View Poll Results: Should We open the borders?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    10 12.82%
  • No

    68 87.18%
Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 318

Thread: Should we open the borders?

  1. #131
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Should we open the borders?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Exactly. Put yourself in their shoes. If I'm a drug cartel king in Mexico, and some towel-wearing dude with sandals comes in to my barrio trying to build bombs and whatnot, I'm not exactly going to welcome him with open arms.

    People tend to operate on the basis of self-interest, and it's against their self-interest to allow Muslim extremists in to their country.

    The whole idea is nothing but a xenophobic scare tactic. Fear is the worst motivator.

    I'd rather be driven by the opportunity that the influx of new workers, new ideas, etc could bring than be driven by the fear of xenophobia.
    You think Al Qaeda doesn't have money to pay off the drug lords? LOL! The cartels will do almost anything for money.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  2. #132
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Should we open the borders?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    You think Al Qaeda doesn't have money to pay off the drug lords? LOL! The cartels will do almost anything for money.
    Yes and no. They're greedy, immoral, but not stupid. The last thing they want to do is provoke the United States in to coming after them. This is why you don't see drug violence spill over the border from the border towns. They know that they can get away with quite a bit in Mexico by paying off or intimidating local politicians/police, but if they fight their drug wars in the United States, it's curtains for their organization.

    Similarly, they wouldn't be stupid enough to accept money from Al Qaeda. It's bad for business.

  3. #133
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Should we open the borders?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Yes and no. They're greedy, immoral, but not stupid. The last thing they want to do is provoke the United States in to coming after them. This is why you don't see drug violence spill over the border from the border towns. They know that they can get away with quite a bit in Mexico by paying off or intimidating local politicians/police, but if they fight their drug wars in the United States, it's curtains for their organization.

    Similarly, they wouldn't be stupid enough to accept money from Al Qaeda. It's bad for business.
    That's about the most naive view of drug lords I've seen yet.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  4. #134
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Should we open the borders?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    That's about the most naive view of drug lords I've seen yet.
    While I'm sure you have plenty of experience with South American drug lords, I have actually known a couple in my day, believe it or not. Not well, mind you, but I have known a couple.

    This is years ago, so maybe Mexicans are nothing like the Colombians were, but from what I know, they treat drugs like a business. Now, maybe the Mexicans are different, who knows. But what I'm telling you is true. There is no way they would even entertain the idea of getting in bed with Al Qaeda. They don't give two ****s about politics either way. Everything is a cold-blooded cost/benefit analysis.

    They can pump drugs in to this country all day (and they do), and nobody will do much about it... in spite of the "war on drugs." The public interest just isn't there.

    Anybody with any brains at all knows the number one way to provoke the wrath of the United States is to get in to bed with Al Quaeda. Everyone knows that.

    The USA are these guys' biggest customer. There is zero chance they're going to kill the goose that's laying the golden egg. That's just how it is, believe it or not.

    Right now they're flying under the radar. They'll do what it takes to keep it that way.

    If an al Qaeda guy walked in to Colombia and wanted passage in to the United States, honestly, they'd probably kill him.

  5. #135
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Should we open the borders?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Anybody with any brains at all knows the number one way to provoke the wrath of the United States is to get in to bed with Al Quaeda. Everyone knows that.
    They don't have to do that. All they have to do is put one more illegal in the same truck with all the other illegals - and they'll probably charge him more to do it. They're making more money than they would off a Mexican illegal so they're happy. This is what drug lords do, they smuggle illegal goods across the border, which includes people.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  6. #136
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Should we open the borders?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    They don't have to do that. All they have to do is put one more illegal in the same truck with all the other illegals - and they'll probably charge him more to do it. They're making more money than they would off a Mexican illegal so they're happy. This is what drug lords do, they smuggle illegal goods across the border, which includes people.
    Yeah, but nobody cares about another gardener, but they know damn well that if they smuggle a terrorist they will have the full attention of the USA. Goodbye lucrative drug business. That's a very poor business decision.

  7. #137
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Should we open the borders?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    They don't have to do that. All they have to do is put one more illegal in the same truck with all the other illegals - and they'll probably charge him more to do it. They're making more money than they would off a Mexican illegal so they're happy. This is what drug lords do, they smuggle illegal goods across the border, which includes people.
    You know, what I COULD see happening is if a terrorist managed to fool the coyotes somehow. If somehow he managed to slip through their cracks, then I could see a terrorist coming in through Mexico. But NEVER with the knowledge of the cartel. Ain't no way.

  8. #138
    Sage
    DDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Republic of Dardania
    Last Seen
    05-06-17 @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,173

    Re: Should we open the borders?

    What about teachers in what you may consider "tough courses" such as statistics? One does not even has to be physically in USA neither (if you find your borders as sensitive) and could benefit from online teaching.

    How about lowering virtual working visas rather than the whole thing then?
    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Stats come out and always show life getting better. News makes money in making you think its not.
    The Republic of Dardania is the proper name for: http://www.debatepolitics.com/europe...ification.html

  9. #139
    Educator HumanBeing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    745

    Re: Should we open the borders?

    I still don't understand why some people are suggesting that all immigration be halted. Like I said, I want to live there, I can take care of myself, and I don't mind opening another business to employ a few people if the market conditions are right for it. Why shouldn't I be allowed in? I have a slightly dodgy haircut, but apart from that there is nothing defective about me. I believe in peace, love, and being nice to people. What's the big deal?

    I also still think my "citizenship trade" is a good idea. You have lots of socialists who would be very happy in England, and I think I'd be happier in America, so why can't we be allowed to just trade places? Everyone would win out of it.

    Edit,

  10. #140
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Should we open the borders?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Yeah, but nobody cares about another gardener, but they know damn well that if they smuggle a terrorist they will have the full attention of the USA. Goodbye lucrative drug business. That's a very poor business decision.
    You really think we'll figure out they came through Mexico? LOL! I think you give us too much credit.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •