View Poll Results: Tax Reform

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - Here is my suggestion

    20 64.52%
  • No -

    2 6.45%
  • The current system should be abolished

    9 29.03%
  • Other

    0 0%
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 139

Thread: Revisit - Tax Reform

  1. #31
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Revisit - Tax Reform

    Yes, it definitely needs an overhaul. I don't think we need a new system, just a vastly simplified version of our current system. Keep the income tax, but treat everyone and everything the same. Make it a flat tax rate with a single cost-of-living deduction based on family size. No special taxes for medicare/medicaid and social security. They come out of the general budget and the general tax income. And no special tax rates for investment income or inherited income. They're treated the same as everything else. Think of all the money that would be saved every year if most people didn't have to file their taxes ever, because the right amount would already be deducted for you.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  2. #32
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Revisit - Tax Reform

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    Yes, it definitely needs an overhaul. I don't think we need a new system, just a vastly simplified version of our current system. Keep the income tax, but treat everyone and everything the same. Make it a flat tax rate with a single cost-of-living deduction based on family size. No special taxes for medicare/medicaid and social security. They come out of the general budget and the general tax income. And no special tax rates for investment income or inherited income. They're treated the same as everything else. Think of all the money that would be saved every year if most people didn't have to file their taxes ever, because the right amount would already be deducted for you.
    Why should family size matter? Family size is a personal choice and should be budgeted for just as anything else...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  3. #33
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Revisit - Tax Reform

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Why should family size matter? Family size is a personal choice and should be budgeted for just as anything else...
    Because people should never have to make a choice between paying their taxes and feeding their kids. And people should be encouraged to have children since if they dont', the human race will die out. I agree that people shouldn't have more kids than they're capable of supporting, but sometimes that isn't the case.

    Budgeting won't necessarily help either. Your budgets kind of get thrown out when someone loses their job or something like that.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  4. #34
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Revisit - Tax Reform

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    Because people should never have to make a choice between paying their taxes and feeding their kids. And people should be encouraged to have children since if they dont', the human race will die out. I agree that people shouldn't have more kids than they're capable of supporting, but sometimes that isn't the case.

    Budgeting won't necessarily help either. Your budgets kind of get thrown out when someone loses their job or something like that.
    Encouraging/discouraging behavior is exactly why we are where we are today with the tax code. Give each individual a deductible amount on their income, then collect the appropriate tax on the excess...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  5. #35
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Revisit - Tax Reform

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Encouraging/discouraging behavior is exactly why we are where we are today with the tax code.
    And not taking children into account when giving tax deductions will discourage people from having kids.

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Give each individual a deductible amount on their income, then collect the appropriate tax on the excess...
    Unless you're going to get rid of child labor laws, this won't fix the problem, since kids cost money from the day they're born, and can't start working til 16 in most places.

    All that will really happen if you go this route is that the deduction will be set high enough for an individual or couple that it covers the cost of living with 2-3 kids, so a bunch of people with less than 2 kids will get a bigger break than they would if it was based on family size, and a few people with more than 3 would be hurting.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  6. #36
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Revisit - Tax Reform

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    And not taking children into account when giving tax deductions will discourage people from having kids.



    Unless you're going to get rid of child labor laws, this won't fix the problem, since kids cost money from the day they're born, and can't start working til 16 in most places.

    All that will really happen if you go this route is that the deduction will be set high enough for an individual or couple that it covers the cost of living with 2-3 kids, so a bunch of people with less than 2 kids will get a bigger break than they would if it was based on family size, and a few people with more than 3 would be hurting.
    No, you simply set the deduction for the individual. If that individual decides to marry and the spouse chooses not to work, it shouldn't matter. If one chooses to have 5 children versus one or none is a personal choice and should have no relation to tax policy. Do you really believe tax policy determines the number of children a couple decides to have?
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  7. #37
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Revisit - Tax Reform

    Quote Originally Posted by HumanBeing View Post
    Back on topic, as I said before, all forms of taxation that are enforced against people involuntarily by means of violence and imprisonment are ethically abhorrent. This is especially true in cases where this taxation will be used to further fund the same organization (government) that is instigating this violence and imprisonment in the first place. It is ethically unjustifiable no matter how you spin it.
    Sorry, I can't buy into this ideal considering the process for adding Amendments to the US Constitution. Maybe it's different in your country.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  8. #38
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Revisit - Tax Reform

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    No, you simply set the deduction for the individual. If that individual decides to marry and the spouse chooses not to work, it shouldn't matter.
    I disagree. Marriage is a civil partnership and should be treated as such.

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    If one chooses to have 5 children versus one or none is a personal choice and should have no relation to tax policy. Do you really believe tax policy determines the number of children a couple decides to have?
    To some extent, yes.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  9. #39
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Revisit - Tax Reform

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    I disagree. Marriage is a civil partnership and should be treated as such.

    To some extent, yes.
    Tax policy never entered into the equation when we decided to have children, but budgetary constraints did...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  10. #40
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Revisit - Tax Reform

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Tax policy never entered into the equation when we decided to have children, but budgetary constraints did...
    I guess your accounting scenario was incomplete, then. I'd certainly consider an extra $100/mo important with more up the road in the form of further tax breaks as the child got older.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •