View Poll Results: When will the US Dollar Collpase?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Under a year?

    4 7.84%
  • 2-10 years

    14 27.45%
  • 10-25 years

    4 7.84%
  • Not in our life time but eventually

    14 27.45%
  • Never

    15 29.41%
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 151

Thread: When will the Dollar Collapse ?

  1. #91
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: When will the Dollar Collpapse ?

    Commerce in PMs isn't practical. Fiat currency is flexible enough to engage everyone in the world. There is only so much PMs and the world needs far more money than that to continue ur never ceasing expansion of humans breeding and conspicuos consumption.

    Still, PMs are sort of a frame of reference and in event of societal disorder, very likely to become the currency of choice. Particularly "junk silver".

    Nobody is "forced" to use Fiat currency. It's simply a practical custom.



    Quote Originally Posted by HumanBeing View Post
    You seem to have the whole thing backwards. Your paper is an article of faith, almost literally. People haven't been allowed to refuse paper. They have tried switching to precious metals, and the government confiscated it and replaced it with paper again. That is why it has its value. Using the fact that they have always accepted it as proof of your point just shows you don't even understand what the point actually is.


    Gold has more intrinsic value in the long term simply because it is a finite resource. I fully agree that in a total economic collapse it would be one of the least useful precious metals out there, but it would still hold value better than paper.

    And I'd still appreciate an answer from either of you to the question: If people are so into fiat currency, why do people have to be forced to use it for everything? Look throughout history, right from the start the value of fiat currency was created by demanding that it be used to pay taxes. That meant sales people had no choice but to accept it. Then when people started noticing inflation (which is a product of fraudulent economies) and they switched back to metals, they had it all confiscated. This has been repeated over and over and over since the 10th century, yet for some reason you refuse to see what it means.

  2. #92
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: When will the Dollar Collpapse ?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    I am making the point, that some act as though gold, will have no value, and there is no reason to hold it.

    gold holds a value, which can always be bartered over.

    when paper currency fails, people will turn back to things which are intrinsic in value, and gold is one of them.

    it is currently those who hold a leftist perspective that believe gold is nothing............they are wrong.
    Show me when that has happened before.

    I got a sneaking feeling I'm going to be asking for an example for a while.

    Gold is not nothing, but its also not what people make it out to be.

  3. #93
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: When will the Dollar Collpapse ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    Show me when that has happened before.

    I got a sneaking feeling I'm going to be asking for an example for a while.

    Gold is not nothing, but its also not what people make it out to be.
    has not great civilizations risen and fallen, Egypt, Greece Rome, and every other one.

    yet, when they met there end, gold continues on to be used by those who where part of those civilizations.

    America is going to end to, when that day comes no one knows, but gold will have a value as it did before America came into being.

    so those who preach gold is nothing... are wrong, because it will have its place long after you and I are gone from this world.

    those who save ammo, food, water, things to barter, this a good, but it is also good to have something that is universal, and gold ,sliver, diamonds, and pearls, as other metals hold that spot.

  4. #94
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: When will the Dollar Collpapse ?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    has not great civilizations risen and fallen, Egypt, Greece Rome, and every other one.

    yet, when they met there end, gold continues on to be used by those who where part of those civilizations.

    America is going to end to, when that day comes no one knows, but gold will have a value as it did before America came into being.

    so those who preach gold is nothing... are wrong, because it will have its place long after you and I are gone from this world.

    those who save ammo, food, water, things to barter, this a good, but it is also good to have something that is universal, and gold ,sliver, diamonds, and pearls, as other metals hold that spot.
    Lets keep it to modern history, I know that gold continued to be a currency when Rome fell but it was also a currency before hand. Can you name an example of a modern state where gold was no longer because used for currency, but then we readopted after paper money fell out of favor?

  5. #95
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: When will the Dollar Collpapse ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    Lets keep it to modern history, I know that gold continued to be a currency when Rome fell but it was also a currency before hand. Can you name an example of a modern state where gold was no longer because used for currency, but then we readopted after paper money fell out of favor?
    you and I are not on the same track.

    what did i state in my opening?.................gold is not worthless.

    it never has and never will be..........so my statement goes to those who keep on trying to down play gold as nothing, and that it cant be used for protection if times of upheaval and unrest.

    it can, and those who have some, will be able to rest a little easier them those who don't.

  6. #96
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: When will the Dollar Collpapse ?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    you and I are not on the same track.

    what did i state in my opening?.................gold is not worthless.

    it never has and never will be..........so my statement goes to those who keep on trying to down play gold as nothing, and that it cant be used for protection if times of upheaval and unrest.

    it can, and those who have some, will be able to rest a little easier them those who don't.
    In the unlikely event of a nuclear war, what good do you think possessing gold will do for the average person? A rock is a rock is a rock...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  7. #97
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,773

    Re: When will the Dollar Collpapse ?

    Interesting question...

    As a precious metal, gold does have a lasting value. Problem is it's not easily exchangeable and not enough consumers have it to exchange for common, every day goods and services. It's great as an asset in your financial portfolio, but not a lot of people walk around with gold coins in their pockets. (Sarcasm)

    In one way, Pres. Nixon was smart to peg the U.S. $1 to a common global commodity - oil. The problem, however, is that the price of oil can be easily manipulated IF one country or a few combine to work against another country's economic interest. No more perfect example in modern history can be found than what Iran attempted to do which was to convince OPEC counties like Iraq not to buy oil using the U.S. $1 which as most people know was a leading cause for America going to war w/Iraq - to secure oil reserves. (Not that getting rid of Saddam or securing WMD weren't important, but those reasons were a "mask" pulled over the eyes of many...a secondary reason to fight.)

    My point is you really don't want gold as the standard of the world's reserve currency. It's just not something the common man can utilize on a daily basis.

  8. #98
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: When will the Dollar Collpapse ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    Interesting question...

    As a precious metal, gold does have a lasting value. Problem is it's not easily exchangeable and not enough consumers have it to exchange for common, every day goods and services. It's great as an asset in your financial portfolio, but not a lot of people walk around with gold coins in their pockets. (Sarcasm)

    In one way, Pres. Nixon was smart to peg the U.S. $1 to a common global commodity - oil. The problem, however, is that the price of oil can be easily manipulated IF one country or a few combine to work against another country's economic interest. No more perfect example in modern history can be found than what Iran attempted to do which was to convince OPEC counties like Iraq not to buy oil using the U.S. $1 which as most people know was a leading cause for America going to war w/Iraq - to secure oil reserves. (Not that getting rid of Saddam or securing WMD weren't important, but those reasons were a "mask" pulled over the eyes of many...a secondary reason to fight.)

    My point is you really don't want gold as the standard of the world's reserve currency. It's just not something the common man can utilize on a daily basis.
    At what point did Nixon peg the dollar to oil prices? Nixon simply decoupled the dollar's value from gold, nothing more...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  9. #99
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: When will the Dollar Collpapse ?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    In the unlikely event of a nuclear war, what good do you think possessing gold will do for the average person? A rock is a rock is a rock...
    will that war, end our earth?

    if it does the point is moot about gold, however if not a new civilization will come forth from it and gold will continue as it always has.

    gold is not going away.

    again those that act as though gold is nothing and should have no bearing on what's going to happen in the future I see as wrong.

  10. #100
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,773

    Re: When will the Dollar Collpapse ?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    At what point did Nixon peg the dollar to oil prices? Nixon simply decoupled the dollar's value from gold, nothing more...
    You may want to do a little more research on this topic. My reference source: "Bad Money," by Kevin Phillips

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •