View Poll Results: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    20 42.55%
  • No.

    26 55.32%
  • Knibb High football rules!

    1 2.13%
Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 294

Thread: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

  1. #141
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Well, see that's just the problem. Your personal "the sky is blue" comments in your personal life are we call "unsubstantiated claims" on a debate forum. You can't pull a fact out of your butt just because it's convenient to your position. You claim that the government is burdened by work because of marriage. I've never heard of this being an issue so I'm going to need you to substantiate that claim.
    We all have needs. Funny thing.

  2. #142
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    We all have needs. Funny thing.
    Okay, so you can't back up your claim. I do not find this very surprising.

  3. #143
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    09-02-13 @ 03:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,208

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    You don't have to be married by a government official if you don't want to. If you want only a religious service then get married in your church. No one is holding a gun to your head.
    I'm not sure whether I should move forward and assume that you are totally ignorant of the subject or try to explain how the government is still involved in the marriage business under your scenario.

  4. #144
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Okay, so you can't back up your claim. I do not find this very surprising.
    Your request is just so silly, but I will try to answer you, OK?

    There has never been a study done to assess the true cost to government of administrating marriage. That doesn't mean the cost isn't there, it just means nobody has bothered to look at it.

    Likewise, there has never been a study done to substantiate whether the sky is, in fact, blue.

    However, if you use a bit of common sense, it is hardly a stretch to assume that the more work you ask the government to do on our behalf, the more resources they will need to expend to complete that work.

  5. #145
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Your request is just so silly, but I will try to answer you, OK?

    There has never been a study done to assess the true cost to government of administrating marriage.
    Then you shouldn't be making statements on what the level of that cost is.

  6. #146
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Let's say all the revenue the government needs to operate is a pizza. Every person puts in a little slice, and you end up with a whole pizza.

    Well, if someone is putting a little smaller slice in because they're married, that means someone else is going to have to put in a little bit more, so we end up with the whole pizza.

    Let me know if I need to slow down.
    Right, that's still not actually "subsidizing." That would be to support financially, as in the government actually handing money to the married couple. In any case, what is your increased burden because of a married couple's tax break. Can you quantify it?

  7. #147
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Quik View Post
    I'm not sure whether I should move forward and assume that you are totally ignorant of the subject or try to explain how the government is still involved in the marriage business under your scenario.
    And I'm not sure what you want. If you don't want government in marriage, then you are free not participate in that institution.

  8. #148
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    09-02-13 @ 03:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,208

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    And I'm not sure what you want. If you don't want government in marriage, then you are free not participate in that institution.
    So if I don't participate in that institution that means the government is no longer involved in the marriage business? Failure in logic.

  9. #149
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Quik View Post
    So if I don't participate in that institution that means the government is no longer involved in the marriage business? Failure in logic.
    It's certainly not involved in your marriage business. Genuinely curious: do you receive a certificate of any kind if you've been married in your church? If so (I assume the ceremony carries with it some notable significance), why shouldn't that be enough for you?

  10. #150
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Should we do away with marriage as a legal status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Right, that's still not actually "subsidizing." That would be to support financially, as in the government actually handing money to the married couple. In any case, what is your increased burden because of a married couple's tax break. Can you quantify it?
    Yes, that's very easy to quantify. It's the total amount of the tax write-offs.

Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •