View Poll Results: Would you support a voting rights amendment?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    18 42.86%
  • No

    24 57.14%
  • Other

    0 0%
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 128

Thread: Constitutional Amendment Making Voting A Right

  1. #31
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Constitutional Amendment Making Voting A Right

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    I assume you mean ex-convicts? That's good, and not entirely surprising.



    What a mess, and a dilemma: If they pay taxes that go to services that help us all, but aren't American's on paper, do they still get the right to participate in the political process?
    Well in those places they do. I really have no problem with it, especially at the local level where they are most affected on a daily basis. I really wouldn't care if they voted in the national elections.

  2. #32
    Professor
    yobarnacle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    10-26-14 @ 11:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,495

    Re: Constitutional Amendment Making Voting A Right

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Losing your ability to participate in the system that you live in, even after you've served your time, can be argued to be cruel and unusual, excessive at the very least. In any case it's an emotional argument and therefore shouldn't be considered valid as reason for permanently disenfranchising someone.
    I'm in favor of bringing back corporal punishment, stocks, and public hanging!

    Country club prisons don't seem to be much of a deterrent to criminals.

    Cruel and unusual?

    Ok, let's take a lesson from earlier epochs, and TRANSPORT criminals so they AREN"T enjoying the society they abused!
    Now, where is a good remote harsh unpopulated land mass. Seems only Antarctica is left. Send them there! Dressed in a thong!
    If you live long enough, you will live in a foreign country, because the past is foreign to the present. We lived differently then. The only constant is change!

  3. #33
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,036

    Re: Constitutional Amendment Making Voting A Right

    Quote Originally Posted by yobarnacle View Post
    I'm in favor of bringing back corporal punishment, stocks, and public hanging! Country clu-
    Thaaaat's nice. It's been great talking to you.

  4. #34
    Professor
    Monserrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    04-29-14 @ 11:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,497

    Re: Constitutional Amendment Making Voting A Right

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    There are many people who don't realize that voting is NOT a right granted by the U.S. Constitution. Would you support such an amendment?

    Choices: Would you support a voting rights amendment?

    Yes
    No
    Other (Possibly accomplished with a Federal Statute)

    Here is what is being proposed by two Democratic representatives:

    A pair of Democratic congressmen is pushing an amendment that would place an affirmative right to vote in the U.S. Constitution. According to Rep. Mark Pocan (D-WI), who is sponsoring the legislation along with Rep. Keith Ellison (D-MN), the amendment would protect voters from what he described as a “systematic” push to “restrict voting access” through voter ID laws, shorter early voting deadlines, and other measures that are being proposed in many states.


    “Most people believe that there already is something in the Constitution that gives people the right to vote, but unfortunately … there is no affirmative right to vote in the Constitution. We have a number of amendments that protect against discrimination in voting, but we don’t have an affirmative right,” Pocan told TPM last week. “Especially in an era … you know, in the last decade especially we’ve just seen a number of these measures to restrict access to voting rights in so many states. … There’s just so many of these that are out there, that it shows the real need that we have.”


    The brief amendment would stipulate that “every citizen of the United States, who is of legal voting age, shall have the fundamental right to vote in any public election held in the jurisdiction in which the citizen resides.” It would also give Congress “the power to enforce and implement this article by appropriate legislation.”

    snip

    Congressmen Propose Constitutional Amendment To Block Voting Rights Challenges | TPMDC
    Most people should not be allowed to vote, ever. Maybe in smaller local elections where they vote in someone who fits set qualifications and then can vote for the people at the national level by proxy...
    I believe half of the things I say and say half of the things I believe.

  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Constitutional Amendment Making Voting A Right

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    There are many people who don't realize that voting is NOT a right granted by the U.S. Constitution. Would you support such an amendment?

    Choices: Would you support a voting rights amendment?

    Yes
    No
    Other (Possibly accomplished with a Federal Statute)

    Here is what is being proposed by two Democratic representatives:

    A pair of Democratic congressmen is pushing an amendment that would place an affirmative right to vote in the U.S. Constitution. According to Rep. Mark Pocan (D-WI), who is sponsoring the legislation along with Rep. Keith Ellison (D-MN), the amendment would protect voters from what he described as a “systematic” push to “restrict voting access” through voter ID laws, shorter early voting deadlines, and other measures that are being proposed in many states.


    “Most people believe that there already is something in the Constitution that gives people the right to vote, but unfortunately … there is no affirmative right to vote in the Constitution. We have a number of amendments that protect against discrimination in voting, but we don’t have an affirmative right,” Pocan told TPM last week. “Especially in an era … you know, in the last decade especially we’ve just seen a number of these measures to restrict access to voting rights in so many states. … There’s just so many of these that are out there, that it shows the real need that we have.”


    The brief amendment would stipulate that “every citizen of the United States, who is of legal voting age, shall have the fundamental right to vote in any public election held in the jurisdiction in which the citizen resides.” It would also give Congress “the power to enforce and implement this article by appropriate legislation.”

    snip

    Congressmen Propose Constitutional Amendment To Block Voting Rights Challenges | TPMDC
    I said no. No one should be denied voting for reasons such as race or sex. But, voting is a social contract between the government and its people, and one that comes with responsibility. Those who are unqualified (illegals), or unable to uphold their end of bargain shouldn't be involved in the decision making of governance.

  6. #36
    Professor
    yobarnacle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    10-26-14 @ 11:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,495

    Re: Constitutional Amendment Making Voting A Right

    In early United States, only land owners (male) were allowed to vote. That seems harsh by todays standards.
    But there was good reason NOT to let itinerant laborers and never-do-wells, and transients vote. They had no stake in the local economy.
    Owning land was easy. Lot's of free land to homestead. The homesteading was the hard part.
    Anyone successful in carving a home out of the wilderness, had EARNED a right to vote.
    The best we can do today, is voter IDs to prevent fraudulent votes from dead folks and multiple voting transients, and illegals.
    If you live long enough, you will live in a foreign country, because the past is foreign to the present. We lived differently then. The only constant is change!

  7. #37
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,036

    Re: Constitutional Amendment Making Voting A Right

    Quote Originally Posted by yobarnacle View Post
    In early United States, only land owners (male) were allowed to vote. That seems harsh by todays standards.
    But there was good reason NOT to let itinerant laborers and never-do-wells, and transients vote. They had no stake in the local economy.
    Owning land was easy. Lot's of free land to homestead. The homesteading was the hard part.
    Anyone successful in carving a home out of the wilderness, had EARNED a right to vote.
    The best we can do today, is voter IDs to prevent fraudulent votes from dead folks and multiple voting transients, and illegals.
    I agree. We should go back to only allowing Protestant white male land owners to vote.

  8. #38
    Professor
    yobarnacle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    10-26-14 @ 11:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,495

    Re: Constitutional Amendment Making Voting A Right

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    I agree. We should go back to only allowing Protestant white male land owners to vote.
    I did not say that which you agree with.

    Don't put words in my mouth.

    I can get into plenty of trouble ALL BY MYSELF, thankyou!
    If you live long enough, you will live in a foreign country, because the past is foreign to the present. We lived differently then. The only constant is change!

  9. #39
    Guru
    Republic Now!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    09-12-14 @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: Constitutional Amendment Making Voting A Right

    Codifying voting as a right in the constitution furthers the notion that voting is some kind of privilege instead of a responsibility, and thus would be counter-productive.
    One who makes himself a worm cannot complain when tread upon.

  10. #40
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,036

    Re: Constitutional Amendment Making Voting A Right

    Quote Originally Posted by Republic Now! View Post
    Codifying voting as a right in the constitution furthers the notion that voting is some kind of privilege instead of a responsibility, and thus would be counter-productive.
    No, it's not a privilege. It's a right.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •