View Poll Results: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    20 42.55%
  • No.

    26 55.32%
  • Knibb High football rules!

    1 2.13%
Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 294

Thread: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

  1. #81
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,036

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Discrimination against singles.

    Your turn.
    That's not an argument against marriage, but against discrimination between married and unmarried people. It makes no more sense to abolish marriage on the point of discrimination against single people as it did to abolish marriage on the basis that people of mixed races couldn't marry: changing the rules of marriage was sufficient to correct that particular problem.

    EVEN SO...

    Your argument doesn't work on the second reason that the government has a state interest in encouraging stable relationships, such as marriage does, the obvious example being tax breaks for married people.

  2. #82
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Your argument doesn't work on the second reason that the government has a state interest in encouraging stable relationships, such as marriage does, the obvious example being tax breaks for married people.
    There goes the SSM argument then.

  3. #83
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,036

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    There goes the SSM argument then.
    Explain.

  4. #84
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Explain.
    If you can make an argument about unmarried couples being unstable, I'll gladly make the argument about gays.

  5. #85
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    As long as there is legal recognition for family at all, we need marriage, at least recognized.

    And marriage does help to protect people. Think about this. What if someone has two wives, and neither knows about the other? It happens now with marriage being tracked. It would be even more easy for someone to do this if marriage was simply whenever someone said they were "married"/wanted to be recognized as a legal spouses. Who gets what? Who gets to make the decisions when it comes to the death of the person living the two lives, the first spouse, the second, the last, the oldest, the youngest? What if a spouse claimed they weren't a "spouse" at all to avoid having to pay debts of the other because they had access to the accounts and wiped the other out, leaving any debts and even the burial/funeral to blood relatives?

    Now, if there is no legal recognition of spouses at all, then you come upon may other problems. Do we make writing up wills and living wills compulsory? Do we force adults to have this paperwork made up for themselves, vice the much simpler "marriage contract"?

    I honestly don't see us doing away with legal recognition of marriage anytime in the near future because it really doesn't cost anything to society and in fact, provides plenty of benefits to society, beyond even that small incoming tax bonus to our public coffers due to marriage. Many people want marriage. It is much more efficient and less paperwork (by a lot) for a contract that covers a lot of things that people want that "special person" in their life to have legal say/privilege to.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #86
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,036

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    If you can make an argument about unmarried couples being unstable, I'll gladly make the argument about gays.
    Are you saying that married couples do not have statistically higher rates of stability than unmarried couples?

  7. #87
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    If you can make an argument about unmarried couples being unstable, I'll gladly make the argument about gays.
    You're argument wouldn't work because married couples are going to be more stable than single couples no matter their relative genders. But not only that, marriages don't really cost taxpayers money at all, but do benefit society greatly, even when it is same sex couples. So that means a cost/benefit analysis would show that married couples are worth the cost (which isn't really significant if it costs anything at all) because of the benefits to society in providing another adult who is volunteering to take legal responsibility for another adult and vice versa.

    The single person and the married couple are not similarly situated.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #88
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Are you saying that married couples do not have statistically higher rates of stability than unmarried couples?
    I'm not sure how you can rate stability of unmarried couples, but I'd be willing to take that bet.

    I'd also be willing to invoke some statistics about kids being raised in a homosexual household as opposed to a household with a mother and father - especially with regard to abuse.

  9. #89
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,036

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    I'm not sure how you can rate stability of unmarried couples, but I'd be willing to take that bet.

    I'd also be willing to invoke some statistics about kids being raised in a homosexual household as opposed to a household with a mother and father - especially with regard to abuse.
    Captain has crawled up people's butts with a mining hat and a pick axe when they tried arguing that homosexual couples were less able parents or less stable family units. While I don't have the information on hand like he does, when I do I can guarantee you that's a debate you'll lose. The facts don't support you on this one. Not that the facts supported you anywhere else, either, but still.

  10. #90
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Captain has crawled up people's butts with a mining hat and a pick axe when they tried arguing that homosexual couples were less able parents or less stable family units. While I don't have the information on hand like he does, when I do I can guarantee you that's a debate you'll lose. The facts don't support you on this one. Not that the facts supported you anywhere else, either, but still.
    I think that if you did research on biological parents who raise children without marriage, you wouldn't find the disparity in stability that you're looking for in regard to this thread.

Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •