View Poll Results: When will the US Dollar Collpase?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Under a year?

    4 7.84%
  • 2-10 years

    14 27.45%
  • 10-25 years

    4 7.84%
  • Not in our life time but eventually

    14 27.45%
  • Never

    15 29.41%
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 151

Thread: When will the Dollar Collapse ?

  1. #141
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:10 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,774

    Re: When will the Dollar Collpapse ?

    Quote Originally Posted by HumanBeing View Post
    OK, it's evident you haven't even read so much as a historical summary of the era let alone studied what actually happened.

    Private ownership of all but tiny amounts of gold was made illegal, this also included gold certificates that had been issued by the fed. People who refused to hand their gold in for below market rates as ordered by the government were fined and imprisoned. You say it wouldn't happen again today, yet Obama proposed the exact same thing last year. I'm done with this, at least until you can be bothered to take the time to learn a little more about the history of your own nation and economics in general.
    Provide proof of your statement, "Obama proposed the exact same thing last year" from any site that isn't promoting either conspiracy theories or the selling of gold OR admit that you believe it is true, you just don't have the 'facts' at hand.
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  2. #142
    Educator HumanBeing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    745

    Re: When will the Dollar Collpapse ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    Provide proof of your statement, "Obama proposed the exact same thing last year" from any site that isn't promoting either conspiracy theories or the selling of gold OR admit that you believe it is true, you just don't have the 'facts' at hand.
    Provide proof of any of the numerous provably false statements you've made so far, starting with your claim that gold is worthless, and ending with your claim that the government won't try to confiscate it again. My claim came from a warning that appeared on forex.com last year. Sorry I didn't screenshot it for you, but it's a useless strawman anyway as it's completely irrelevant to the point that was being made.
    If you hate capitalism so much, then just write everything in lower case. Problem solved.

  3. #143
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:10 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,774

    Re: When will the Dollar Collpapse ?

    Quote Originally Posted by HumanBeing View Post
    Provide proof of any of the numerous provably false statements you've made so far, starting with your claim that gold is worthless, and ending with your claim that the government won't try to confiscate it again. My claim came from a warning that appeared on forex.com last year. Sorry I didn't screenshot it for you, but it's a useless strawman anyway as it's completely irrelevant to the point that was being made.

    Hmmm, I never made those statements about the "worthlessness" of gold or that the government might try to confiscate your gold - other posters did.

    So the President has never proposed confiscating personal gold but lots of goldbug sites, those that profit from the gullibility of the poorly-educated, posted such claims - therefore it must be true.

    Your "banking regulations" also come from one of those sites and not from any federal government site. Please note at the originating site, that they do not provide the number or designation of the supposed regulations.
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  4. #144
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:10 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,774

    Re: When will the Dollar Collpapse ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrylek View Post
    It will not collapse in the foreseeable future, it will just keep dwindling.

    But with time - perhaps already by the time of the next meltdown- a devaluation may become increasingly tempting for policy makers, especially if "influential economists" keep presenting it as good way to climb out of crisis (Why Not The Worst? - NYTimes.com), even though the same economists used to claim exactly the opposite (http://18.7.29.232/bitstream/handle/...pdf?sequence=1
    I don't believe you have read Prof Krugman's earlier paper all the way through plus comparing a short post with an academic paper is kinda an apples and mangoes thing.
    In any case, it is not the purpose of this paper to give policy advice valid for all countries at all times. The important point is that devaluation may be deflationary, and one should be on the alert for that possibility.
    I assume you got your viewpoint and the Krugman paper link from Marginal Revolution
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  5. #145
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: When will the Dollar Collpapse ?

    We will continue to see rapid devaluation of the dollar (inflation) with the feds doing every juggling of the books to try to prove it is not. One only has to see the rapid increases in prices to realize this has been happening for some time and it is accelerating rapidly.

  6. #146
    Guru
    Cyrylek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,467

    Re: When will the Dollar Collpapse ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    I assume you got your viewpoint and the Krugman paper link from Marginal Revolution
    I don't get my viewpoints from any selected sites. Only information.

    The Krugman paper link I've got from my Estonian friends. There's a vendetta of sorts going on between their country and Krugman, over the virtues of austerity. The earlier paper (which I did read - it's not huge) has the distinction of being full of serious economic arguments - as opposed to political cheerleading the ex-economist does in the last decade or so.

    About Iceland having recovered mightily thanks to devaluation he wouldn't shut up for years now. The problem is, it's always short blog-style declarations, nothing more.
    Last edited by Cyrylek; 05-28-13 at 10:57 AM.

  7. #147
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    07-08-14 @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,325

    Re: When will the Dollar Collpapse ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    When you consider how many currencies are pegged to the USD, I should hope either "never" or "not for a looooooooong time".
    How about "I should hope the USD will actually get stronger over the coming years". Or is that being just a little too optimistic?

  8. #148
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: When will the Dollar Collpapse ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooble View Post
    How about "I should hope the USD will actually get stronger over the coming years". Or is that being just a little too optimistic?
    Nope, and I think it will become stronger - of course, I say this because it's been drastically weakened over the past 12 years or so. It's like the stock market - once it goes down enough, it has nowhere to go but up.

  9. #149
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: When will the Dollar Collpapse ?

    We are in a managed decline that is irreversible. 50 years of shutting down our industrial base in the name of goodness replacing those products with cheap foreign goods on IOUs is going to continue to take it's toll. Full time jobs replaced with part-time, increasing numbers of people by the tens of millions living on government money of rapidly decreasing value, and overall the rapid falling of the value of the dollar.

  10. #150
    Only Losers H8 Capitalism
    Spartacus FPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your echo chamber
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,885

    Re: When will the Dollar Collpapse ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    See that's the issue with this idea, preppers like to keep gold on hand because they think people will want trade things like ammo, food, water, etc for it. Problem is that the gold has no inherent function that is useful, and therefore its worthless. It would be no different than a dollar bill, except maybe you could wipe your ass with a dollar bill if you needed to.

    Do you not see the problem when you and everyone else has the same idea that they'll trade gold for things they'll need? That everyone will have gold and no one will want more of it.
    First of all, few have an real amount of gold. Second of all everyone has dollars now, that doesn't stop people trading with them.

    Finally, your false impression that gold has NO inherent function that is useful proves you ignorant. Manufacturers use it in circuits though silver is the better conductor because it doesn't rust, same reason NASA elected to make the record for Voyager out of gold. It also lines the McClaren engine bay because its such a good heat reflector... I could keep going but there is no need. Even one example renders the absolute claim that it has no inherent function false.
    Last edited by Spartacus FPV; 05-28-13 at 09:22 PM.
    Haymarket's "support" of the 2nd Amendment, a right he believes we never had.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    no. You cannot lose rights you do not have in the first place. There is no such thing as the right to have any weapon of your choice regardless of any other consideration. It simply does not exist.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •