View Poll Results: Should employers be allowed to pay tipped employees less than minimum wage?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    28 40.58%
  • No

    41 59.42%
  • Don't know

    0 0%
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 163

Thread: Should employers be allowed to pay tipped employees less than minimum wage?

  1. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Should employers be allowed to pay tipped employees less than minimum wage?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Or perhaps advertising maple syrup.
    I'm Mrs. Butterworths?

  2. #42
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Should employers be allowed to pay tipped employees less than minimum wage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    I'm Mrs. Butterworths?
    A sap. JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Should employers be allowed to pay tipped employees less than minimum wage?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    A sap. JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!
    You can see why I may not make that connection.

    I just think it's an excuse for you to flirt with me...not that I can't blame you.

  4. #44
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,597
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should employers be allowed to pay tipped employees less than minimum wage?

    My position is pay servers a living wage, charge what the food is worth, and forget tips.

    As for "motivation for good service", I'm one of those "is having a job motivation enough for good service, or would you rather be fired" folks. Do your job, do it well, and get paid according, or gtfo.

  5. #45
    defected to kekistan
    beerftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    kekistan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    13,375

    Re: Should employers be allowed to pay tipped employees less than minimum wage?

    well im not sure about other states,but texas allows employers to pay less than minimum wage to those who can collect tips.

    i dont feel sad for them,i knew a pizza delivery guy who made over 1000 a week off of tips,most waitresses here in texas make more off tips than i do working a skilled trade.

    in any business except those that take from tips,anyone making tips would make better money just off tips than working an 18 dollar an hour job.plus tips are taxed much different than standard income,making it even more apealing,i see no reason to have to pay them full minimum wage.
    “[The metric system is the tool of the Devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead, and that’s the way I likes it!” – Abe “Grampa” Simpson”

  6. #46
    Educator HumanBeing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    745

    Re: Should employers be allowed to pay tipped employees less than minimum wage?

    Minimum wage is just another example of counter productive government interference and prevention of free market economics.

    Do you not care that because I'm forced to pay you more than your natural market worth I end up hiring less people overall? Do you not care that due to being forced to overpay one group of people, another group will be left completely unemployed for the foreseeable future?

    Edgar the Exploiter - YouTube
    If you hate capitalism so much, then just write everything in lower case. Problem solved.

  7. #47
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Should employers be allowed to pay tipped employees less than minimum wage?

    Quote Originally Posted by HumanBeing View Post
    Minimum wage is just another example of counter productive government interference and prevention of free market economics.

    Do you not care that because I'm forced to pay you more than your natural market worth I end up hiring less people overall? Do you not care that due to being forced to overpay one group of people, another group will be left completely unemployed for the foreseeable future?

    Edgar the Exploiter - YouTube
    Your comments presume that employers would hire 5 people if they only need 3 simply if wages are less. I call BS. If an employer only needs 3, they'll only hire 3.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #48
    Educator HumanBeing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    745

    Re: Should employers be allowed to pay tipped employees less than minimum wage?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Your comments presume that employers would hire 5 people if they only need 3 simply if wages are less. I call BS. If an employer only needs 3, they'll only hire 3.
    No, my comment implies that I might need 5, and there might be 5 people willing to work for what I'd like to offer, but instead I'll only hire 3. Watch the video, it explains the concept clearly.

    Or, to put it another way: Minimum wages create an artificial economy where wages aren't tied to worker productivity in any way. In the long term, that can only cause harm.
    If you hate capitalism so much, then just write everything in lower case. Problem solved.

  9. #49
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    16,451
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should employers be allowed to pay tipped employees less than minimum wage?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Yes, they should be allowed to pay less than minimum wage in tip jobs. Anyone who's ever stayed at a resort where tips are included? Or where they add 15% onto the checks for dinner? Knows that tips are the only things that motivate excellent service.
    Personally, when I tip it's a kind of thank-you for good service, between me and the server. I don't want to subsidize the owner so he can pay his people less. If I knew that was happening I'd stop tipping and if everyone did the place would eventually not be able to get servers.

  10. #50
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    12-11-17 @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,763

    Re: Should employers be allowed to pay tipped employees less than minimum wage?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Servers always complain about the inequity in tipping. Some customers tip well, some tip crap, but it all evens out. They complain about the crappy tippers, of course.

    However ask a server if they would forgo tips for a higher wage, and virtually every one I have ever asked this question says, "Not no, but hell no." They know that, in spite of their complaints, they do better when their tips are averaged into hourly averages than they would if they got only a straight hourly wage... even if the hourly wage were significantly above minimum wage.
    The majority of waiters/waitresses I know may complain about their hourly salary, but in most cases they rely on the money they get from tips than their normal pay. Why? Because although they are suppose to report their tips not only to their boss but on their taxes, few do. And that means more "unreported income" for them.

    Now, the flip side to this argument is if the waiter/waitress doesn't bring home enough in tips to make ends meet their normal pay usually isn't enough to make up the difference. So, it's a catch-22...damned if they complain too loudly, damned if they keep their mouth shut and don't make enough in tips to cover their expenditures. To put it mildly, most folks who work for tips would rather get paid that way than on a typical average wage because depending on how things go (i.e., holiday, special occasion, major sporting event, etc.) they stand to make more money in a few days than some folks make in a week at or even above minimum wage.

    I guess when it really comes down to it, if you're good at what you do in whatever industry you do it in be it restaurant, night club, cabby, barber or even shoeshine boy, the tips should role in. And if you're able to keep most of it all to yourself, you make out like a bandit...literally. To sum it up, I'd say tips are "extra" income for "a job well-done". So, my answer would be "NO". An honest day's work for an honest day's pay. But when you're being paid for less than your worth, the customer's make up the difference which really shouldn't be a "difference maker" in pay at all. It's earnings- an added bonus as it were - for good customer service.

    Note: I mistakenly voted "Yes" when I meant "No".
    Last edited by Objective Voice; 05-27-13 at 01:56 AM.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •