View Poll Results: Should employers be allowed to pay tipped employees less than minimum wage?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    28 40.58%
  • No

    41 59.42%
  • Don't know

    0 0%
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 163

Thread: Should employers be allowed to pay tipped employees less than minimum wage?

  1. #11
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Should employers be allowed to pay tipped employees less than minimum wage?

    minimum wage unconstitutional.

  2. #12
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,400

    Re: Should employers be allowed to pay tipped employees less than minimum wage?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Yes, they should be allowed to pay less than minimum wage in tip jobs. Anyone who's ever stayed at a resort where tips are included? Or where they add 15% onto the checks for dinner? Knows that tips are the only things that motivate excellent service.
    Service in the US is sooo much better because of the tipping system. Service in Europe is like "here's your crap, stfu and have a nice day".

  3. #13
    Professor
    Mathematician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,147

    Re: Should employers be allowed to pay tipped employees less than minimum wage?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Don't even get me started on tip jars. I have seen them at drive-thru windows.
    At a bar I used to frequent, on the weekends they'd put an employee on a stool in the men's room to hand you a paper towel. Sitting next to him was a pile of cheap peppermints and a tip jar.
    "With me everything turns into mathematics."
    "It is not enough to have a good mind. The main thing is to use it well."
    "It is truth very certain that, when it is not in one's power to determine what is true, we ought to follow what is more probable." -- Rene Descartes

  4. #14
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Should employers be allowed to pay tipped employees less than minimum wage?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    minimum wage unconstitutional.
    1) Do something about it.

    2) So not relevant to this thread.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #15
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,190

    Re: Should employers be allowed to pay tipped employees less than minimum wage?

    I'd make two observations here:

    1. I think it's almost criminal for businesses where tips are traditional for the business to pool tips and divy them up amongst all the staff, not just those who "serve" and in some cases the owner actually takes a cut.

    2. I personally make a habit of tipping 20% and subtract from that based on the quality of service provided. If there is a mandatory percentage tip added on to the bill, I find out before I order, and I leave the restaurant and inform the host/owner of the reason why I'm leaving. Only government is legally able to "tax" my income and discretionary spending.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  6. #16
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,190

    Re: Should employers be allowed to pay tipped employees less than minimum wage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician View Post
    At a bar I used to frequent, on the weekends they'd put an employee on a stool in the men's room to hand you a paper towel. Sitting next to him was a pile of cheap peppermints and a tip jar.
    The last place I'd pick up a communal offering of peppermints is the place where tiny particles of flushed excrement floats around the room.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  7. #17
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Should employers be allowed to pay tipped employees less than minimum wage?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    1) Do something about it.

    2) So not relevant to this thread.

    well actually it is, becuase if you proposing that people can be paid less than the minimum wage, that means you have to go to the federal government.

    so if this unconstitutional law was not in placed, employers would pay whatever the two parties agree on.

  8. #18
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Should employers be allowed to pay tipped employees less than minimum wage?

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    I'd make two observations here:

    1. I think it's almost criminal for businesses where tips are traditional for the business to pool tips and divy them up amongst all the staff, not just those who "serve" and in some cases the owner actually takes a cut.

    2. I personally make a habit of tipping 20% and subtract from that based on the quality of service provided. If there is a mandatory percentage tip added on to the bill, I find out before I order, and I leave the restaurant and inform the host/owner of the reason why I'm leaving. Only government is legally able to "tax" my income and discretionary spending.
    I don't like when places pool tips, either. But, that's their business, so I won't make a decision based on that.

    I've only experienced "mandatory" tips when part of a large group. Being part of said large group, I won't rock the boat, but as a matter of principle, and my own little Don Quixote-like crusade, I will tip ONLY what the minimum is and not a single penny more. Service might have been fantastic. Sorry, you demanded 'X' (which completely nullifies the purposes of a gratuity, IMO), you got 'X'.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #19
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Should employers be allowed to pay tipped employees less than minimum wage?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    well actually it is, becuase if you proposing that people can be paid less than the minimum wage, that means you have to go to the federal government.

    so if this unconstitutional law was not in placed, employers would pay whatever the two parties agree on.
    Are you even capable of thinking outside the Constitutional box for the purposes of discussion?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Should employers be allowed to pay tipped employees less than minimum wage?

    No, but you have to keep in mind that if the compensation a "tip position" receives over a periodic time does not equal to what they would receive as minimum wage, the employer has to reimburse the difference - therefore, they're not allowed to pay them below minimum wage.

    If a waitress works the graveyard shift at a Waffle House that's off the beaten path, her tips have to make up the difference. Say the minimum wage for that state is 8 dollars an hour. She's paid 4 plus tips. If at the end of the week she works 40 hours, she makes less than 320 dollars (8 x 40), her employer is responsible. Say she made 100 bucks in tips for the week. Her base wage is 160 (4 x 40). Her tips are 100. Her employer has to pay her an additional 60 dollars for that work week (320 - (160 + 100)).

    Therefore, no worries. Waitresses aren't getting paid an illegal amount.

    It's not that I'd be against it. Some waitresses make ungodly amounts of money. Next to teachers, I consider waitressing to be the most overpaid vocation out there.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •