View Poll Results: When will the US Dollar Collpase?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Under a year?

    4 7.84%
  • 2-10 years

    14 27.45%
  • 10-25 years

    4 7.84%
  • Not in our life time but eventually

    14 27.45%
  • Never

    15 29.41%
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 151

Thread: When will the Dollar Collapse ?

  1. #81
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,400

    Re: When will the Dollar Collpapse ?

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    Gold has no more intrinsic value than paper and is measured in dollars. If our currency collapses the only thing of value will be commodities like food, water, medicine, shelter, energy, other goods etc.
    And resumes that support such.

  2. #82
    Only Losers H8 Capitalism
    Spartacus FPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your echo chamber
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,893

    Re: When will the Dollar Collpapse ?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    And resumes that support such.
    You mean we accountants will be screwed?
    Haymarket's "support" of the 2nd Amendment, a right he believes we never had.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    no. You cannot lose rights you do not have in the first place. There is no such thing as the right to have any weapon of your choice regardless of any other consideration. It simply does not exist.

  3. #83
    Educator HumanBeing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    745

    Re: When will the Dollar Collpapse ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    Denial ain't just a river in Egypt

    All fiat currencies only maintain their value because sellers will accept them as having value, because sellers are also buyers and know that by accepting paper money they too will be able to purchase what they want.

    So once again: When in American history have citizens refused to accept paper currency when selling something?

    Simply because you believe and hold tight to an article of faith, does not mean said belief is true in the real world.
    You seem to have the whole thing backwards. Your paper is an article of faith, almost literally. People haven't been allowed to refuse paper. They have tried switching to precious metals, and the government confiscated it and replaced it with paper again. That is why it has its value. Using the fact that they have always accepted it as proof of your point just shows you don't even understand what the point actually is.

    Quote Originally Posted by grip
    Gold has no more intrinsic value than paper and is measured in dollars. If our currency collapses the only thing of value will be commodities like food, water, medicine, shelter, energy, other goods etc.
    Gold has more intrinsic value in the long term simply because it is a finite resource. I fully agree that in a total economic collapse it would be one of the least useful precious metals out there, but it would still hold value better than paper.

    And I'd still appreciate an answer from either of you to the question: If people are so into fiat currency, why do people have to be forced to use it for everything? Look throughout history, right from the start the value of fiat currency was created by demanding that it be used to pay taxes. That meant sales people had no choice but to accept it. Then when people started noticing inflation (which is a product of fraudulent economies) and they switched back to metals, they had it all confiscated. This has been repeated over and over and over since the 10th century, yet for some reason you refuse to see what it means.
    If you hate capitalism so much, then just write everything in lower case. Problem solved.

  4. #84
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: When will the Dollar Collpapse ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    No disagreement with your point on market prices, but as for why would you trade ammunition? Precisely for the reason you inadvertantly stated, because they will be "valuable." I wasn't suggesting bartering ammo for gold, that would more often be done the other way around I suspect.

    I was thinking more along the lines of food or water for a few rounds, since a single 5 cent 22LR can mean one to several meals if you find a rabbit or other varmint, even small game and fur.
    See that's the issue with this idea, preppers like to keep gold on hand because they think people will want trade things like ammo, food, water, etc for it. Problem is that the gold has no inherent function that is useful, and therefore its worthless. It would be no different than a dollar bill, except maybe you could wipe your ass with a dollar bill if you needed to.

    Do you not see the problem when you and everyone else has the same idea that they'll trade gold for things they'll need? That everyone will have gold and no one will want more of it.

  5. #85
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: When will the Dollar Collpapse ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    See that's the issue with this idea, preppers like to keep gold on hand because they think people will want trade things like ammo, food, water, etc for it. Problem is that the gold has no inherent function that is useful, and therefore its worthless. It would be no different than a dollar bill, except maybe you could wipe your ass with a dollar bill if you needed to.

    Do you not see the problem when you and everyone else has the same idea that they'll trade gold for things they'll need? That everyone will have gold and no one will want more of it.
    gold is not worthless, ..its universal.

    it we were to have a barter system, and I need something from you, but I have nothing you want from me, I could trade gold or silver, because it can be exchanged for anything, thru the next barter you would engage in....and this is fact.

    gold has never been worthless....never.

    thru every civilization which has risen and fell, it has maintained value.

    those who say gold is no good... are wrong....because history of 5,000 years is against them.

  6. #86
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: When will the Dollar Collpapse ?

    Quote Originally Posted by HumanBeing View Post
    Gold has more intrinsic value in the long term simply because it is a finite resource. I fully agree that in a total economic collapse it would be one of the least useful precious metals out there, but it would still hold value better than paper.

    And I'd still appreciate an answer from either of you to the question: If people are so into fiat currency, why do people have to be forced to use it for everything? Look throughout history, right from the start the value of fiat currency was created by demanding that it be used to pay taxes. That meant sales people had no choice but to accept it. Then when people started noticing inflation (which is a product of fraudulent economies) and they switched back to metals, they had it all confiscated. This has been repeated over and over and over since the 10th century, yet for some reason you refuse to see what it means.
    In a total economic collapse, I can't see it having any value at first. In a partial collapse or slow dollar devaluation it could increase in value. Gold is used in cell phones, electronics, jewelry, medicine and dental as a practical source.

    Paper currency became popular because of it's efficiency over coinage. Money was a natural evolution from the precious metals, jewels, spices and goods bartering system, since it could represent the same thing. I don't see a problem because you can still invest your wealth in other assets besides cash.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  7. #87
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: When will the Dollar Collpapse ?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    gold is not worthless, ..its universal.

    it we were to have a barter system, and I need something from you, but I have nothing you want from me, I could trade gold or silver, because it can be exchanged for anything, thru the next barter you would engage in....and this is fact.

    gold has never been worthless....never.

    thru every civilization which has risen and fell, it has maintained value.

    those who say gold is no good... are wrong....because history of 5,000 years is against them.
    In a situation where society/civilization or the dollar has collapsed and this guy's prepper plan goes into action, gold is worthless. If I'm leaving out of my back pack because the world has ended, what possible use do I have for gold?

    Or in a less extreme situation where the dollar has lost all value, lets say to hyperinflation, people aren't going to rush to use gold instead. How do I know? Because throughout modern history when a country's currency goes to hell, people have never switched to gold. The Weimar Republic? The Germans didn't use gold. The Great Depression? Americans didn't switch to gold. People in Zimbabwe? Not using gold. Yugoslavia in the early 90s? People didn't switch to gold.

    In fact I challenge you to find an example in history where a society has suffered a collapse in the value of its currency and has reverted back to the use of gold as a currency. It's never happened, and it won't happen in the US if the dollar collapses again.

  8. #88
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: When will the Dollar Collpapse ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    In a situation where society/civilization or the dollar has collapsed and this guy's prepper plan goes into action, gold is worthless. If I'm leaving out of my back pack because the world has ended, what possible use do I have for gold?

    Or in a less extreme situation where the dollar has lost all value, lets say to hyperinflation, people aren't going to rush to use gold instead. How do I know? Because throughout modern history when a country's currency goes to hell, people have never switched to gold. The Weimar Republic? The Germans didn't use gold. The Great Depression? Americans didn't switch to gold. People in Zimbabwe? Not using gold. Yugoslavia in the early 90s? People didn't switch to gold.

    In fact I challenge you to find an example in history where a society has suffered a collapse in the value of its currency and has reverted back to the use of gold as a currency. It's never happened, and it won't happen in the US if the dollar collapses again.
    if the dollar collapses, the world in NOT ending.............its going to go on again and again, with gold being part of it, as it has for thousands of years, and it will have value and be traded.

    just has copper, tin and the mix (bronze) have been traded.

    those who believe gold is going to be worthless, are deluded, in their thinking.

  9. #89
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: When will the Dollar Collpapse ?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    if the dollar collapses, the world in NOT ending.............its going to go on again and again, with gold being part of it, as it has for thousands of years, and it will have value and be traded.

    just has copper, tin and the mix (bronze) have been traded.

    those who believe gold is going to be worthless, are deluded, in their thinking.
    Gold isn't worthless in the sense that it has market value because there is demand for it, but its value is hyper-inflated because people believe it has some magical properties relating to its value. When you look at iron or steel for example, it has value because its used in things like construction, auto plants, etc. Gold is used in the production of various products but its value doesn't reflect its usefulness in those regards, its way over valued because people want to own it they think its special.

    But again, when a currency falls apart, it has never in history been replaced by a hard metal acting as a currency. There are dozens if not hundreds of examples in the last few hundred years of a currency losing all its value for one reason or another, and there is not a single example of the people replacing it with gold.

    Seriously, if you're going to claim that if the American dollar were to lose all its value that it will be replaced by gold as a currency or that people will seek to trade valueable things that will feed them and keep them alive for a piece of metal, than show me an example.

    Show me an example in history of this happening.

    Show me.

  10. #90
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: When will the Dollar Collpapse ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    Gold isn't worthless in the sense that it has market value because there is demand for it, but its value is hyper-inflated because people believe it has some magical properties relating to its value. When you look at iron or steel for example, it has value because its used in things like construction, auto plants, etc. Gold is used in the production of various products but its value doesn't reflect its usefulness in those regards, its way over valued because people want to own it they think its special.

    But again, when a currency falls apart, it has never in history been replaced by a hard metal acting as a currency. There are dozens if not hundreds of examples in the last few hundred years of a currency losing all its value for one reason or another, and there is not a single example of the people replacing it with gold.

    Seriously, if you're going to claim that if the American dollar were to lose all its value that it will be replaced by gold as a currency or that people will seek to trade valueable things that will feed them and keep them alive for a piece of metal, than show me an example.

    Show me an example in history of this happening.

    Show me.


    I am making the point, that some act as though gold, will have no value, and there is no reason to hold it.

    gold holds a value, which can always be bartered over.

    when paper currency fails, people will turn back to things which are intrinsic in value, and gold is one of them.

    it is currently those who hold a leftist perspective that believe gold is nothing............they are wrong.

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •