View Poll Results: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    20 42.55%
  • No.

    26 55.32%
  • Knibb High football rules!

    1 2.13%
Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 294

Thread: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

  1. #41
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Yes, that is wonderful. Would you care to explain it? You do realize what a bigot would support, right?
    Yes, they would support being married within their own churches, and if government were removed from marriage they would have some justification for denying the legitimacy of marriages conducted outside their belief system; unlike now, in which they, if only in name, must be forced to share marriage with people they don't agree should have that title.

    And I recognize this because removing government from marriage is only a topic that comes up during gay marriage debates or when another state legalizes it. And I recognize that connection because I'm smarter than a box of rocks.

    And so, in response to the question, "should we remove government from marriage," I give my default answer: no.

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SE Asia
    Last Seen
    07-12-14 @ 10:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    2,333

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    You're not able to give a straight answer based on anybody's interest.
    When you said “what’s in it for YOU” before I thought you were referring to the person you were talking to. Being straight, there is nothing in it for me personally. But for a gay couple? Ok, a couple things off the top of my head:

    -Marriage allows one to claim tax deductions. So there is a financial benefit.
    -Federally recognized SSM would allow service members to put their same sex spouses on their orders, thus entitling them to all the benefits military dependents are entitled to
    -Federally recognized SSM would allow US Immigration to recognize same sex spouses for the purposes of becoming legal residents or citizens
    -Marriage is recognized by governments worldwide. Civil unions are recognized by states. Civil unions are not recognized at the federal level and what is recognized by one state may not be recognized by another
    -A married spouse can receive Social Security survivor benefits. This is not true for a civil union.

    That is just a few off the top of my head without using Google.

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Yes, they would support being married within their own churches, and if government were removed from marriage they would have some justification for denying the legitimacy of marriages conducted outside their belief system; unlike now, in which they, if only in name, must be forced to share marriage with people they don't agree should have that title.
    What? I have no idea what you mean by that. In what direction do I even comment towards something like this that seems to be making an argument towards personal feelings that are entirely irreverent to what other people will be able to do.

    Not only that, but people deny the legitimacy of marriages outside of their belief system already.

    And I recognize this because removing government from marriage is only a topic that comes up during gay marriage debates or when another state legalizes it. And I recognize that connection because I'm smarter than a box of rocks.
    So you're using your experience of these debates as an argument towards what the position is based on and what conversions happen outside of the debate of gay marriage that you assume without any sort of knowledge what so ever doesn't occur. Right..

    Perhaps you shouldn't base your conclusions entirely on personal experience?
    Last edited by Henrin; 05-22-13 at 05:25 AM.

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    And yet...this topic only comes up during gay marriage debates, or right around when another states legalizes it. Funny that.
    Well, this thread isn't about gay marriage.

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    You're not able to give a straight answer based on anybody's interest. This is why the internet-only interest in removing government from marriage isn't taken seriously. You have a proposal and absolutely no clue on how to argue in favor of it.
    My argument is based more on principle than it is on anything practical, however I simply don't see any benefit to society as whole by having the government manage marriage licenses. The more the government has to manage, the more resources need to be allocated toward that management. That's time, money, and people.

  6. #46
    Guru
    Chaddelamancha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,546

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Government should stay out of marriage, gay or otherwise.
    Hail to the King baby!

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaddelamancha View Post
    Government should stay out of marriage, gay or otherwise.
    I think it's very cool that liberals and progressives are starting to come around to the libertarian position on marriage.

  8. #48
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcogito View Post
    When you said “what’s in it for YOU” before I thought you were referring to the person you were talking to. Being straight, there is nothing in it for me personally. But for a gay couple? Ok, a couple things off the top of my head:

    -Marriage allows one to claim tax deductions. So there is a financial benefit.
    -Federally recognized SSM would allow service members to put their same sex spouses on their orders, thus entitling them to all the benefits military dependents are entitled to
    -Federally recognized SSM would allow US Immigration to recognize same sex spouses for the purposes of becoming legal residents or citizens
    -Marriage is recognized by governments worldwide. Civil unions are recognized by states. Civil unions are not recognized at the federal level and what is recognized by one state may not be recognized by another
    -A married spouse can receive Social Security survivor benefits. This is not true for a civil union.

    That is just a few off the top of my head without using Google.
    I am in favor of Federally recognized marriage for the above reasons, the fourth one in particular.

  9. #49
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    What? I have no idea what you mean by that. In what direction do I even comment towards something like this that seems to be making an argument towards personal feelings that are entirely irreverent to what other people will be able to do.

    Not only that, but people deny the legitimacy of marriages outside of their belief system already.



    So you're using your experience of these debates as an argument towards what the position is based on and what conversions happen outside of the debate of gay marriage that you assume without any sort of knowledge what so ever doesn't occur. Right..

    Perhaps you shouldn't base your conclusions entirely on personal experience?
    Before accusing me of making arguments based on personal feelings, perhaps you should have come to this debate pre-prepared with arguments in favor of removing government from marriage. As you have none ("freedom" is not an argument), then my position is, quite simply, fine.
    Last edited by Cardinal; 05-22-13 at 11:27 AM.

  10. #50
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    My argument is based more on principle than it is on anything practical, however I simply don't see any benefit to society as whole by having the government manage marriage licenses. The more the government has to manage, the more resources need to be allocated toward that management. That's time, money, and people.
    It is perfectly self evident that your position is based on principle over practicality.

    Do you have any citations that show that gigantic government resources are allocated to managing marriages? I've never heard of this and though I suspect you've made it up for the convenience of this debate.

Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •