View Poll Results: Should We open the borders?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    10 12.82%
  • No

    68 87.18%
Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 318

Thread: Should we open the borders?

  1. #281
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Should we open the borders?

    I say we open the borders and open our houses ,take down no trespassing signs on your land, no more locked doors and windows and leave the keys in your car too. Why should anyone have the right to declare boundaries or property rights.

  2. #282
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Should we open the borders?

    Quote Originally Posted by Indeed View Post
    If they brought millions of dollars worth of drugs and killed hundreds or even thousands of people to protect their illegal enterprise, we still wouldn't want them here. And many illegal aliens are near impossible to communicate with without a translator. If they did speak English, it would be nice, but it wouldn't fix the other problems. While it's true that most illegal aliens are poor folks in search of work, they bring with them murderers and drug lords. Opening the boarders wouldn't fix that problem, but enforcing already existing laws on illegals would help.

    And it's not about racism. Honestly I wouldn't have much of a problem with illegals coming over and taking jobs from the people here by offering to work for less than they would if it weren't for the fact that nearly a quarter of them are fleeing from the law to begin with. That was how the free market was supposed to work; if you won't offer to work for cheaper than the competition's price, you can look for work elsewhere. But no, it's not because their brown, it's because they carry a crime wave with them and it's very hard to trace them because the U.S. government doesn't know they exist.
    That's like saying all Italians are in the mob, so we shouldn't have let in any Italian immigrants. The net benefit of immigrants is greater than the net cost.

  3. #283
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should we open the borders?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    That's like saying all Italians are in the mob, so we shouldn't have let in any Italian immigrants. The net benefit of immigrants is greater than the net cost.
    Dude, your idea has been thrashed and trashed. Just admit that it's a dumb idea. Open borders is retarded.

  4. #284
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Should we open the borders?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Dude, your idea has been thrashed and trashed. Just admit that it's a dumb idea. Open borders is retarded.
    My idea hasn't even been debated.

    The only thing that's been "thrashed and trashed" is a straw man argument people keep attributing to me because they only read the headline, "Should we open the borders," and didn't read the text of the OP.

    It just shows how lazy people are. Eye-opening and highly amusing.

  5. #285
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should we open the borders?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    We should abandon our silly and futile notion of trying to "seal the borders" and just "let the markets work," so to speak.

    I think there should be two conditions that, if satisfied, should allow anyone and everyone to enter or exit the United States at will. First, do they have a job? If yes, then they are productive, and they should be allowed to stay. If not, is there someone willing to claim them as a dependent? Is there someone willing to feed, clothe, school them? If so, there is no reason to keep them out of the country. The second condition is that they don't have a criminal record.

    Why not seal the border? Well, for one, futility. No matter what we do, people find ways to enter the country. So really, we're kicking and screaming, we're pouring countless resources in to fight a "problem" that is probably never going to be resolved.

    Second, aside from pure xenophobia and/or racism, I haven't heard a good argument yet for why we should try to stem the tide of immigrants in to this vast country of ours. You have to admit, that's part of the equation. Nobody would complain if a bunch of blond hair, blue eyed, English speaking Canadians were crossing the border en masse. So I think we need to be mature and ask ourselves if xenophobia is really a good enough reason to literally build a fence between ourselves and our neighbors.

    No. Population migrations are a natural phenomenon. It's been going on forever. Massive governments and their laws and walls are artificial phenomenon. Nature will find a way.
    Obviously you haven't thought this through. What about medical examinations? You know there are diseases here in the United States that we have eradicated with the use of vaccination to the point that we no longer have to vaccinate for such disease, such as tuberculosis. Tuberculosis is a common disease in third world countries where vaccinations are not given. Tuberculosis is a highly contagious and deadly disease which can spread like wildfire.

    That's just one. I will have others later on.

  6. #286
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,143

    Re: Should we open the borders?

    What some might over-look here is that these illegals work harder and longer with less pay for a reason.

    They're slaves to the fear of being caught.

    Fact is, here in Texas, most make damn good money while the native gets shut out.

  7. #287
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should we open the borders?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    We should abandon our silly and futile notion of trying to "seal the borders" and just "let the markets work," so to speak.

    I think there should be two conditions that, if satisfied, should allow anyone and everyone to enter or exit the United States at will. First, do they have a job? If yes, then they are productive, and they should be allowed to stay. If not, is there someone willing to claim them as a dependent? Is there someone willing to feed, clothe, school them? If so, there is no reason to keep them out of the country. The second condition is that they don't have a criminal record.

    Why not seal the border? Well, for one, futility. No matter what we do, people find ways to enter the country. So really, we're kicking and screaming, we're pouring countless resources in to fight a "problem" that is probably never going to be resolved.

    Second, aside from pure xenophobia and/or racism, I haven't heard a good argument yet for why we should try to stem the tide of immigrants in to this vast country of ours. You have to admit, that's part of the equation. Nobody would complain if a bunch of blond hair, blue eyed, English speaking Canadians were crossing the border en masse. So I think we need to be mature and ask ourselves if xenophobia is really a good enough reason to literally build a fence between ourselves and our neighbors.

    No. Population migrations are a natural phenomenon. It's been going on forever. Massive governments and their laws and walls are artificial phenomenon. Nature will find a way.
    Another point. How would you track criminals? As it is now, because of illegal immigrants are undocumented, it is EXTREMELY difficult when they commit a crime to track them, as they usually return to their home country where we have no jurisdiction.

    Here are some examples of this nonsense.

    Crime victims of illegal aliens

  8. #288
    Student Indeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    down the street
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 12:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    241

    Re: Should we open the borders?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    That's like saying all Italians are in the mob, so we shouldn't have let in any Italian immigrants. The net benefit of immigrants is greater than the net cost.
    No, we should get rid of the illegal Italian immigrants.
    "You are the result of 4 billion years of evolutionary success, F***ing act like it!"
    -anonymous

  9. #289
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Should we open the borders?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Obviously you haven't thought this through. What about medical examinations? You know there are diseases here in the United States that we have eradicated with the use of vaccination to the point that we no longer have to vaccinate for such disease, such as tuberculosis. Tuberculosis is a common disease in third world countries where vaccinations are not given. Tuberculosis is a highly contagious and deadly disease which can spread like wildfire.

    That's just one. I will have others later on.
    So we shouldn't interact with Mexicans because they're diseased? This is rich.

    Why don't we ban people from going on vacation then? Can't have folks coming home with some crazy virus, can we?

  10. #290
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Should we open the borders?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Another point. How would you track criminals? As it is now, because of illegal immigrants are undocumented, it is EXTREMELY difficult when they commit a crime to track them, as they usually return to their home country where we have no jurisdiction.

    Here are some examples of this nonsense.

    Crime victims of illegal aliens
    I'm talking about opening up legal immigration. The assumption is that the legal immigrants would be documented just like any American.

Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •