge=power View Post
    1.) It is comical that your best defenses are "no, you fail," and "I never said that."
    its the only defense i need since i factually didnt say it LMAO

    whats comical is you dodging the fact

    if you disagree simply quote me saying what you claim, come on teach me a lesson prove me wrong.

    oh thats right you cant cause you lied LMAO
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •