View Poll Results: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    20 42.55%
  • No.

    26 55.32%
  • Knibb High football rules!

    1 2.13%
Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 294

Thread: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    In Scandinavia, hardly anyone gets married anymore. What is the point? If you love someone, you can live with them. In Sweden, they call this "sambo."

    There was a time when pretty much everyone agreed on the definition of marriage... so it worked. Marriage was between a man and a woman, it was a sacred bond, and divorce was an unthinkable stigma. Slowly, for better or for worse, in sickness and in health.... our perceptions have changed.

    Now, there is all this fussing and fighting, hooting and hollering over what marriage ought to be, who ought to be allowed to marry whom, etc.

    So I say like the ever forward-thinking and practical Swedes: What's the point?

    Government shouldn't need to be involved in marriage. For those who want to get married and have a ceremony and wear the pretty dress, you can do so. Go to your church and get married, or your mosque, or your temple, or your favorite casino with a midget elvis impersonator holding the proceedings.... whatever floats your boat.

    Wear your pretty dress, have your day in the sun.

    But get rid of marriage as a legal status. It serves no purpose except to make society fight over nothing.
    Last edited by Peter Grimm; 05-22-13 at 02:02 AM.

  2. #2
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Two people don't need to be married to fight over nothing. Simply being in a relationship will do that to you.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Two people don't need to be married to fight over nothing. Simply being in a relationship will do that to you.
    I dont' mean the married couple fighting, I mean society.

    Look on these boards. There's literally a bajillion threads about gay marriage, and it's the most pointless fight in the world. Just get rid of marriage as a legal concept, and we'll have nothing to fight about as a society.

    Better for everyone.

  4. #4
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    "We can't have marriage all to ourselves and would rather destroy it than share it with the icky gays." I also like the glossing over of how marriage was, for most of human history, part of the institutionalized slavery of women. But everyone* agreed on it, so it worked**.

    *Men, primarily land-owning men
    **It worked for the aforementioned men
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    "We can't have marriage all to ourselves and would rather destroy it than share it with the icky gays."
    Is that supposed to be a straw man? It doesn't matter if it's supposed to be one, because it is one. I never said that, implied that, or meant to convey that.

    I just don't believe in marriage as a government function.

    That has nothing to do with gays, who, frankly, are very low on my list of things I normally think about. Gay marriage doesn't affect my day-to-day one bit.

    If anything, my disdain for marriage as a legal concept comes from the fact that my girlfriend and I don't get any tax write-offs, while my sister, who is married, gets to write off the fact that she's married and gets a tax break for it. What a backward system that is! Why should the government care one way or the other?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    I also like the glossing over of how marriage was, for most of human history, part of the institutionalized slavery of women. But everyone* agreed on it, so it worked**.

    *Men, primarily land-owning men
    **It worked for the aforementioned men
    If marriage is intended to enslave women, how come it's always the woman who wants to get married and the man who doesn't want to commit? Most of the time, at least.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SE Asia
    Last Seen
    07-12-14 @ 10:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    2,333

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    While I think the vast majority of people could do just fine without the government sanctioning their marriage, I still think there is a need to keep the legal framework on the books. Take me as just one example.

    I have spent my entire military career stationed overseas. And since I refuse to date anyone I work with, my pool of prospective dates was pretty much limited non-Americans. And I did end up marrying a Cambodian national. But in order for me to get her put on my orders, and get here everything a military dependent is entitled to, we had to get married. In fact, due to my security clearance, if I didn’t marry her, and just lived with her, I risked losing my clearance (not that that swayed my decision).

    When she goes with me to another country of assignment that country will only allow her to have the same residential or diplomatic status as I have if we are married.

    And lastly, when we applied for her to get her American citizenship we had to show proof of our marriage.

    So if you are in the US and don’t plan on leaving the US, it probably isn’t important that the government recognize your marriage. But the US isn’t the only country in the world. For the rest of us, any change in the status quo would still have to be recognized by all the other nations out there.

  7. #7
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,142

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    "We can't have marriage all to ourselves and would rather destroy it than share it with the icky gays." I also like the glossing over of how marriage was, for most of human history, part of the institutionalized slavery of women. But everyone* agreed on it, so it worked**.

    *Men, primarily land-owning men
    **It worked for the aforementioned men
    Nope, I agree with him. And I don't find the gays the least bit icky. I'm clinking my champagne with them here in MN.

    But it doesn't change the simple fact that government has no business holding this much power over other people's personal lives.

    Marriage wasn't a legal institution in the US until the 1860's. The reason they started making it legal was so they could ban interracial couples from marrying.

    And that lovely tradition of bigotry continues to this day. That's all legal marriage is: a tradition of bigotry. Get rid of it.

  8. #8
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    16,440
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    In Scandinavia, hardly anyone gets married anymore. What is the point? If you love someone, you can live with them. In Sweden, they call this "sambo."

    There was a time when pretty much everyone agreed on the definition of marriage... so it worked. Marriage was between a man and a woman, it was a sacred bond, and divorce was an unthinkable stigma. Slowly, for better or for worse, in sickness and in health.... our perceptions have changed.

    Now, there is all this fussing and fighting, hooting and hollering over what marriage ought to be, who ought to be allowed to marry whom, etc.

    So I say like the ever forward-thinking and practical Swedes: What's the point?

    Government shouldn't need to be involved in marriage. For those who want to get married and have a ceremony and wear the pretty dress, you can do so. Go to your church and get married, or your mosque, or your temple, or your favorite casino with a midget elvis impersonator holding the proceedings.... whatever floats your boat.

    Wear your pretty dress, have your day in the sun.

    But get rid of marriage as a legal status. It serves no purpose except to make society fight over nothing.
    When you think about it, it's kind of anachronistic anyway. Quaint, sure, and a good excuse for a party, but hardly anything to get all worked up over.

  9. #9
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,850

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    If anything, my disdain for marriage as a legal concept comes from the fact that my girlfriend and I don't get any tax write-offs, while my sister, who is married, gets to write off the fact that she's married and gets a tax break for it. What a backward system that is! Why should the government care one way or the other?
    Why do you think it's backward? I don't understand what you would think is forward.
    I don't attack my constituents. Bob is my constituent now.
    This is the important stuff. We can’t get lost in discrimination. We can’t get lost in B.S. We can’t get lost tearing each other down. I want to make a point here that no matter what you look like, where you come from, how you worship, who you love, how you identify, and yeah, how you run, that if you have good public policy ideas, if you are well qualified for office, bring those ideas to the table, because this is your America, too. This is our commonwealth of Virginia, too.
    Danica Roem - The nation's first openly transgender person elected to serve in a U.S. state legislature.

  10. #10
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    Nope, I agree with him. And I don't find the gays the least bit icky. I'm clinking my champagne with them here in MN.

    But it doesn't change the simple fact that government has no business holding this much power over other people's personal lives.

    Marriage wasn't a legal institution in the US until the 1860's. The reason they started making it legal was so they could ban interracial couples from marrying.

    And that lovely tradition of bigotry continues to this day. That's all legal marriage is: a tradition of bigotry. Get rid of it.
    That's really not true. There have been laws about marriage for thousands of years. The specific system of marriage licenses may only be 150 years old, and it may have come from a bigoted source, but that has nothing to do with there being laws about who can and cannot get married, division of property, divorce, child custody, inheritance... all of it. I mean, Henry VIII had to yank his country out of Catholicism because the one lawmaking body that made rules about marriage (the church) had laws against divorce. Marriage is and always has been a legal institution.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •