View Poll Results: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    20 42.55%
  • No.

    26 55.32%
  • Knibb High football rules!

    1 2.13%
Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 294

Thread: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

  1. #251
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by HumanBeing View Post
    @Agent J, whatever, it's not worth it. When people say stuff you disagree with you just start saying you win and they lose like it's some kind of factual declaration. The government doesn't state who you can own a house with, but it does state who you get financial benefits for owning a house with. Your assistance that artificial financial incentives aren't actually incentives just makes no sense at all, no matter how many times you repeat the word "factually" and tell people you won the argument.
    i accept your concession

    your statement was factually wrong and thanks for admitting it

    there was no argument and "i" didnt win anything, you made a false statement, i pointed that fact out and you just admitted it

    the rest you are making up, i never argued any of it, what makes no sense is YOU repeating something nobody is talking about LMAO

    your statement was factually wrong, theres no changing that fact

    is there a new item you would like to discuss?
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  2. #252
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by HumanBeing View Post
    All of which can be achieved by unmarried couples by using power of attorney and private contracts. The only benefits that are unique to marriage are artificially created financial incentives (and some stuff to do with removing obligations to testifying against each other, depending on where you're from).

    @Agent J, whatever, it's not worth it. When people say stuff you disagree with you just start saying you win and they lose like it's some kind of factual declaration. The government doesn't state who you can own a house with, but it does state who you get financial benefits for owning a house with. Your insistence that artificial financial incentives aren't actually incentives just makes no sense at all, no matter how many times you repeat the word "factually" and tell people you won the argument.
    No, they can't be. There are many things that power of attorneys do not cover. Tenancy by the Entirety is only available to legally married couple. It only exists for legally married couples.

    And making people have more paperwork is advocating less efficiency. That one contract, the marriage license, takes the place of dozens of contracts, possibly more depending on the couple and it precludes the need to keep getting the contract changed as circumstances for the couple change.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #253
    Educator HumanBeing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    745

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    i accept your concession

    your statement was factually wrong and thanks for admitting it

    there was no argument and "i" didnt win anything, you made a false statement, i pointed that fact out and you just admitted it

    the rest you are making up, i never argued any of it, what makes no sense is YOU repeating something nobody is talking about LMAO

    your statement was factually wrong, theres no changing that fact

    is there a new item you would like to discuss?
    Again, keep saying "factually" and declaring yourself to have "won", but it means nothing. You claim that the government doesn't get involved in ownership of property between married couples, but it gives them tax breaks for it and allows them to own it without the proper legal mechanisms in place that you or I or anyone else would need to own the property. They just let you bypass a whole bunch of important issues because you're married. My point is that the government shouldn't be allowed to do that. I'm done discussing this with you as you evidently aren't capable of having an adult conversation, unlike the vast majority of people around here.

  4. #254
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by HumanBeing View Post
    1.)Again, keep saying "factually"
    2.)and declaring yourself to have "won", but it means nothing.
    3.) You claim that the government doesn't get involved in ownership of property between married couples, but it gives them tax breaks for it and allows them to own it without the proper legal mechanisms in place that you or I or anyone else would need to own the property. They just let you bypass a whole bunch of important issues because you're married. My point is that the government shouldn't be allowed to do that.
    4.)I'm done discussing this with you as you evidently aren't capable of having an adult conversation, unlike the vast majority of people around here.
    1.) i will because your statement was factually wrong you admitted it lol
    2.)where did i say i won? thats right i didnt you lied if you disagree please quote me telling you i won
    3.) no i never made this claim at all, this is also a lie, you made it up. if you disagree please quote me saying otherwise
    4.) thats a good move on your part since you are lying and you are just making up arguments. You wont be able to have an adult conversation with anybody when you keep lying and denying facts. The problem is all on your end and this thread proves that
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  5. #255
    Educator HumanBeing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    745

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    No, they can't be. There are many things that power of attorneys do not cover. Tenancy by the Entirety is only available to legally married couple. It only exists for legally married couples.
    What aspects of Tenancy by the Entirety can't be replicated through power of attorney?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke
    And making people have more paperwork is advocating less efficiency. That one contract, the marriage license, takes the place of dozens of contracts, possibly more depending on the couple and it precludes the need to keep getting the contract changed as circumstances for the couple change.
    None of this is relevant to the question of whether the government should have the right to do this in the first place. It doesn't preclude the need to get contracts updated as circumstances change, it just ignores the need until divorce proceedings.

    @J, just stop dude, I'm not playing your games, I come here to debate politics, not get into pissing matches with illiterate 12 year olds.

  6. #256
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by HumanBeing View Post
    What aspects of Tenancy by the Entirety can't be replicated through power of attorney?


    None of this is relevant to the question of whether the government should have the right to do this in the first place. It doesn't preclude the need to get contracts updated as circumstances change, it just ignores the need until divorce proceedings.
    Having this considered joint property with a "right to survivorship" without the requirement of having to make up a specific contract stating this. We don't need the extra paperwork just so there is extra paperwork, especially not when most married couples want these protections. It doesn't cost you anything for them to have such protections, so why do you care?
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #257
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by HumanBeing View Post
    @J, just stop dude, I'm not playing your games, I come here to debate politics, not get into pissing matches with illiterate 12 year olds.
    translation: you cant back up the lies you just stated, we all now that already. This is why you have nothing left but to try failed insults, its typical of a person who has no logical or honest path to take, they become embarrassed and emotional so they lash out and become uncivil.

    AN "adult" would simply just show integrity, admit they misspoke and NOT make up lies, you are choosing otherwise

    Again like i said if you believe you didn't just lie in your last post simply quote me saying the BS you claimed LOL
    why dont you just quote me and prove me wrong?

    When you are ready to stay on topic and have a honest discussion you let me know.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  8. #258
    Educator HumanBeing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    745

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Having this considered joint property with a "right to survivorship" without the requirement of having to make up a specific contract stating this. We don't need the extra paperwork just so there is extra paperwork, especially not when most married couples want these protections. It doesn't cost you anything for them to have such protections, so why do you care?
    Why should those protections be exclusive to married couples? If you're so concerned with saving paperwork, why not just give them to anyone who wants them so they don't have to go make a seperate power of attorney? Why should people who believe in marriage get special legal rights over people who don't?

  9. #259
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by HumanBeing View Post
    Why should those protections be exclusive to married couples? If you're so concerned with saving paperwork, why not just give them to anyone who wants them so they don't have to go make a seperate power of attorney? Why should people who believe in marriage get special legal rights over people who don't?
    Because that is part of the contract. You agree to register your relationship (basically) with the federal government and they provide you with certain conveniences/benefits, such as not having to draw up extra contracts and/or putting in place specific language in your "joint ownership contracts" to cover those situations and being able to have certain rights.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #260
    Educator HumanBeing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    745

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Because that is part of the contract. You agree to register your relationship (basically) with the federal government and they provide you with certain conveniences/benefits, such as not having to draw up extra contracts and/or putting in place specific language in your "joint ownership contracts" to cover those situations and being able to have certain rights.
    So why can't people register any relationship they want and get the same benefits? Why does it have to be between a husband and wife?

Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •