View Poll Results: When will the US Dollar Collpase?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Under a year?

    4 7.84%
  • 2-10 years

    14 27.45%
  • 10-25 years

    4 7.84%
  • Not in our life time but eventually

    14 27.45%
  • Never

    15 29.41%
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 151

Thread: When will the Dollar Collapse ?

  1. #111
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,325

    Re: When will the Dollar Collpapse ?

    Right now the only thing keeping the dollar and our bonds relevant is the shape of other International economies relative to our own.

    As one economist said, we're the best looking horse in the glue factory.

    China's currency is so overvalued, they have to buy our debt and Japan's on their umpteenth round of stupid, " stimulus" in a attempt to crash their currency.

    It's a fantastic place, this world, after 5 years of Obama.....
    The New Democratic Party Slogan :

    " Return to Power By Any Means Necessary "

  2. #112
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denio Junction
    Last Seen
    11-13-14 @ 12:09 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,039
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: When will the Dollar Collpapse ?

    Well by the looks of it - at least 25 people are going to be caught with their pants down - or you could say 70% of America too.



    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Right now the only thing keeping the dollar and our bonds relevant is the shape of other International economies relative to our own.

    As one economist said, we're the best looking horse in the glue factory.

    China's currency is so overvalued, they have to buy our debt and Japan's on their umpteenth round of stupid, " stimulus" in a attempt to crash their currency.

    It's a fantastic place, this world, after 5 years of Obama.....

  3. #113
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: When will the Dollar Collpapse ?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    As compared to what? What would a personal computer have cost in 1913? What would a washer and dryer have cost in 1913? You're attempting to make comparisons that are non-existent...
    compare the power of your money,

    as of 2008 it took $21.57 to equal a 1913 dollar.

    today I believe the figure is $22.45,

  4. #114
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:28 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,843

    Re: When will the Dollar Collpapse ?

    Quote Originally Posted by yobarnacle View Post
    And do YOU think the US government would survive the collapse of the dollar?

    Let's speculate. Federal employees will continue to report to offices without a salary? Incredible!
    Rich politicians will love power more than money, so remain in Washington to face mobs of angry folks demanding their benefits? Incredible.
    Need I go on?
    (no smiley. Nothing FUNNY in this)
    Some bad logic being used here - first you cite the fact that Confederate money became worthless by 1866 following the collapse of the Confederate government but second, you ask "do YOU think the US government would survive the collapse of the dollar?" See the difference in what you are saying/asking?
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  5. #115
    Professor
    yobarnacle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    10-26-14 @ 11:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,495

    Re: When will the Dollar Collpapse ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    Some bad logic being used here - first you cite the fact that Confederate money became worthless by 1866 following the collapse of the Confederate government but second, you ask "do YOU think the US government would survive the collapse of the dollar?" See the difference in what you are saying/asking?
    First off, I was ANSWERING a question, when was the last time folks in USA refused to accept paper money.

    And I wasn't comparing the two events (US dollar collapse and Conferacy dollar collapse) or drawing parallels between USA and Conferacy.

    I WAS asking a legitimate question.

    Do you think the federal government would SURVIVE collapse of the dollar.

    If you believe it would, I'd ask by what mechanism.
    The feds engine is fueled by money. No gas, no GO!
    Last edited by yobarnacle; 05-27-13 at 11:12 PM.
    If you live long enough, you will live in a foreign country, because the past is foreign to the present. We lived differently then. The only constant is change!

  6. #116
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: When will the Dollar Collpapse ?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    you and I are not on the same track.

    what did i state in my opening?.................gold is not worthless.

    it never has and never will be..........so my statement goes to those who keep on trying to down play gold as nothing, and that it cant be used for protection if times of upheaval and unrest.

    it can, and those who have some, will be able to rest a little easier them those who don't.
    When has a country gone from paper currency back to using gold for purchases? You still haven't given me an example.

    I never said gold is worthless I said its grossly overvalued, iron is not worthless but if people started stockpiling it in preparation for the end of the dollar so they could trade things for it, thus driving up the cost, I'd say it was grossly overpriced too.

    Anyway, do you still not have an example of a time when a society reverted back to gold use after their currency fell apart? Keep looking, you will NOT find in throughout all of history.

  7. #117
    Professor
    yobarnacle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    10-26-14 @ 11:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,495

    Re: When will the Dollar Collpapse ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    When has a country gone from paper currency back to using gold for purchases? You still haven't given me an example.

    I never said gold is worthless I said its grossly overvalued, iron is not worthless but if people started stockpiling it in preparation for the end of the dollar so they could trade things for it, thus driving up the cost, I'd say it was grossly overpriced too.

    Anyway, do you still not have an example of a time when a society reverted back to gold use after their currency fell apart? Keep looking, you will NOT find in throughout all of history.
    How about in the last days of and after the Confederacy. Confederate dollars were worthless. Almost the ONLY acceptable medium of exchange was Mexican silver dollars. Yeah,yeah, silver isn't gold.

    But riddle me this?

    Why did seafarers upto about 100 years ago, wear at least one gold earing?


    I'll save you the mental anguish. It was to pay for a Christian burial whatever shore their corpse washed upon.
    If you live long enough, you will live in a foreign country, because the past is foreign to the present. We lived differently then. The only constant is change!

  8. #118
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: When will the Dollar Collpapse ?

    Quote Originally Posted by yobarnacle View Post
    How about in the last days of and after the Confederacy. Confederate dollars were worthless. Almost the ONLY acceptable medium of exchange was Mexican silver dollars. Yeah,yeah, silver isn't gold.

    But riddle me this?

    Why did seafarers upto about 100 years ago, wear at least one gold earing?


    I'll save you the mental anguish. It was to pay for a Christian burial whatever shore their corpse washed upon.
    That's not a bad example, but I think it also had to do with the fact that the peso was a stable currency at the time and because it was the currency of another nation the silver in the coinage was already divided for use as a currency which made things a lot easier. For example instead of having to use some scales to weigh pure silver to determine its weight and therefore value, they already had denominations stamped onto them.

    What I think its far more likely if the US dollar were to lose all its value is that the people will find some other currency to use instead, perhaps the Canadian dollar or Mexican peso, or even the Pound Sterling or Euro. That is what history shows us happens when a society loses all faith in its currency, they adopt the currency of a nearby country or of a country who's currency can't be questioned. Of course who's to say exactly what would happen to the world economy if the dollar loses all value and to other world currencies.

    As for seafarers, they have lots of traditions, some silly and some not so silly. But again I've never said gold does not have value, only that its grossly overvalued.

  9. #119
    Educator HumanBeing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    745

    Re: When will the Dollar Collpapse ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    Anyway, do you still not have an example of a time when a society reverted back to gold use after their currency fell apart?
    You keep asking this as if you don't see that it proves the opposite of your point. I gave you an example of a time when people gradually tried to switch from fiat to gold. They were forcibly prevented from doing so by their government, and imprisoned if they failed to hand over their gold. Fiat currency survived in that case by banning gold. It wasn't even the first time, it was just the most recent example.
    If you hate capitalism so much, then just write everything in lower case. Problem solved.

  10. #120
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: When will the Dollar Collpapse ?

    Quote Originally Posted by HumanBeing View Post
    You keep asking this as if you don't see that it proves the opposite of your point. I gave you an example of a time when people gradually tried to switch from fiat to gold. They were forcibly prevented from doing so by their government, and imprisoned if they failed to hand over their gold. Fiat currency survived in that case by banning gold. It wasn't even the first time, it was just the most recent example.
    In the 1930s we were still on the gold standard, which is why the government had to seize that gold since without it they couldn't back their currency. That is not fiat currency, that is the gold standard. Fiat currency is when the currency itself has no value as a phsyical thing and is not redeemable for something like gold, it has value because the government passed a law that says it has value.

    If we had not been on the gold standard the government would not have had any area to seize that gold since the value of its currency would not have been dependant on its own gold supply.

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •