View Poll Results: Would you support a voting rights amendment?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    18 42.86%
  • No

    24 57.14%
  • Other

    0 0%
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 128

Thread: Constitutional Amendment Making Voting A Right

  1. #41
    Professor
    yobarnacle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    10-26-14 @ 11:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,495

    Re: Constitutional Amendment Making Voting A Right

    Quote Originally Posted by Republic Now! View Post
    Codifying voting as a right in the constitution furthers the notion that voting is some kind of privilege instead of a responsibility, and thus would be counter-productive.
    Also it would take voter laws away from the states and make it a federal purview.
    The only redeeming aspect if voting WAS federal, then vote fraud could be high treason and punished appropriately.
    If you live long enough, you will live in a foreign country, because the past is foreign to the present. We lived differently then. The only constant is change!

  2. #42
    Guru
    Republic Now!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    09-12-14 @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: Constitutional Amendment Making Voting A Right

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    No, it's not a privilege. It's a right.
    The fact that it is not presently a right is the subject of this thread.
    One who makes himself a worm cannot complain when tread upon.

  3. #43
    Guru
    Republic Now!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    09-12-14 @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: Constitutional Amendment Making Voting A Right

    Quote Originally Posted by yobarnacle View Post
    Also it would take voter laws away from the states and make it a federal purview.
    The only redeeming aspect if voting WAS federal, then vote fraud could be high treason and punished appropriately.
    How so?
    One who makes himself a worm cannot complain when tread upon.

  4. #44
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,034

    Re: Constitutional Amendment Making Voting A Right

    Quote Originally Posted by Republic Now! View Post
    The fact that it is not presently a right is the subject of this thread.
    I know. The reason it's so shocking that voting is not in the constitution (less shocking for women, black people and non-land owners) is because democracy is so ingrained within the spirit of the United States. So I meant in spirit, if not yet in the letter, voting is a right.

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Constitutional Amendment Making Voting A Right

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    There are many people who don't realize that voting is NOT a right granted by the U.S. Constitution.
    Article 1, Section 2, United States Constitution:

    The House of Representatives shall be composed of Members chosen every second Year by the People of the several States, and the Electors in each State shall have the Qualifications requisite for Electors of the most numerous Branch of the State Legislature.
    Article 1, Section 4, United States Constitution:

    The Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof; but the Congress may at any time by Law make or alter such Regulations, except as to the Places of chusing Senators.
    /thread

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Constitutional Amendment Making Voting A Right

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    i always assumed it was because they don"t want them voting against the judges who sentenced them but i understand i may be wrong......
    Since when are judges elected?

  7. #47
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,364

    Re: Constitutional Amendment Making Voting A Right

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    no its not. I want to see if those who want criminals to vote (mainly because-according to Stanford Law Professor Pamela Karlan-criminals vote in huge proportions for democrats) are also willing to extend to them other rights they lose after convictions
    That's easy. If their crime was commited with a gun they lose their gun rights forever but they can still vote. Let the punishment fit the crime.

  8. #48
    Guru
    Republic Now!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    09-12-14 @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: Constitutional Amendment Making Voting A Right

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    I know. The reason it's so shocking that voting is not in the constitution (less shocking for women, black people and non-land owners) is because democracy is so ingrained within the spirit of the United States. So I meant in spirit, if not yet in the letter, voting is a right.
    And the amendment would make it even worse by validating the notion that voting is a privilege instead of a responsibility.
    One who makes himself a worm cannot complain when tread upon.

  9. #49
    Guru
    Republic Now!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    09-12-14 @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: Constitutional Amendment Making Voting A Right

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    That's easy. If their crime was commited with a gun they lose their gun rights forever but they can still vote. Let the punishment fit the crime.
    What if they commit their crime with a gigantic piece of paper?
    One who makes himself a worm cannot complain when tread upon.

  10. #50
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,364

    Re: Constitutional Amendment Making Voting A Right

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post

    There are many people who don't realize that voting is NOT a right granted by the U.S. Constitution.




    Article 1, Section 2, United States Constitution:

    The House of Representatives shall be composed of Members chosen every second Year by the People of the several States, and the Electors in each State shall have the Qualifications requisite for Electors of the most numerous Branch of the State Legislature.



    Article 1, Section 4, United States Constitution:

    The Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof; but the Congress may at any time by Law make or alter such Regulations, except as to the Places of chusing Senators. /thread
    There's not one mention of voting or the right to vote in any of that. Is that why you posted it?

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •