View Poll Results: Does institutional racism currently exist in America?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and it is rampant.

    14 22.95%
  • Yes, in quite a few places, but not everywhere.

    30 49.18%
  • For the most part, no. It exists but is rare.

    15 24.59%
  • Absolutely not.

    2 3.28%
Page 19 of 38 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 379

Thread: Institutional Racism [W:344]

  1. #181
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    re: Institutional Racism [W:344]

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    It doesn't really matter what you doubt. The fact is that you are making assumptions and treating them as facts. Like I said, medical schools have cutoffs for GPA and MCAT scores. Then, the applications that make the cutoff are considered on their individual merits. If the cutoff is a 3.5 GPA and there are two candidates - one with a 3.6 and the other with a 3.8 - and the 3.6 gets in, the deciding factor could have been recommendations, life story, research experience or something else. You've decided that it's race. That's your problem - not black medical student's or admissions office's.
    It often is race - at least more often than you care to admit.

    I graduated from the University of Michigan. I know all too well, as I've seen it with my own school.

    Previous leadership roles, community service, activities, and other "dazzle factors" do indeed play a role - I challenge anyone to deny that. Having said that, I still say that race is at the top of the list, and once that's determined as the chief criterion, other less important factors are considered.

  2. #182
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    re: Institutional Racism [W:344]

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    It doesn't really matter what you doubt. The fact is that you are making assumptions and treating them as facts. Like I said, medical schools have cutoffs for GPA and MCAT scores. Then, the applications that make the cutoff are considered on their individual merits. If the cutoff is a 3.5 GPA and there are two candidates - one with a 3.6 and the other with a 3.8 - and the 3.6 gets in, the deciding factor could have been recommendations, life story, research experience or something else. You've decided that it's race. That's your problem - not black medical student's or admissions office's.
    You literally have nothing to back your statement up. And you know it. And you still are avoiding my question. If race doesn't play a factor into Med School acceptance, then would you be in favor of making the application process colorblind? You wouldn't, and you know it, because you know race is playing a factor here.

  3. #183
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    re: Institutional Racism [W:344]

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    You literally have nothing to back your statement up. And you know it. And you still are avoiding my question. If race doesn't play a factor into Med School acceptance, then would you be in favor of making the application process colorblind? You wouldn't, and you know it, because you know race is playing a factor here.
    What are you talking about? You are the one who has the burden of proof. You are claiming that blacks are being held to lower standards. You have failed to demonstrate that. You have also failed to acknowledge the information I've given you about admissions processes. Like I said, again, med schools have GPA and MCAT cutoffs. Everyone who makes the cutoff is evaluated individually. You're assuming that race, not any of the multiple other factors, are what determines admission. Prove that it is.

    Hint: You can't. LOL

  4. #184
    Professor Knowledge=power's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-23-14 @ 09:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,398

    re: Institutional Racism [W:344]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    no i dont mean to say that, nor did i
    why are you consistently trying to make stuff up LMAO, you fail every-time you try

    what im saying is my employer has zero qoutas

    we account all our employes in many ways
    All it would take is one black congresswoman to get wind of the lack of diversity in a workplace before you had a quota to avoid a lawsuit - even if that means turning away more qualified candidates. If that isn't institutional racism, nothing is.

  5. #185
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    re: Institutional Racism [W:344]

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    What are you talking about? You are the one who has the burden of proof. You are claiming that blacks are being held to lower standards. You have failed to demonstrate that. You have also failed to acknowledge the information I've given you about admissions processes. Like I said, again, med schools have GPA and MCAT cutoffs. Everyone who makes the cutoff is evaluated individually. You're assuming that race, not any of the multiple other factors, are what determines admission. Prove that it is.

    Hint: You can't. LOL
    So do you or don't you support making admissions colorblind and forbidding race from playing a factor?

  6. #186
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    re: Institutional Racism [W:344]

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    So do you or don't you support making admissions colorblind and forbidding race from playing a factor?
    I don't answer red herrings. Only dishonest, cowardly people who realize how horrible their arguments are change the topic like you have been trying to do for several posts now.

    Let me re-post my repeated answer to your original point to see if you have any integrity: You are the one who has the burden of proof. You are claiming that blacks are being held to lower standards. You have failed to demonstrate that. You have also failed to acknowledge the information I've given you about admissions processes. Like I said, again, med schools have GPA and MCAT cutoffs. Everyone who makes the cutoff is evaluated individually. You're assuming that race, not any of the multiple other factors, are what determines admission. Prove that it is.

  7. #187
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    re: Institutional Racism [W:344]

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    I don't answer red herrings. Only dishonest, cowardly people who realize how horrible their arguments are change the topic like you have been trying to do for several posts now.

    Let me re-post my repeated answer to your original point to see if you have any integrity: You are the one who has the burden of proof. You are claiming that blacks are being held to lower standards. You have failed to demonstrate that. You have also failed to acknowledge the information I've given you about admissions processes. Like I said, again, med schools have GPA and MCAT cutoffs. Everyone who makes the cutoff is evaluated individually. You're assuming that race, not any of the multiple other factors, are what determines admission. Prove that it is.
    So you're going to duck and dodge by pulling the "false negative" card? How disingenuous.

  8. #188
    Professor Knowledge=power's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-23-14 @ 09:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,398

    re: Institutional Racism [W:344]

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    I don't answer red herrings. Only dishonest, cowardly people who realize how horrible their arguments are change the topic like you have been trying to do for several posts now.

    Let me re-post my repeated answer to your original point to see if you have any integrity: You are the one who has the burden of proof. You are claiming that blacks are being held to lower standards. You have failed to demonstrate that. You have also failed to acknowledge the information I've given you about admissions processes. Like I said, again, med schools have GPA and MCAT cutoffs. Everyone who makes the cutoff is evaluated individually. You're assuming that race, not any of the multiple other factors, are what determines admission. Prove that it is.
    Before you can go to medical school, you have to pass high school.

    "Florida Board of Education to Set Lower Standards for Black Students
    Last month, the State Board of Education in Florida approved a new set of student achievement guidelines that sets lower standards for Black youth.

    Rather than closing the achievement gaps between students of different races, the guidelines simply accept them."

    Florida Board of Education to Set Lower Standards for Black Students

  9. #189
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    re: Institutional Racism [W:344]

    Quote Originally Posted by Knowledge=power View Post
    Before you can go to medical school, you have to pass high school.

    "Florida Board of Education to Set Lower Standards for Black Students
    Last month, the State Board of Education in Florida approved a new set of student achievement guidelines that sets lower standards for Black youth.

    Rather than closing the achievement gaps between students of different races, the guidelines simply accept them."

    Florida Board of Education to Set Lower Standards for Black Students
    That's really no surprise. "Dumbing down" for minorities is hardly a new point or even a worthy discussion anymore. Remember when the tests that gauge promotions were thrown out for firefighters in a state up in the Northeast because 19 of the highest 20 scores were from white applicants?

    [Edit] I just looked it up. It's Connecticut.

    New Haven firefighters in discrimination case get promotions - CNN.com

    CNN) -- The city of New Haven, Connecticut, will promote 14 firefighters who were involved in a workplace discrimination case that worked its way to the U.S. Supreme Court.

    The firefighters were among the New Haven 20 -- one Hispanic and 19 white firefighters -- who fought the city after it threw out the results of a 2003 firefighter promotion exam that left too few minorities qualified for promotions.

    A U.S. District Court issued a judgment finding the city violated the civil rights of a group of the white firefighters when it threw out the exams in 2004, according to Jessica Mayorga, city spokeswoman. The Tuesday decision follows a court action by seven black New Haven firefighters seeking to delay the promotions.

    "Yesterday, the court entered an order that provides the City of New Haven with the legal sanction necessary to move forward and promote the fourteen plaintiffs in the Ricci case entitled to promotions," the city said in a statement. "As a result, we intend to do so as soon as practicable."

    The firefighters will be promoted to either lieutenant or captain.

    Mayorga said the other six involved in the lawsuit were not eligible for promotions that were available at the time the exams were given. She said the court's order only addresses 14 of the 20 plaintiffs. If the exams had been certified in 2004, the other six plaintiffs would not have been promoted.

    The case was the center of attention during the Supreme Court confirmation hearings of now-Justice Sonia Sotomayor, who was on the 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals that backed the city in the case. The U.S. Supreme Court eventually overturned the appeals court ruling 5-4 earlier this year when the justices ruled that the city improperly threw out the results of the promotion exams.

    Key plaintiff Frank Ricci and others took promotion exams in 2003 for lieutenant and captain positions that had become available in Connecticut's second-largest city.

    New Haven's personnel department had contracted with a private firm to design the exams.

    When the results came back, however, city lawyers expressed concern about the results because none of the black firefighters and only one Latino who took the exam scored high enough to be promoted.

    The city said that under a federal civil rights law known as Title VII, employers must ban actions such as promotion tests that would have a "disparate impact" on a protected class, such as a specified race or gender. The group of firefighters, claiming they were wronged by the city's action, then sued, calling themselves the "New Haven 20."
    So yeah...nothing new.

  10. #190
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    re: Institutional Racism [W:344]

    Quote Originally Posted by Knowledge=power View Post
    All it would take is one black congresswoman to get wind of the lack of diversity in a workplace before you had a quota to avoid a lawsuit - even if that means turning away more qualified candidates. If that isn't institutional racism, nothing is.
    nope, quotas are illegal
    and if that did happened behind the scenes it would have nothing to do with AA/EO it would be in violation of it
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

Page 19 of 38 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •