View Poll Results: Is the Libertarian Party a close relative of the GOP in ideology?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm a Libertarian and the Libertarian Partyand like the GOP is part of conservatism.

    2 8.70%
  • I'm a Libertarian and there is no commonality between the Liberarian and Republican parties

    10 43.48%
  • I'm a Republican and see the Libertairan Party as somewhat similar to the GOP

    5 21.74%
  • I'm a Republican and the Liberarian Party and the GOP are like night and day

    2 8.70%
  • I'm a Democrat and see the Libertarian Party as somewhat similar to the GOP

    3 13.04%
  • I'm a Democrat and see the Libertarian Party as very different than the GOP

    1 4.35%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 68

Thread: Question for Libertarians

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Question for Libertarians

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    while i agree with you here on most, i disagree on one.

    that is why every libertarian, is not same......my issue is with your last one.
    Not every Libertarian is bound to agree with the "party" on each and every issues. Hell, I know some staunchly pro-life Democrats and I know Republicans that rail to get drugs legalized.

    In fact, I'd say that Libertarians have the greatest tendencies of all three parties to be in unison on subjects because of why they're Libertarians. When in doubt, most of us will side with the school of thought that most represents a minarchist point of view.

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Question for Libertarians

    I cannot answer the pol...I am not a Libertarian (though I agree with many - though not all - of their positions).

    And I am definitely not a member of those complete wastes-of-time other 2 parties.

  3. #23
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Question for Libertarians

    Minarchism



    Minarchism (also known as minimal statism) is a libertarian capitalist political philosophy. It is variously defined by sources. In the strictest sense, it holds that states ought to exist (as opposed to anarchy), that their only legitimate function is the protection of individuals from aggression, theft, breach of contract, and fraud, and that the only legitimate governmental institutions are the military, police, and courts. In the broadest sense, it also includes fire departments, prisons, the executive, and legislatures as legitimate government functions. Such states are generally called night-watchman states.

    Minarchists argue that the state has no authority to use its monopoly of force to interfere with free transactions between people, and see the state's sole responsibility as ensuring that contracts between private individuals and property are protected, through a system of law courts and enforcement. Minarchists generally believe a laissez-faire approach to the economy is most likely to lead to economic prosperity.

  4. #24
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:37 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,285

    Re: Question for Libertarians

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Those are not social issue, they are economic issues. Think about it. All those things are funded by taxes, coerced by government. Essentially they are wealth redistribution, a form of economic coercion. Social liberty, where democrats and libertarians agree, involve no economic coercion.
    Almost all government is "funded by taxes, coerced by government" - the fact that you pay for something in that manner doesn't make it an "economic issue." They are social issues. A true libertarian has no use for qualifiers on liberty. "Social liberty" is the idea that securing individual rights does not guarantee liberty - that extra steps are required to be sure that "everyone has a fair shake" or whatever it is that Obama is always saying. "Social liberalism" is what brings us concepts like "the right to housing" and "the right to healthcare"

  5. #25
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,727

    Re: Question for Libertarians

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    while i agree with you here on most, i disagree on one.

    that is why every libertarian, is not same......my issue is with the last one.
    Yeah immigration is kind of hard to balance priorities and liberties. Even the libertarian platform is a little cryptic on exactly what they mean, but it's still lightyears ahead of the republican stance.

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Libertarians are most certainly not "socially liberal" and share much in common with the Republican party on social issues. Libertarians may agree with Democrats on certain civil rights issues, but much of the Democrat social agenda is rooted in collectivism, which is flatly rejected by Libertarians and to a lesser extent, Republicans. On the most significant social issues - Education, Welfare/Social Insurance, Health Care - Libertarians have more in common with Republicans than they do with Democrats.
    I agree with GuyIncognito, those are not social issues. If you could be educated, collect welfare, or health care without the help of the state, that would be a social/civil rights issue. Because they are directly funded by the state they are economic issues.

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Almost all government is "funded by taxes, coerced by government" - the fact that you pay for something in that manner doesn't make it an "economic issue." They are social issues. A true libertarian has no use for qualifiers on liberty. "Social liberty" is the idea that securing individual rights does not guarantee liberty - that extra steps are required to be sure that "everyone has a fair shake" or whatever it is that Obama is always saying. "Social liberalism" is what brings us concepts like "the right to housing" and "the right to healthcare"
    My beliefs can be summed up very easily: You have the right to do whatever it is that makes you happy as long as you don't affect anyone else's right to do the same.

    In order to provide a government service you have to take money from someone who earned it. Government services are not a civil right. They must be paid for somehow, and the how must be discussed, therefore they are an economic issue.

  6. #26
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:37 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,285

    Re: Question for Libertarians

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    On a relative scale, maybe. On the absolute scale, we tend to have little in a real commonality with the Republocrats.
    Yes, I would agree with that. You can try to compare them issue vs. issue, but that distracts from the underlying philosophical differences.

    However, the purpose of my post was not to so much to try to line up libertarians with Republicans, but to challenge the idea that Democrats are like libertarians on social issues. A "social liberal" is a very, very different animal.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Question for Libertarians

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    Minarchism



    Minarchism (also known as minimal statism) is a libertarian capitalist political philosophy. It is variously defined by sources. In the strictest sense, it holds that states ought to exist (as opposed to anarchy), that their only legitimate function is the protection of individuals from aggression, theft, breach of contract, and fraud, and that the only legitimate governmental institutions are the military, police, and courts. In the broadest sense, it also includes fire departments, prisons, the executive, and legislatures as legitimate government functions. Such states are generally called night-watchman states.

    Minarchists argue that the state has no authority to use its monopoly of force to interfere with free transactions between people, and see the state's sole responsibility as ensuring that contracts between private individuals and property are protected, through a system of law courts and enforcement. Minarchists generally believe a laissez-faire approach to the economy is most likely to lead to economic prosperity.
    I consider it a public service to educate the populace about the meaning of this word. I use it often in my posts (as I did in the post just above this one).

    It's important for people to know that libertarianism is not anarchism, and that state minimalism can exist without corrupt posses in the streets determining who lives and who dies by the size of their price tags.

  8. #28
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:37 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,285

    Re: Question for Libertarians

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    I agree with GuyIncognito, those are not social issues. If you could be educated, collect welfare, or health care without the help of the state, that would be a social/civil rights issue. Because they are directly funded by the state they are economic issues.
    This just doesn't make any sense, sorry. The primary role the government play in civil rights is to protect them. Of course, protection - like every other function of the government - costs money, so to follow your logic to its end, there really is no such thing as a social issue, they are all economic issues.

  9. #29
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-18-18 @ 06:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    10,124

    Re: Question for Libertarians

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    Am I'm mistaken or is the Libertarian Party in the same conservative family as the Republican Party?
    When it comes to economics, they are generally in the same family (although some Republicans are protectionists). Social issues and foreign policy issues they are almost opposites.

    Keep in mind, not all (l)ibertarians are supporters of the LP. Also, libertarianism has Left Wing roots, though it became associated with the Right later in the 20th century.
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

  10. #30
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Question for Libertarians

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Be sure to also check the "I form my opinions based on hyperbole, intellectually dishonest analogy, hysteria, and propaganda" box as well.
    Sure because someone who calls themselves a libertarian are as honest as a progressive who supports Obama

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •