View Poll Results: Does institutional racism currently exist in America?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and it is rampant.

    14 22.95%
  • Yes, in quite a few places, but not everywhere.

    30 49.18%
  • For the most part, no. It exists but is rare.

    15 24.59%
  • Absolutely not.

    2 3.28%
Page 14 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 379

Thread: Institutional Racism [W:344]

  1. #131
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    09-08-13 @ 02:07 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,655

    re: Institutional Racism [W:344]

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Thanks, WD. I'm messin' with ya'. Appreciate the link. I'm glad you posted this -- it's shocking, really:



    In my opinion, the city loses this case.

    I believe they did ...

  2. #132
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    re: Institutional Racism [W:344]

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    That's not affirmative action. That's illegal. That's also the kind of strawman that people who don't understand affirmative action and similar policies come up with to argue against something that nobody was arguing for in the first place. Try again.


    That's not what affirmative action is. Try again.

    DING DING DING DING

    we have a winner

    I also find it amazing how often this happens and how often people argue against something they are calling AA/EO that factually is not and against things NOBODY said.

    The argument is made up in their head and thats how you know its a strawman, theres no interest in even talking reality, they just keep repeating the made up argument in their heads
    Last edited by AGENT J; 05-30-13 at 10:29 PM.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  3. #133
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    09-08-13 @ 02:07 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,655

    re: Institutional Racism [W:344]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    Re. underfunding of schools in low income communities



    It disproportionately impacts minorities, so it is de facto racism, but classist also. One reason that people continue to support unequal school funding is racism, in my opinion. Not necessarily consciously racist, but because they think it doesn't affect anyone they know or care about (which is racist).
    good luck trying to explain intentional and overt forms of racism, let alone "institutional racism," to a con ... they don't get it or get it but deny it ... I believe they're missing a "decency" gene most of us have ... good luck though ... (maybe if you explain to this poster the relationship between race and class?)

  4. #134
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    re: Institutional Racism [W:344]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    It disproportionately impacts minorities
    right, because they make up a disproportionate amount of the poor. That's not racism. No more than programs aiding the poor, disproportionately affecting them is racism

    One reason that people continue to support unequal school funding is racism, in my opinion. Not necessarily consciously racist, ***but because they think it doesn't affect anyone they know or care about (which is racist).***
    how is that racist?

  5. #135
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    re: Institutional Racism [W:344]

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    That doesn't answer my question about why you think the song perpetuates ignorance surrounding women and sexuality.

  6. #136
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,943

    re: Institutional Racism [W:344]

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Actually, you did generalize the culture as whole. You said, "it is the rap/hip-hop culture that shuns learning and real work and berates blacks who are trying as being "too white" for trying to succeed". You described the culture as one that shins learning and real work and berates blacks as being "too white." That's a generalization. I corrected it.
    Not what I was saying, but I'll go with not presenting my point well. Basically, I'm trying to point out that the culture (vice the genre) has more negative influence (or elements if you prefer) than positive and is a contributor to holding back blacks and encouraging them not to try to be successful


    I don't believe you're unaware of how common denigrating higher education as "liberal indoctrination" is among conservatives, so you can find your own "samples".
    Ah now that brings more information to light. I believe that there are quite a few "conservative" post high school educational facilities around that the "right" is quite alright with. I would not call being against a liberal based higher education as being against higher education in general, which is what your first comment implied.

  7. #137
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    re: Institutional Racism [W:344]

    Hard Truth "One reason that people continue to support unequal school funding is racism, in my opinion. Not necessarily consciously racist, but because they think it doesn't affect anyone they know or care about (which is racist)."

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    how is that racist?
    When you don't care what happens to a group of people who are different from you, it is a form of bigotry, even if you say "I'm not a racist, but....." before you defend a practice that primarily hurts that particular group.

  8. #138
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    re: Institutional Racism [W:344]

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    That's not affirmative action. That's illegal. That's also the kind of strawman that people who don't understand affirmative action and similar policies come up with to argue against something that nobody was arguing for in the first place. Try again.


    That's not what affirmative action is. Try again.
    Look at the statistics. A black who gets into Med school averages a 27 MCAT and just over 3.3 GPA while a white needs a 31 and just over a 3.6. If that isn't affirmative action, then I don't know what is. But whatever that is, is wrong.

  9. #139
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    re: Institutional Racism [W:344]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    That doesn't answer my question about why you think the song perpetuates ignorance surrounding women and sexuality.
    Actually, it does.

  10. #140
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    re: Institutional Racism [W:344]

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    No, superficial things are still reflections of society. It's actually a good thing to recognize that and look beyond the surface of things to get a better understanding of where they are coming from. In any case, thank you for letting me know that you don't do critical thinking. It make a lot of sense and it will save me some time.
    Superficial music superfically represents society.

Page 14 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •