View Poll Results: How did you vote

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • married or in long term relationship voted obama

    4 66.67%
  • single and voted obama

    0 0%
  • lesbian but in long term relationship voted obama

    2 33.33%
  • single and lib but voted Romney

    0 0%
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 174

Thread: For liberal women only

  1. #81
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: For liberal women only

    Quote Originally Posted by WWGWD View Post
    I obviously can't speak to the experience you've had, to be totally honest, I am only 10 years out from being a preachy hippy, who really did think that the only conservatives were at least older then 30. However, I don't really agree with the characterization of how Mrs. Romney and Former Governor Palin were perceived. The problem I had with the women had nothing really to do with the stereotypes you mentioned. With Mrs. Romney, it's more about what we talked about on the other topic. The way she fretted about her weight, and described her last fight with her husband. She seemed like a superficial example of a women, and generally unappealing as a role model. Gov. Palin, was a totally different story. I think she likes to look dumb. She likes to say provocative things that instigate her nay sayers into calling her stupid and making jokes about her. She's very intelligent, and knows how to use her controversial image to make a living. There's nothing wrong with it, there just isn't any value in it for the electorate.
    Ann Romney - I've admired and hated the woman at different times. I think she tries to maintain a public persona - people ask her personal questions and she answers it safely and sweetly. I don't believe she's always like that outside of such public arenas. Of course - she's the product of a very wealthy marriage, if they were an average american couple she would have had no choice but to work after her kids were grown and out of the house (in the time when she didn't have kids living at home - and before MS started to be a serious issue for her to deal with daily).

    I read a lot about her life in those between years and she was busy as if employed full time with countless charities and boards she served on - all noble and necessary causes. They just weren't income-driven positions to fill. Once i learned that I couldn't fault her anymore. She did work her ass off - she just didn't bring home a paycheck. Which is something the average American does NOT do.

    Compare Ann her to my mother in law (and grandmother in law - and others on my husband's side of the family) - they were wealthy enough not to be gainfully employed (in high-dollar California) . . . and they were nothing but greedy, snide, drug addicted rednecks in a nice house.

    Palin started out great, honestly (in the beginning of her political career). Motivated, solid, strong, admired, supported, driven. I think she slipped downhill. In all honesty - looking into her developing political career, she became more concerned about herself, cocky, and just lost her mission (if she had one). She fell apart - and putting her in the national spotlight just made it that much worse. . .hence = we saw her train wreck.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  2. #82
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:24 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,467

    Re: For liberal women only

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    The stereotypical Republican woman is barefoot and in the kitchen. . . who wants to be a part of that concept?

    And she has 5 kids.

    And can't read. (lol - ok, so that one's made up)
    Or maybe Republican women are "sitting there like some little woman standing by her man, like Tammy Wynette".....and "staying home and baking cookies and having teas."

    LOL

  3. #83
    Advisor WWGWD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Last Seen
    07-01-13 @ 11:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    425

    Re: For liberal women only

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Ann Romney - I've admired and hated the woman at different times. I think she tries to maintain a public persona - people ask her personal questions and she answers it safely and sweetly. I don't believe she's always like that outside of such public arenas. Of course - she's the product of a very wealthy marriage, if they were an average american couple she would have had no choice but to work after her kids were grown and out of the house (in the time when she didn't have kids living at home - and before MS started to be a serious issue for her to deal with daily).

    I read a lot about her life in those between years and she was busy as if employed full time with countless charities and boards she served on - all noble and necessary causes. They just weren't income-driven positions to fill. Once i learned that I couldn't fault her anymore. She did work her ass off - she just didn't bring home a paycheck. Which is something the average American does NOT do.

    Compare Ann her to my mother in law (and grandmother in law - and others on my husband's side of the family) - they were wealthy enough not to be gainfully employed (in high-dollar California) . . . and they were nothing but greedy, snide, drug addicted rednecks in a nice house.
    I don't entirely disagree with you. As someone who's job is to work with non profit organizations all over the country, I know exactly what kind of work and issues she dedicated herself to. My struggle with her, and this is purely a like ability issue, is her attitude about her relationship and her life. She always seemed very blahzay about her own worth. All of the stories she would tell seemed to center around her husband's accomplishments and goals. Of course, this was all in the context of her husband's campaign, and I'll admit I didn't spend that much time getting to know her. But that is because she nearly always came off as a bland person, who actively worked to become a character. It was disappointing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Palin started out great, honestly (in the beginning of her political career). Motivated, solid, strong, admired, supported, driven. I think she slipped downhill. In all honesty - looking into her developing political career, she became more concerned about herself, cocky, and just lost her mission (if she had one). She fell apart - and putting her in the national spotlight just made it that much worse. . .hence = we saw her train wreck.
    She seriously still is a train wreck. It's the train wreck that never ends!!! lol I think she became more interested promoting herself and staying relevant, then having an impact on people's lives and helping to make our country better. She really just erked me from the start, lol
    "....The people can not be all, and always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions it is a lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty...." -Jefferson 1787

  4. #84
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,358

    Re: For liberal women only

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    I am fiscally conservative, and socially liberal, and if I'm not voting libertarian, it is almost always for the conservative on the ticket.
    You're like a mini-me. *Dr. Evil pinkie-to-the-mouth*


  5. #85
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: For liberal women only

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Or maybe Republican women are "sitting there like some little woman standing by her man, like Tammy Wynette".....and "staying home and baking cookies and having teas."

    LOL
    - yes, some are exactly like that - stereotypes are based on reality

    Quote Originally Posted by WWGWD View Post
    I don't entirely disagree with you. As someone who's job is to work with non profit organizations all over the country, I know exactly what kind of work and issues she dedicated herself to. My struggle with her, and this is purely a like ability issue, is her attitude about her relationship and her life. She always seemed very blahzay about her own worth. All of the stories she would tell seemed to center around her husband's accomplishments and goals. Of course, this was all in the context of her husband's campaign, and I'll admit I didn't spend that much time getting to know her. But that is because she nearly always came off as a bland person, who actively worked to become a character. It was disappointing.
    Hehe - I was in a debate, trashing her to smithereens and doing an impressive job of it. . . until my debate 'need to get the quotable facts' side reared its head and I went to research just how much she wasted her adult life.

    And ate my words.

    I don't like her *personality* - but that's not the same as the significant good she's done with her life.

    Just like me and Obama - as a person he's great. I just don't like his politics.

    She seriously still is a train wreck. It's the train wreck that never ends!!! lol I think she became more interested promoting herself and staying relevant, then having an impact on people's lives and helping to make our country better. She really just erked me from the start, lol
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  6. #86
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:24 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,467

    Re: For liberal women only

    Talking about Anne Romney...when she said she was a stay home mom I couldn't help but wonder which manision she stayed at home in and how many nannies, maids and cooks she had. I didn't buy her pretense to be an average American woman one bit...especially after it was revealed that her hobby was collecting rare show horses. The Romney's were so out of touch with the average American it wasn't even funny.

  7. #87
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: For liberal women only

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Talking about Anne Romney...when she said she was a stay home mom I couldn't help but wonder which manision she stayed at home in and how many nannies, maids and cooks she had. I didn't buy her pretense to be an average American woman one bit...especially after it was revealed that her hobby was collecting rare show horses. The Romney's were so out of touch with the average American it wasn't even funny.
    LOL! Heavens - I didn't know about the horses.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  8. #88
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,358

    Re: For liberal women only

    I'm pretty sure the Romney kids said they didn't have nannies.


  9. #89
    Advisor WWGWD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Last Seen
    07-01-13 @ 11:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    425

    Re: For liberal women only

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Hehe - I was in a debate, trashing her to smithereens and doing an impressive job of it. . . until my debate 'need to get the quotable facts' side reared its head and I went to research just how much she wasted her adult life.

    And ate my words.

    I don't like her *personality* - but that's not the same as the significant good she's done with her life.

    Just like me and Obama - as a person he's great. I just don't like his politics.



    I don't think she is a bad person, by any means. You are definitely right though, I really didn't like her personality, so didn't care to know more. I definitely did eventually learn about the things she did in her life, but it didn't really change anything for me about her impact on the larger discussion of a Presidential race. She seemed to want to take a background role, and really became inconsequential for me. It makes me sad to see such an intelligent person, with an incredible heart, take a path that is not nearly as impact full as it could have been. But its all about perspectives, and mine is definitely slanted to the side of wanting women in her position to really show the strength of women, in their own right. Not just through their husband and their children. I'm very aware of my own bias on that point, lol.
    "....The people can not be all, and always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions it is a lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty...." -Jefferson 1787

  10. #90
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: For liberal women only

    Quote Originally Posted by WWGWD View Post
    I don't think she is a bad person, by any means. You are definitely right though, I really didn't like her personality, so didn't care to know more. I definitely did eventually learn about the things she did in her life, but it didn't really change anything for me about her impact on the larger discussion of a Presidential race. She seemed to want to take a background role, and really became inconsequential for me. It makes me sad to see such an intelligent person, with an incredible heart, take a path that is not nearly as impact full as it could have been. But its all about perspectives, and mine is definitely slanted to the side of wanting women in her position to really show the strength of women, in their own right. Not just through their husband and their children. I'm very aware of my own bias on that point, lol.
    Heh - it made me wonder what I would do if my husband was into politics instead of the military.

    I'd be as uninvolved as possible, really. Though that seems to be impossible for all wives of such in this country. Just like my husband's current job - I try to stay the heck away from it. His job, not mine - but through him I'm sucked in it, too.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •