View Poll Results: Tax Reform

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - Here is my suggestion

    20 64.52%
  • No -

    2 6.45%
  • The current system should be abolished

    9 29.03%
  • Other

    0 0%
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 139

Thread: Revisit - Tax Reform

  1. #121
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,916

    Re: Revisit - Tax Reform

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    The landlord has a monopoly over his geographic area as well. There is no qualitative difference between a landlord and a government.
    I think you may like this article.
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

  2. #122
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Revisit - Tax Reform

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    And the court works for the city/county/state/fed.
    You can always appeal to the next higher court. The only exception is the Supreme Court, which decides on issues of the Constitutional, and those appointments are for life so there can be little if any political pressure put on it. There are hundreds of cases where the Supreme Court has ruled a law unconstitutional. You are invited to cite enough cases to warrant a claim of bias by the Supreme Court, and good luck with that.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  3. #123
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Revisit - Tax Reform

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoist View Post
    I think you may like this article.
    I've even used that letter of Jefferson's as part of a rebuttal in other threads.

    A lot of "Libertarians" (I use that word very loosely) don't understand that most of Locke's base philosophy disappeared with the commons. Locke himself makes it very plain right at the beginning that the commons are a required part of his argument. When he gets to talking about money, he freely admits that all previous bets are off and that men must decide for themselves how they are going to live with each other.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  4. #124
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Revisit - Tax Reform

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Flat tax.
    Sounds good to me.

    I would further make the income and capital gains tax rate the same, eliminate corporate taxes and eliminate all deductibles except charitable contributions.

  5. #125
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,040

    Re: Revisit - Tax Reform

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    You can always appeal to the next higher court. The only exception is the Supreme Court, which decides on issues of the Constitutional, and those appointments are for life so there can be little if any political pressure put on it. There are hundreds of cases where the Supreme Court has ruled a law unconstitutional. You are invited to cite enough cases to warrant a claim of bias by the Supreme Court, and good luck with that.
    Exactly, so we're back to citizens having almost no recourse when govt violates their end of the deal. We violate it, they lock us up. They violate it, we have to jump through extraordinary measures to correct it.

  6. #126
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Revisit - Tax Reform

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Exactly, so we're back to citizens having almost no recourse when govt violates their end of the deal. We violate it, they lock us up. They violate it, we have to jump through extraordinary measures to correct it.
    Which "deal" is that?

    There's nothing "extraordinary" about appealing a court decision, it happens every day.

    If you're against a particular law you should be doing something about it before it even becomes a law. Chances are you're not alone and an appeal can happen en masse as soon as the first person is ticketed/fined for it.
    Last edited by MoSurveyor; 06-03-13 at 08:55 PM.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  7. #127
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,040

    Re: Revisit - Tax Reform

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    Which "deal" is that?

    There's nothing "extraordinary" about appealing a court decision, it happens every day.

    If you're against a particular law you should be doing something about it before it even becomes a law. Chances are you're not alone and an appeal can happen en masse as soon as the first person is ticketed/fined for it.
    The deal is the constitution. The govt violates it constantly and there is no legal means to combat it because the judges are the govt.

  8. #128
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Revisit - Tax Reform

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    The deal is the constitution. The govt violates it constantly and there is no legal means to combat it because the judges are the govt.
    You are welcome to provide evidence of bias but I don't think you'll find any. The USSC has often struct down laws and parts of laws for being unconstitutional. That's the reason for the three branches of our government.

    In the case of income taxes there's an Amendment that covers it, an Amendment to which 42/48 States agreed.
    Last edited by MoSurveyor; 06-04-13 at 10:34 AM.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  9. #129
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,040

    Re: Revisit - Tax Reform

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    You are welcome to provide evidence of bias but I don't think you'll find any. The USSC has often struct down laws and parts of laws for being unconstitutional. That's the reason for the three branches of our government.

    In the case of income taxes there's an Amendment that covers it, an Amendment to which 42/48 States agreed.
    Im not talking about income taxes. The recent health care ruling however is one such example of where the court ruled clearly in favor of an unconstitutional action of govt.

  10. #130
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Revisit - Tax Reform

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Im not talking about income taxes. The recent health care ruling however is one such example of where the court ruled clearly in favor of an unconstitutional action of govt.
    In some people's opinion it is and in other people's opinion it isn't. Citing one example out of 200 years isn't even close to enough evidence to claim bias.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •