View Poll Results: When will the US Dollar Collpase?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Under a year?

    4 7.84%
  • 2-10 years

    14 27.45%
  • 10-25 years

    4 7.84%
  • Not in our life time but eventually

    14 27.45%
  • Never

    15 29.41%
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 151

Thread: When will the Dollar Collapse ?

  1. #71
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: When will the Dollar Collpapse ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    No, people will still agree it has value, as it always has. Its a commidity that doesn't increase or decrease in value, only the currencies it is valued in do. When the dollar goes down the value of gold goes up, just like the cost of a barrel of oil.

    I'm a prepper, I have all the basic and advanced living requirements I need. I could wake up the last man alive tomorrow and live a long life.

    In fact that is pretty much why I'm looking for some remote property in the mountains.

    I would probably exchange it for ammunition, vice or property. Why would I want dollars? You're right you really don't get gold. Its fine, you don't need it. Most people don't, nor do I recommend it as a primary investment or wealth shelter.

    If the dollar collapsed tomorrow, you wouldn't need gold to barter with if you had a few cases of alcohol, or boxes of bullets to trade. Having some of all of the things people would want/use/trade would be great too. Gold is just easier to carry and trade large amounts of value.

    Besides, a barter system would be temporary anyways.
    Gold is a commodity like anything else, and it has a supply and a demand that affect its price, its not immune to market forces. Supposing you were in a situation where you had to trade to survive, why would I give up valueable ammo for a heavy metal that serves no purpose at all? It only has value if people think it has value, that's the same for any commodity. Oil is likewise affected by supply and demand, not just the pice of the dollar.

    Also while gold and the value of the dollar are often seen as inverses of each other, that's not always the case
    Buttonwood: Something doesn't fit | The Economist

  2. #72
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,995
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: When will the Dollar Collpapse ?

    Gold holds value because, even in the worst depressions, there are still fantastically wealthy people, and they tend to like stuff made out of gold.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  3. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mecca
    Last Seen
    01-14-15 @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,426

    Re: When will the Dollar Collapse ?

    Quote Originally Posted by CalGun View Post
    Or do you think it will?
    It already has.

  4. #74
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:28 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,843

    Re: When will the Dollar Collpapse ?

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    Gold holds value because, even in the worst depressions, there are still fantastically wealthy people, and they tend to like stuff made out of gold.
    There are other uses for gold besides 'pretty shiny things'
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  5. #75
    Only Losers H8 Capitalism
    Spartacus FPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your echo chamber
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,893

    Re: When will the Dollar Collpapse ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    Gold is a commodity like anything else, and it has a supply and a demand that affect its price, its not immune to market forces. Supposing you were in a situation where you had to trade to survive, why would I give up valueable ammo for a heavy metal that serves no purpose at all? It only has value if people think it has value, that's the same for any commodity. Oil is likewise affected by supply and demand, not just the pice of the dollar.

    Also while gold and the value of the dollar are often seen as inverses of each other, that's not always the case
    Buttonwood: Something doesn't fit | The Economist
    No disagreement with your point on market prices, but as for why would you trade ammunition? Precisely for the reason you inadvertantly stated, because they will be "valuable." I wasn't suggesting bartering ammo for gold, that would more often be done the other way around I suspect.

    I was thinking more along the lines of food or water for a few rounds, since a single 5 cent 22LR can mean one to several meals if you find a rabbit or other varmint, even small game and fur.
    Haymarket's "support" of the 2nd Amendment, a right he believes we never had.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    no. You cannot lose rights you do not have in the first place. There is no such thing as the right to have any weapon of your choice regardless of any other consideration. It simply does not exist.

  6. #76
    Educator HumanBeing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    745

    Re: When will the Dollar Collpapse ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    Sorry, you really aren't grasping reality. Were prices for basic goods lower in 1934 than in 1929? Were they the same? The point being, if a seller will take the paper money and provide a product, the paper money is not worthless. If you can buy more product in one year with X dollars than you could the year before - are you worse off?

    Please note the 'Roll eyes" gif is a sarcasm indicator.
    You don't seem to understand the point. "Paper prices" become irrelevant when people stop caring about the numbers and see it for what it is; paper. Sellers get to a point where they just stop accepting it if there are alternatives like gold which can't simply be printed. If that wasn't the case, governments wouldn't care, and they wouldn't need to ban people from owning gold when it suits them. You're missing the point that when a currency collapses, it just becomes worthless paper, nothing more. Historically even in times when people don't trust fiat currency to be worth the paper it's printed on, they will always still be willing to accept precious metals. It's the way it has always been, the way it will be for the foreseeable future.
    If you hate capitalism so much, then just write everything in lower case. Problem solved.

  7. #77
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:28 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,843

    Re: When will the Dollar Collpapse ?

    Quote Originally Posted by HumanBeing View Post
    You don't seem to understand the point. "Paper prices" become irrelevant when people stop caring about the numbers and see it for what it is; paper. Sellers get to a point where they just stop accepting it if there are alternatives like gold which can't simply be printed. If that wasn't the case, governments wouldn't care, and they wouldn't need to ban people from owning gold when it suits them. You're missing the point that when a currency collapses, it just becomes worthless paper, nothing more. Historically even in times when people don't trust fiat currency to be worth the paper it's printed on, they will always still be willing to accept precious metals. It's the way it has always been, the way it will be for the foreseeable future.
    I would say it is you who refuses to "understand the point."

    If people can continue to feed themselves and family, if they have shelter and if they pay for these with paper money - said paper has value. Your response is that of the stereotypical goldbug who refuses to accept the reality that is shown to us by history and by the present day economy.

    When in American history have citizens refused to accept paper currency when selling something?
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  8. #78
    Educator HumanBeing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    745

    Re: When will the Dollar Collpapse ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    I would say it is you who refuses to "understand the point."

    If people can continue to feed themselves and family, if they have shelter and if they pay for these with paper money - said paper has value. Your response is that of the stereotypical goldbug who refuses to accept the reality that is shown to us by history and by the present day economy.

    When in American history have citizens refused to accept paper currency when selling something?
    Last time: Paper money doesn't get you anything if people refuse to accept it. That's why governments go to such great lengths to force people to buy and sell with it whether they like it or not. Your last question proves my point; when people want to switch, they are forced, by law, back into using paper. All fiat currencies only maintain their value through state sponsored threat of violence and imprisonment.
    If you hate capitalism so much, then just write everything in lower case. Problem solved.

  9. #79
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:28 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,843

    Re: When will the Dollar Collpapse ?

    Quote Originally Posted by HumanBeing View Post
    Last time: Paper money doesn't get you anything if people refuse to accept it. That's why governments go to such great lengths to force people to buy and sell with it whether they like it or not. Your last question proves my point; when people want to switch, they are forced, by law, back into using paper. All fiat currencies only maintain their value through state sponsored threat of violence and imprisonment.

    Denial ain't just a river in Egypt

    All fiat currencies only maintain their value because sellers will accept them as having value, because sellers are also buyers and know that by accepting paper money they too will be able to purchase what they want.

    So once again: When in American history have citizens refused to accept paper currency when selling something?

    Simply because you believe and hold tight to an article of faith, does not mean said belief is true in the real world.
    Last edited by Somerville; 05-27-13 at 02:12 PM. Reason: wrong word
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  10. #80
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: When will the Dollar Collpapse ?

    Quote Originally Posted by HumanBeing View Post
    Last time: Paper money doesn't get you anything if people refuse to accept it. That's why governments go to such great lengths to force people to buy and sell with it whether they like it or not. Your last question proves my point; when people want to switch, they are forced, by law, back into using paper. All fiat currencies only maintain their value through state sponsored threat of violence and imprisonment.
    Gold has no more intrinsic value than paper and is measured in dollars. If our currency collapses the only thing of value will be commodities like food, water, medicine, shelter, energy, other goods etc.

    The worst probable events for the US would be if the gov debt keeps going unchecked and the FED's monetary policy weakens the dollar. The gov is trying to prevent stagflation, where there is little to no growth and the economy suffers from the impact of food and energy inflation.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •