View Poll Results: Is it a good thing or a bad thing to be oblivious to the very real stereotypes which

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good

    3 9.68%
  • Bad

    16 51.61%
  • Other

    12 38.71%
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 115

Thread: Is it a good thing to be oblivious of racial stereotypes?

  1. #31
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is it a good thing to be oblivious of racial stereotypes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    It is not "partisan nonsense".
    Saying "Ask your president" instead fo answering teh quiestion is pure, unadulterated partisan nonsense.

    Obama was offended by something he thought was racial that made no sense to me.
    It wasn't a common stereotype (it's not even a stereotype at all, let alone a common one) which is used today, though, so what does it have to do with this thread?
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  2. #32
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Is it a good thing to be oblivious of racial stereotypes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    I was reading through this thread: http://www.debatepolitics.com/off-to...-intended.html and it occurred to me that many people are actually oblivious to some racial stereotypes which exist in this country and are often used to disparage others.

    I was then curious as to whether or not people feel that being oblivious to these racial stereotypes is a good thing or a bad thing.

    On one hand, a person who is truly oblivious to such stereotypes has probably not directly exposed to much racism in their lives. Which is good. On the other hand, they might be oblivious to the racism because they have not have been exposed to it because they have not had much exposure to people who belong to the stereotyped groups, which is a bad thing.

    There's also the possibility that they aren't really oblivious to the stereotypes, but are simply doing the poor victimized white person routine to pretend that the poor victimized white person cannot say anything anymore without being accused of racism".

    I'm leaning toward the idea that the obliviousness is feigned, because it is mind-boggling to me that someone can live and interact with other people in our society without ever being exposed to the most common racial stereotypes that exist in our society. I'd be just as shocked if a black person said "Wait, white people being bad dancers is a racial stereotype?!?!?!?!" Unless someone is living under a rock, in a cave, hidden beneath the unabombers shack, I would assume they've encountered some of the most common stereotypes that exist in our society.

    Examples: White people can't dance, black people eat fried chicken, asian women can't drive, Italian men are mama's boys, Irish people drink, Polish people are stupid, WASPS have old money, Mexicans mow lawns etc. etc.

    So the poll question is: Is it a good thing or a bad thing to be oblivious to the very real stereotypes which exist in the world?
    I think being intentionally oblivious and the demonizing anyone who notices racial problem as being the racist for noticing it is a type of political correctness I see mostly in conservative ranks. I agree that there are racial stereotypes and are benign and even funny. Others are harmful.

    All black people can:

    -play basketball well
    -dance really good
    -vacuum down fried chicken
    -love water melon
    -are well endowed
    -are obsessed with being with white women

    Those are all pretty much harmless and funny.

    The dangerous ones are:

    -Black people are lazy.
    -Black people are less intelligent than other people.
    -Black people are prone to crime.
    -Black people who have achieved success got there due to an unfair advantage they were given because they're black. They don't deserve it because they didn't earn it.

    These are dangerous if the person holding these stereotypes happens to be serving on a jury in an important criminal case where an innocent black person is the defendant. Its also dangerous if the person holding these stereotypes happens to be a personnel director or person making hiring, promotions and compensation decisions and black applicants are being considered. Every time we look around another black guy is being released from prison after serving a decade of two because he was falsely accused of a crime and new DNA evidence exonerated him or some other new facts came to light. Its a statistical fact that black men are handed harsher sentences than any other group for the same types of crime. I don't think anybody honest would doubt if you take the same exact circumstances of the Jodi Arias case except Jodi Arias was a black man who killed his girlfriend, the jury would have sent his butt to death row immediately. Upper management positions filled by blacks, especially black men are less common per capita than other groups and typically the black guy had to be off the charts more qualified to such an extent he couldn't be overlooked.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  3. #33
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is it a good thing to be oblivious of racial stereotypes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    All black people can:

    -play basketball well
    -dance really good
    -vacuum down fried chicken
    -love water melon
    -are well endowed
    -are obsessed with being with white women

    Those are all pretty much harmless and funny.
    I don't know if all of those are "harmless", especially the one about being "obsessed with being with white women". I think that one relates to some really bad **** that got people killed in the past and it inspires some serious hatred from certain racist white men.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  4. #34
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,346

    Re: Is it a good thing to be oblivious of racial stereotypes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    I mow my lawn every week, but I don't have trouble with comprehending the "Mexicans mow lawns" stereotype.
    I guess if you are going to throw in a Nationality into the stereotype, then I can see how it would be offense. Saying that you are as tired as someone who mows lawns is hard to see as offensive to anyone. If you are Mexican and see it as offensive, I would like to understand your point of view.

  5. #35
    Guru
    Verthaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    09-08-16 @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,044

    Re: Is it a good thing to be oblivious of racial stereotypes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    I don't know if all of those are "harmless", especially the one about being "obsessed with being with white women". I think that one relates to some really bad **** that got people killed in the past and it inspires some serious hatred from certain racist white men.
    You should see the hatred I get from racist black women for being married to a white woman.

  6. #36
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,872

    Re: Is it a good thing to be oblivious of racial stereotypes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    I was reading through this thread: http://www.debatepolitics.com/off-to...-intended.html and it occurred to me that many people are actually oblivious to some racial stereotypes which exist in this country and are often used to disparage others.

    I was then curious as to whether or not people feel that being oblivious to these racial stereotypes is a good thing or a bad thing.

    On one hand, a person who is truly oblivious to such stereotypes has probably not directly exposed to much racism in their lives. Which is good. On the other hand, they might be oblivious to the racism because they have not have been exposed to it because they have not had much exposure to people who belong to the stereotyped groups, which is a bad thing.

    There's also the possibility that they aren't really oblivious to the stereotypes, but are simply doing the poor victimized white person routine to pretend that the poor victimized white person cannot say anything anymore without being accused of racism".

    I'm leaning toward the idea that the obliviousness is feigned, because it is mind-boggling to me that someone can live and interact with other people in our society without ever being exposed to the most common racial stereotypes that exist in our society. I'd be just as shocked if a black person said "Wait, white people being bad dancers is a racial stereotype?!?!?!?!" Unless someone is living under a rock, in a cave, hidden beneath the unabombers shack, I would assume they've encountered some of the most common stereotypes that exist in our society.

    Examples: White people can't dance, black people eat fried chicken, asian women can't drive, Italian men are mama's boys, Irish people drink, Polish people are stupid, WASPS have old money, Mexicans mow lawns etc. etc.

    So the poll question is: Is it a good thing or a bad thing to be oblivious to the very real stereotypes which exist in the world?
    I'm glad you asked this question because I was blessed to have grown up not being exposed to these stereotypes until I was well into my teens...and by then, it didn't make any difference. I was just always around folks of different faiths and cultures and races, and I thought this was normal. Still do.

  7. #37
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is it a good thing to be oblivious of racial stereotypes?

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    I guess if you are going to throw in a Nationality into the stereotype, then I can see how it would be offense.
    Why is it easier for you to see it when it's a stereotype of a nationality than a race?

    Saying that you are as tired as someone who mows lawns is hard to see as offensive to anyone.
    Put who in the what now?
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  8. #38
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is it a good thing to be oblivious of racial stereotypes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Verthaine View Post
    You should see the hatred I get from racist black women for being married to a white woman.
    I've witnessed that kind of hatred before. Good point.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  9. #39
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is it a good thing to be oblivious of racial stereotypes?

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    I'm glad you asked this question because I was blessed to have grown up not being exposed to these stereotypes until I was well into my teens...and by then, it didn't make any difference. I was just always around folks of different faiths and cultures and races, and I thought this was normal. Still do.
    So if I have this right, by the time you reached adulthood you had been exposed to most of them at some point, even though you grew up in an accepting, culturally diverse environment where such stereotypes weren't present (which is what an ideal world would look like).
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  10. #40
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,177

    Re: Is it a good thing to be oblivious of racial stereotypes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    I was reading through this thread: http://www.debatepolitics.com/off-to...-intended.html and it occurred to me that many people are actually oblivious to some racial stereotypes which exist in this country and are often used to disparage others.

    I was then curious as to whether or not people feel that being oblivious to these racial stereotypes is a good thing or a bad thing.

    On one hand, a person who is truly oblivious to such stereotypes has probably not directly exposed to much racism in their lives. Which is good. On the other hand, they might be oblivious to the racism because they have not have been exposed to it because they have not had much exposure to people who belong to the stereotyped groups, which is a bad thing.

    There's also the possibility that they aren't really oblivious to the stereotypes, but are simply doing the poor victimized white person routine to pretend that the poor victimized white person cannot say anything anymore without being accused of racism".

    I'm leaning toward the idea that the obliviousness is feigned, because it is mind-boggling to me that someone can live and interact with other people in our society without ever being exposed to the most common racial stereotypes that exist in our society. I'd be just as shocked if a black person said "Wait, white people being bad dancers is a racial stereotype?!?!?!?!" Unless someone is living under a rock, in a cave, hidden beneath the unabombers shack, I would assume they've encountered some of the most common stereotypes that exist in our society.

    Examples: White people can't dance, black people eat fried chicken, asian women can't drive, Italian men are mama's boys, Irish people drink, Polish people are stupid, WASPS have old money, Mexicans mow lawns etc. etc.

    So the poll question is: Is it a good thing or a bad thing to be oblivious to the very real stereotypes which exist in the world?
    I would agree that people of a certain age, who haven't been living in a cave, have heard of or are aware of the use of language and common phrases that have racist undertones. I would argue, however, that unless there is a desire to perpetuate them, it is a very good thing that your children, and young people in general, remain oblivious to them. Young people can teach us lots in the way to behave towards "others", such as their general acceptance of gay people. There's no need to poison them with our generation's bigotry.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •