View Poll Results: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    20 42.55%
  • No.

    26 55.32%
  • Knibb High football rules!

    1 2.13%
Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 294

Thread: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

  1. #151
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Then you shouldn't be making statements on what the level of that cost is.
    I didn't. I simply stated that there was a cost.

    If you're such a stickler for data, can you prove that no cost exists?

  2. #152
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,886

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    I didn't. I simply stated that there was a cost.
    A cost that was so significant that you proposed that marriage be eradicated entirely. If that cost is so significant then you should be able to cite it. But as you said, no studies have been done, which means you had no way of knowing that such a cost was in truth significant when you initially made that claim. It just sorta...made sense to you...and you went with it. As you can see that's a pretty risky tactic in a debate.

  3. #153
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,886

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Yes, that's very easy to quantify. It's the total amount of the tax write-offs.
    No. Roguenuke already addressed this, and your response was to hand wave it away.

  4. #154
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    09-02-13 @ 03:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,208

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    It's certainly not involved in your marriage business. Genuinely curious: do you receive a certificate of any kind if you've been married in your church? If so (I assume the ceremony carries with it some notable significance), why shouldn't that be enough for you?
    Because I still have to go to the government in order to "validate" the marriage for insurance purposes, legal purposes, etc. Why do I have to explain this to you? Are you seriously unable to understand why/how the government is still involved? What is wrong with you?

  5. #155
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,886

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Quik View Post
    Because I still have to go to the government in order to "validate" the marriage for insurance purposes, legal purposes, etc. Why do I have to explain this to you? Are you seriously unable to understand why/how the government is still involved? What is wrong with you?
    Well, again, you don't have to if you don't want to, but even if I were religious I'd still want the government to have that part in marriage, since doing provides certain protections from state to state, rather than being forced to battle it out in every single community I visit.

  6. #156
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    09-02-13 @ 03:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,208

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Well, again, you don't have to if you don't want to, but even if I were religious I'd still want the government to have that part in marriage, since doing provides certain protections from state to state, rather than being forced to battle it out in every single community I visit.
    That's the whole point, there shouldn't be "protections" because the government shouldn't be giving preference to anyone. Governments should just get out of the marriage business all together.

  7. #157
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,886

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Quik View Post
    That's the whole point, there shouldn't be "protections" because the government shouldn't be giving preference to anyone. Governments should just get out of the marriage business all together.
    Yet you want the government in your marriage business for insurance purposes, legal purposes, etc. Right?

  8. #158
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    09-02-13 @ 03:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,208

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Yet you want the government in your marriage business for insurance purposes, legal purposes, etc. Right?
    No. They made it that way, not me. If the government wasn't in the marriage business then I wouldn't have to go to the government in order to have my marriage validated.

  9. #159
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    A cost that was so significant that you proposed that marriage be eradicated entirely. If that cost is so significant then you should be able to cite it. But as you said, no studies have been done, which means you had no way of knowing that such a cost was in truth significant when you initially made that claim. It just sorta...made sense to you...and you went with it. As you can see that's a pretty risky tactic in a debate.
    The problem you have here, Cardinal, is you're assuming that practicality is my only basis for an argument here when, in fact, my issue with government involvement in marriage is primarily one of principle.

    The practical argument was made to appease you, in a sense, however I acknowledge that insufficient studies have been done to either make the case for or against government-sponsored marriage. The matter is inconclusive, awaiting further study.

  10. #160
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,328

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    The problem you have here, Cardinal, is you're assuming that practicality is my only basis for an argument here when, in fact, my issue with government involvement in marriage is primarily one of principle.

    The practical argument was made to appease you, in a sense, however I acknowledge that insufficient studies have been done to either make the case for or against government-sponsored marriage. The matter is inconclusive, awaiting further study.


    There are principles left in Western Civilization ? Since when ?.........................

Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •