View Poll Results: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    20 42.55%
  • No.

    26 55.32%
  • Knibb High football rules!

    1 2.13%
Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 294

Thread: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

  1. #31
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Why do you assume it's based on bigotry? People have had the position government shouldn't be in the marriage business since the beginning.
    It's based on bigotry. Call me psychic.

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    And yet...this topic only comes up during gay marriage debates, or right around when another states legalizes it. Funny that.
    How does that pass off as evidence of anything? We can't help it that the gay marriage debate is going on. Are we supposed to just shut up about our views on marriage until it's over?

  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    It's based on bigotry. Call me psychic.
    How does that even make sense? If we get government out of marriage then everyone would be permitted to marry whoever they please. If supporting something that would allow for more freedom is bigotry the world has just turned inside out.

  4. #34
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    How does that pass off as evidence of anything? We can't help it that the gay marriage debate is going on. Are we supposed to just shut up about our views on marriage until it's over?
    Yes, because...

    Me: Well, okay, but what's in it for you? How do you benefit from it?
    *Crickets*

  5. #35
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    How does that even make sense? If we get government out of marriage then everyone would be permitted to marry whoever they please. If supporting something that would allow for more freedom is bigotry the world has just turned inside out.
    Christ, this script is predictable.

  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Yes, because...

    Me: Well, okay, but what's in it for you? How do you benefit from it?
    *Crickets*
    You really don't understand positions not based on self interest, do you? Are you Ayn Rand or something?

  7. #37
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    You really don't understand positions not based on self interest, do you?
    You're not able to give a straight answer based on anybody's interest. This is why the internet-only interest in removing government from marriage isn't taken seriously. You have a proposal and absolutely no clue on how to argue in favor of it.

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Christ, this script is predictable.
    Would you care to explain how the position of allowing everyone to marry without government interference could possibly be a position based on bigotry?

  9. #39
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Would you care to explain how the position of allowing everyone to marry without government interference could possibly be a position based on bigotry?
    Same script.

    Them: Oh, this gay marriage! Let's just get the government out of it altogether!
    Me: Why?
    Them: so the government doesn't intrude in your personal affairs.
    Me: they're not.
    Them: well, they're telling gays they can't get married!
    Me: that's why there's a push for legalized gay marriage.
    Them: Don't you want more freedom?
    Me: For who?
    Them: For everybody!
    Me: To do what?
    Them: to get married to who you want.
    Me: I can do that.
    Them: it's not just about yourself.
    Me: Well, okay, but what's in it for you? How do you benefit from it?
    *Crickets*

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Same script.

    Them: Oh, this gay marriage! Let's just get the government out of it altogether!
    Me: Why?
    Them: so the government doesn't intrude in your personal affairs.
    Me: they're not.
    Them: well, they're telling gays they can't get married!
    Me: that's why there's a push for legalized gay marriage.
    Them: Don't you want more freedom?
    Me: For who?
    Them: For everybody!
    Me: To do what?
    Them: to get married to who you want.
    Me: I can do that.
    Them: it's not just about yourself.
    Me: Well, okay, but what's in it for you? How do you benefit from it?
    *Crickets*
    Yes, that is wonderful. Would you care to explain it? You do realize what a bigot would support, right?

    The only way he could support my position is if he is a ****ing idiot that is out to cut off his own nuts.

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •