View Poll Results: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    20 42.55%
  • No.

    26 55.32%
  • Knibb High football rules!

    1 2.13%
Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 294

Thread: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

  1. #71
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    I support ending the legal recognition of marriage (so I can keep at least some of my stuff when my wife realizes my growth curve has taken a downward plunge and runs off to some pot-smoking lesbian hippie retreat where Lady Bic Razors are burned in protest)
    The problem with your argument is that when you got married you agreed to give her ownership of your property. If you don't like shared property and its pit falls of mindless disputes over property you shouldn't have agreed to it. Yup, she didn't put anything towards buying anything in the entire house and yet she gets everything. Go figure.

  2. #72
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,038

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I will happily explain to you the benefits of removing government from marriage when you provide me with a reason why my position is based on bigotry.

    You will never do that though, will you?
    No more stalling. Either make an argument in favor of your position or admit you don't have one.

  3. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    No more stalling. Either make an argument in favor of your position or admit you don't have one.
    Discrimination against singles.

    Your turn.

  4. #74
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,793

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    No more stalling. Either make an argument in favor of your position or admit you don't have one.
    Come on, we know he doesn't have one, he hasn't got a rational argument in favor of anything he believes.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  5. #75
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    No more stalling. Either make an argument in favor of your position or admit you don't have one.
    I have already offered one reason in this thread and yet you haven't offered up one in return. Why should I continue to give to you when you give nothing in return?

  6. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Come on, we know he doesn't have one, he hasn't got a rational argument in favor of anything he believes.
    I don't regularly take advice from eight year olds nor do I consider what they have to say about me.

  7. #77
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    The problem with your argument is that when you got married you agreed to give her ownership of your property. If you don't like shared property and its pit falls of mindless disputes over property you shouldn't have agreed to it. Yup, she didn't put anything towards buying anything in the entire house and yet she gets everything. Go figure.
    No, she has bought most of the junk in the house out of her money. We didn't have nearly the cool stuff then like we do now, like flat panel TV's, that I my want to keep as learning to work a new remote is such a bitch. Regardless, I was sort of joking sort of not. She is a keeper; I may not be but she is. I really do not feel that marriage is some great thing because there is a piece of paper at the Courthouse. I cannot imagine that our lives would be any different if the paper didn't exist other than we might have more money since she blew a fortune on the I do's. I just wanted to elope to somewhere cool like Antarctica.

  8. #78
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    No, she has bought most of the junk in the house out of her money. We didn't have nearly the cool stuff then like we do now, like flat panel TV's, that I my want to keep as learning to work a new remote is such a bitch. Regardless, I was sort of joking sort of not. She is a keeper; I may not be but she is. I really do not feel that marriage is some great thing because there is a piece of paper at the Courthouse. I cannot imagine that our lives would be any different if the paper didn't exist other than we might have more money since she blew a fortune on the I do's. I just wanted to elope to somewhere cool like Antarctica.
    Well then. One of the reasons I will never marry someone is that I hate the prospect of losing my stuff. I have no problem sharing it, but to assume that sharing it for X amount of years equals ownership is the worst kind of nonsense. Just because I allow someone to share with me things bought with my money does not mean they can claim ownership later. The fact that the contract basically makes everything in the marriage the property of both parties is a huge reason I find the contract not agreeable. I don't really care all that much if other people want to agree with it, but its not a wise decision in my opinion.

    I wish you luck in your marriage and if it ever goes under I hope you get your wish and keep the tv.

  9. #79
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Well then. One of the reasons I will never marry someone is that I hate the prospect of losing my stuff. I have no problem sharing it, but to assume that sharing it for X amount of years equals ownership is the worst kind of nonsense. Just because I allow someone to share with me things bought with my money does not mean they can claim ownership later. The idea that contract basically makes everything in the marriage the property of both parties is a huge reason I find the contract not agreeable. I don't really care all that much if other people want to agree with it, but its not a wise decision in my opinion.

    I wish you luck in your marriage and if it ever goes under I hope you get your wish and keep the tv.
    LOL. Thanks. My state is not a community property state so anything you bring into the marriage is off limits in the divorce unless you have mixed marital assets into it (like using money you make from work while married to build a room onto the house you owned prior to the marriage). I really don't care but for about things like family heirlooms from my family. She could take the rest for all I really care anyway. The kids wouldn't need to see their lives turned upside down and as long as I had liberal visitation, that would be acceptable. She also is very close with some of my family members as are the kids so a divorce would not need to be a drama filled thing. Our lives are pretty low maintenance.

  10. #80
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Um...no. Every religion has some arbitrary belief system, and I doubt you'd have to look very hard to find one that believes any of a number of things that disqualify me from common privileges I take for granted. So with all due respect religious people, at least in this context, can bite me.
    You're entitled to your opinion. Trust me, making religious people feel good about their prejudice is not worth my time to even think about. If it ever comes down to an actual vote then I'd vote to let anyone marry - but I don't think it'll ever get that far.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •